Eurobasket 2011 - JV vs AB??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurobasket 2011 - JV vs AB??

Just perused the article over at Raptors HQ and it seems the general consensus is that JV will take it to Bargs?THis is all completely circumstantial but IF they play against each other and/or guard each other, am I over-valuing Bagnani's offense in thinking that JV is gonna have a hell of a time guarding him?

On another note, Bargs post defense isnt that bad? so one on one i dont thing JV has the body or experience to make anything happen by himself in the post, will he clean up the boards and get a million putbacks cause Bargs cant keep track of him? Most definately...

Those are my thoughts, not yours...

discuss.

I agree. JV will get most of his points off putbacks. And although I don't agree that Bargs' D is good, I think its at least good enough to stop JV's one on one game.

On the other side Im not entirely sure how good JV's one on one D is, especially when stretched out to 18 feet and beyond, but I doubt hel be able to keep up with Bargnani.

I give the edge to Bargnani in this one. Would be fun to see the young JV take the challenge extra seriously and really go at AB though.

Comment

i have a hard time thinking italy would put bargs on JV, but more because i think bargs would have trouble handling the PnR, and they don't want somebody as weak on the glass trying to box out JV. bargs will (read: should be able to) handle JV one-on-one in the blocks (not exactly a great feat, btw), so i doubt lithuania would look to post him up with JV...but overall, i think people may be making this out to be more than it is. has JV even made the senior team? and if he has/does, it's not as though he's going to get nearly the same PT he did in the U19. so, the opportunity for he & bargs to 'square off' is likely pretty minimal.
      TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Jonas will likely be playing the back up role for Lituania so he likely won't guard bargs that much. If he did Lituania would be in trouble as I don't think Val could handle Bargs defensively at all. Andrea has size and strength on Val plus he is faster off his first step than Val is able to keep up with. Val may be able to grab some offensive boards and could be able to get some points off flash cuts but I really don't think that he could do enough damage to avenge what Bargs did to him. This would be a guy who scored 20 pts/game in the NBA against a guy who has never played big minutes in a pro league. It would not be pretty for our newest young player. That all said, if Val grows stronger and fills out, he could easily be the one to root for in 2 years.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

apparently my evaluation of the "general consensus" is flawed...Havent read a thing i didnt agree with yet...

Comment

Italy will have some real offensive fire power with Bargnani, Gallinari, and Bellinelli. Hopefully, they will have a few bangers on that team. Who was that guy that suckered Dornekamp a couple of years ago?

Comment

as others have pointed out JV could cause some problems in the PNR, cuts, and O board put backs. JV was a weak post defender and a weak perimeter defender in euro league last year. Unless he has made significant improvements bargs should eat him up and shit him out. Also Bargs will be a start and JV will most likely be a bench player, and is not even a guaranteed lock to make the team. But I'd really like to watch the game if they played each other.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Jackson wrote: View Post
                I agree. JV will get most of his points off putbacks. And although I don't agree that Bargs' D is good, I think its at least good enough to stop JV's one on one game.

On the other side Im not entirely sure how good JV's one on one D is, especially when stretched out to 18 feet and beyond, but I doubt hel be able to keep up with Bargnani.

I give the edge to Bargnani in this one. Would be fun to see the young JV take the challenge extra seriously and really go at AB though.
                Bargnani is considered to be a good post one on one defender. I read an article a month or so ago about his stop percentage and it is quite high. I don't think he will have much success defending the pick and roll or rebounding though. who knows thought, maybe the threat of being shown up by a 19 year old teammate will bring out his inner average rebounding.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                  Bargnani is considered to be a good post one on one defender. I read an article a month or so ago about his stop percentage and it is quite high.
                  No it's not. This is the latest biggest myth about Bargnani. One just has to watch him over a series of games to see he's not good. I've said it before, but he plays defense well against certain types of players in very specific circumstances, but overall he's below average. The problem is his fans remember the few good games he played and not the vast majority of games when he struggled defensively.

One reason that it may seem, statistically, that he's a good post defender is the majority of times he's defending the other team's worst front court player, no matter what position that may be. That's going to make anyone's numbers look inflated.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Will the young Jonas, son of Lithuania, who bestoweth the crown of 'MVP' in the Games of the U19 take it to Bargnani, son of Italy, supposed heir to the throne of the city of Raptors, who bestoweth the crown of Me No 'D'?

Who will raise their hands in victory when the games end? Who will have the thou enormous nuts, upon arrival in 2012's training camp? Will it be Jonas 'Jonazz' Valanciunas...or...Andrea Il Pasta Bargnani?
                    Last edited by GameBreaker; Fri Jul 15, 2011, 12:30 PM.
                    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

It's curious that Bargnani has yet to produce outstanding stats in a FIBA event. 12.7 is his best scoring average to date.

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa...//players.html

Comment

They're not even in the same pool so the chances of them playing each other is pretty slim.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                          They're not even in the same pool so the chances of them playing each other is pretty slim.
                          THis is all completely circumstantial but IF they play against each other and/or guard each other
                          Chancho. When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            No it's not. This is the latest biggest myth about Bargnani. One just has to watch him over a series of games to see he's not good. I've said it before, but he plays defense well against certain types of players in very specific circumstances, but overall he's below average. The problem is his fans remember the few good games he played and not the vast majority of games when he struggled defensively.

One reason that it may seem, statistically, that he's a good post defender is the majority of times he's defending the other team's worst front court player, no matter what position that may be. That's going to make anyone's numbers look inflated.
                            What people fail to realize Tim.W is that Bargs will be put in situation to be a help defender more than a one on one defender. And we all now how bad Bargs is in terms of help defense.

Comment

Jackson wrote: View Post

I respectfully disagree. JV will "prison rape" Bargs. Book it.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                              X