Sheridanhoops review of the Raptors offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheridanhoops review of the Raptors offseason

I personally think if you don't want to have a headache from too much stupidity in one article, then don't read this. But that's my personal opinion.

TORONTO RAPTORS – Landry Fields is a nice player and a nice kid. But he is not worth $20 million – nor a fraction thereof. Easily the worst off-season signing in the NBA – even worse than the Suns giving Michael Beasley $18 million over three years. Big V (aka Jonas Valanciunas) may one day blossom into a very good NBA center. Right now he will lead the league in fouls per minute unless challenged by Kravtzov. DeMar DeRozan will be playing for his next contract. Jose Calderon is one spin cycle away from being washed up. Andrea Bargnani is their best player, and there ain’t a whole lot around him. Also, as bad as the Fields signing was, maybe an even worse move for the long-term was giving away this year’s lottery pick (unless it is Top 3) to Houston for Kyle Lowry. Calderon probably makes Top 3 on the Most Likely to be Traded List. As bad as they will be, they will be more entertaining to watch than both Charlotte and Detroit.

Grade: D-
    http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/08...-cards-part-v/
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

lol, very little substance in that "analysis". Bleacher Report-esque.

Comment

Not exactly a well-thought out and reasoned article. Have they even seen a Raptors game before? They certainly don't seem to know very much about the team.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

"Sheridanhoops review of the Raptors offseason" grade F.

Comment

He hit some correct points but it's almost as though he simply Googled the Raptors, wrote a couple quick notes and then wrote this. He did absolutely no analysis of the team really and I would be amazed if he could name three Raptors not mentioned here.

Comment

Some things drive me nuts, Landry is signed for less than 19 mil total, but somehow is is always a 20 million deal reported...now I do think we over paid a bit, but at least report it honestly. The other thing is we did not give up a lottery pick for Lowry, it has not played out yet...I don't get it.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              Some things drive me nuts, Landry is signed for less than 19 mil total, but somehow is is always a 20 million deal reported...now I do think we over paid a bit, but at least report it honestly. The other thing is we did not give up a lottery pick for Lowry, it has not played out yet...I don't get it.
              Not only that but, regardless when/what pick the Raptors do eventually giveup to Houston, the article didn't seem to include any on-court analysis/benefit of the Lowry acquisition. Who cares what we gave up, I want an assessment of what he will mean to the 2012-13 Raptors team on the court and in the win column. Same goes for Fields - who cares what we paid for Fields, since the team still has loads of financial flexibility going forward; what will he mean to the team?

And as a domino effect, what will the additions of Valanciunas and Lowry mean for the 2nd unit, as their addition is bumping starters to the bench (Gray/Amir and Calderon - JJ was traded, so Fields can't be considered in this train of thought). Not only is the starting unit improved at 3 positions (4 if Bargnani stays healthy all season), but the bench is deep and skilled, which should give them a big advantage.

Too many "experts" take a cursory glance at the Raptors' offseason headlines and don't actually give it much thought. These types of analyses are about as deep as a puddle.

Comment

chris sheridan is a notorious buffoon
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Seems like he was just trying to find as many ways as possible to roast on the Raptors. He's just talking about about the Fields contract, Jonas' foul trouble, and the fact that we gave up a 1st round pick, but he's completely ignoring the fact that those 3 additions will actually improve our team!

Comment

Every article I have read on that website has been bullshit. It's amazing. Chris Bernucca makes multiple factual mistakes in every column, and Sheridan seems to write his stuff in 15 minutes based on stuff he learned off twitter.

Comment

This was probably the worst piece of sports writing my eyes have ever be forced to read. All he did was list 3 bad qualities of the offseason, even though our pick next year will be in the 7-15 range for sure. No where does it mention how lowry will bolster the defence or how Val will be on the bench with calderon creating a very strong bench for toronto. I like these articles though because it shows that the raptors need to play well and shut these critics up and i can't wait till it happens this year.

Comment

fields is much worse then the asik contract :S
                        beasley at 6 mil per year isnt bad at all
                        the only thing he got right was that demar is playing for a new contract

Comment

These reviews are pretty funny. In the end its just a blogger writing what he wants because he needs to enter his daily quota. But it's really just one man's opinion. A team that has missed the playoffs for 4 seasons and still has no franchise altering talent is usually always going to get poor grades from the masses.

The funniest thing out of everything he wrote was that he considered Fields' contract the worst signing. This was the same off season where Brook Lopez got a max contract.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            ... This was the same off season where Brook Lopez got a max contract.
                            Every time I read about that it makes me puke in my mouth a lil bit. Brook Freakin Lopez. MAX. yeesh. Dude is injury prone (bad feet/ankles in a centre? That's only going to get worse with age/minutes) is almost as averse to rebounding as Bargs and is a terrible defender. At least Bargnani bought into DC's plan and his help D was much improved last season. Brook, on the other hand, doesn't have the range of AB, none of the moves, no handles, no hops and only average motor. IMO, as a certified Bargs hater, Brook Lopez makes AB look All NBA.

And yet he always gets a pass from the US media. I don't usually pull this card but let's face it: It's because BL is a Yank and played all his ball Stateside. If he were a Euro they'd be killing him the way they do Andrea.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Just look at his view of the Knicks lol. For those who don't know Sheridan is a BIG Knicks backer

Comment

Working...
                              X