Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vince Carter would like to have his Raptors jersey retired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vince Carter would like to have his Raptors jersey retired...

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...y-retired.html

To be honest, do we really hate Vince Carter that much anymore? I mean there are still people who hold a huge grudge against him for throwing out games, not playing 100% each games, quitting the Raptors and his attitude in genearl. I used to really hate Carter especially since he was my childhood hero when I was still in elementary school and I hated to see him go in such a way. But as I grow older (not that old but you get the point), the hatred sorta died off and I just don't really have much hatred for him as much as I used to. Booing Carter just doesn't have that satisfaction anymore. I guess you could say I forgive him or don't really care much about it anymore. Does anyone else feel this way? If so, do you think we should retire his jersey? Whether you like him or not, you can't deny that he's easily the best player to ever wear a Raptor uniform.

No, I do not think we should retire his jersey. I used to love the guy too, I even still rooted for him in Jersey. But he had a terrible reputation with "leadership" and "effort" even long before he left, never won any major awards, and never even took us to the conference finals. Hang that jersey and it sets a terrible precedent for "success" in Toronto. The Raptors haven't even hit there first truly proud era, yet. It will happen.

Hopefully JV can retire with a retired jersey or heaven forbid even an NBA title (2021-22 Champs?)
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Yes. I think they should retire or honour his jersey. He's easily the greatest Raptors of all time. And the guy singlehandedly put Toronto and Canada in the NBA map.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

i rather retire calderons jersey.. and im no big calderon fan but he is a straight pro.. and how many number 15's have we had since he left? only garbo comes to mind but aren't there any others
        No Dissrespect...
        With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

Amir and I agree for Jose... I'd rather retire Jose and I would not retire Jose as of now so that being said I would not retire Vince... At least for now

Comment

Enough VC threads...
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

oh ya duh amir.. and no i wouldn't retire it now but say he stayed a few more solid seasons then ya.. he's the most loyal professional player we've had who puts up solid numbers every year under the radar... also the teams all time assist leader

again no jose dick rider by any means.. just sayin i rather see his jersey go up than VC.. i dont hate him but we shouldn't reward him with the honour
              Last edited by Afro_Daddy; Thu Nov 8, 2012, 02:32 AM.
              No Dissrespect...
              With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                Yes. I think they should retire or honour his jersey. He's easily the greatest Raptors of all time. And the guy singlehandedly put Toronto and Canada in the NBA map.

Yeah he put them on the map, and he just as quickly took them off it. This guy paid no respect to the Raptors, he had a disagreement with his bosses and he quit til they shipped him out of town. Why should they hang his jersey for eternity? Retiring jerseys is for players that lead sustained periods of greatness and win championships, not for some clown dunker who never got out of the second round.

Comment

I would rather retire Calderon's jersey than VC's.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                    To be honest, do we really hate Vince Carter that much anymore?
                    Yes.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Besides, retiring a jersey should be about more than just having had a nice dunk fest for a couple of years and 1 playoff round won. Wait til we actually have a legit team that goes deep in the post season or a real franchise player who actually leads us somewhere.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

VC represents everything that has gone wrong with this franchise. Wanna-be stars with poor leadership who quit on the team to play elsewhere. VC could have changed the course of this franchise if he had played hard, let Bosh develop and formed a great inside-outside duo that could have changed everything. Instead he tanked, drove his value into the ground, then suddenly remembered how good he could be once he was traded to New Jersery.

VC will continue to represent evil for many fans, and to retire his jersey would be a disgusting act of publicity and nothing more.

I don't think anyone in Raptors history deserves to have their jersey retired. A case could be made for Jose if he re-signs for less and continues to be a good back-up for another 3 years, but even then, he would be getting in as a character guy rather than an all-time great. You want your number retired, then put a couple of banners up there first.

If we were to consider any of the former Raps, I'd put Bosh ahead of VC anyway. Bosh at least led the team to a division title and played hard the whole time.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                          Enough VC threads...
                          +1 in the past 2 days we've had enough to make an everything wince thread.

Comment

my VC hate has softened a great deal over the years..... but FUCK NO

for what? getting media attention? for being the best player on a middle of the pack at best team? for winning a dunk competition?

i can only think of a few good reasons to retire somebody's jersey...

1. the player is the best player on a (at the very least) very good team... ie/ Payton, if the Sonics still existed...

2. the player's name and the team are almost synonymous.. the player contributed greatly and helped define the identity of the team for a significant period of time.. ie/ Pippen in Chicago

3. rings

1 & 3 dont exist here..

and VC does not fall into 2... hell, he was actually contradictory to what the team culture was at the time he was here... the raps were a blue collar gritty team... he was flashy

if anybody gets retired in Toronto... it should be Alvin Williams

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                              http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...y-retired.html

To be honest, do we really hate Vince Carter that much anymore?
                              No

Its so funny how these guys go from being brash arrogant diva's to humble omg-what-did-i-do boys at the end of their run.

VC knows its almost over and is starting to think of life after ball his best years were in Toronto and NJ. NJ is gone... so
                              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Working...
                              X