If the Raptors are buyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Raptors are buyers

The majority of us here are team tank but let's take a mental break appreciate we are in 4th and if the playoffs started tomorrow we could beat anyone in the east (with the exception of Miami and Indiana).

Having said that we are still not contenders, we are quite a long way off. Our team right now isn't built for consistent domination.

but if the raptors were buyers (then realistically it would be a short sighted win now move) what do you think we could/should target?

Our biggest weakness is backup pg - we have 3 of them and combined they are averaging 2.2 assists per game. We would need a vet who would make smart decisions.
    Targets: Bucks - Ridnour, Rockets - Beverly or Brooks, Lakers - Blake or Farmar, Blazers - Watson, Wolves - Barea

What else could the Raptors do in a buyers market? Do you think it would still include a large shake up [ala the Josh Smith thread]?

I would buy solid PF, vet C and vet PG.

Teams can't win without solid PF/C. JV isn't there yet and having mentor-friend-teammate would be great for him.

In my opinion, any moves made by Raps will be large shake up. One or two role players ain't what we need.

Comment

The Raptors need elite talent or they need a collection of extremely high IQ players if they are going to play to win.

The former is not going to happen with the Raptors current assets.

The latter requires a roster overhaul so warm up the tank.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        The Raptors need elite talent or they need a collection of extremely high IQ players if they are going to play to win.

The former is not going to happen with the Raptors current assets.

The latter requires a roster overhaul so warm up the tank.
        Umm I don't think you can just state that like it's a fact. It wouldn't be impossible for the Raptors to acquire an elite talent without going via the draft. Although I agree that the draft is the most likely way to pull that off.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
          Umm I don't think you can just state that like it's a fact. It wouldn't be impossible for the Raptors to acquire an elite talent without going via the draft. Although I agree that the draft is the most likely way to pull that off.
          You're right.

Although if you can come up with a trade scenario where Toronto gets an All-NBA talent and has any room to improve, I'd be very impressed.

Comment

The longer the season goes on, I think this retooling route is more likely to happen
            "Masai WILL win us a championship"
            - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

You're right.

Although if you can come up with a trade scenario where Toronto gets an All-NBA talent and has any room to improve, I'd be very impressed.

I was thinking about that quite a bit as well but there's such disparity in the league that a Celtics (big 3) type build it really difficult.

The only thing we could muster would be a

1) Deng rental (could be aquired with Demar -- a stretch but possible because DD is signed to a reasonable contract, Butler can play the 3 and the only reason Deng isn't signed is because he will be costly --- Bulls ownership could handle DDs salary range

2)Smith + Gay swap this one makes sense if we got Deng ... Deng/Smith/JV would be a strong rebounding, defensive lineup

3) Rondo --- this is the most difficult to swallow because we would have to give up picks. Lowry + Novak + Gray + multiple picks or Lowry + Fields + multiple picks

Rondo
              Ross
              Deng
              Smith/Hansbrough
              JV/Amir

This concept is far fetched because there are so many moving parts, it would require Rondo to return fully to form (more Westbrook, less Roy, Stoudemire, Rose). Chemistry would have to click right away with Deng on a expiring contract . Finally, Pistons would have to be prepared to give up on a borderline allstar who they have signed to a reasonable contract after only a handful of games into the season.

As well, it would stunt our future growth and our bench problems still wouldn't be address (which would require further wheeling and dealing)

Comment

connected wrote: View Post
                I was thinking about that quite a bit as well but there's such disparity in the league that a Celtics (big 3) type build it really difficult.

The only thing we could muster would be a

1) Deng rental (could be aquired with Demar -- a stretch but possible because DD is signed to a reasonable contract, Butler can play the 3 and the only reason Deng isn't signed is because he will be costly --- Bulls ownership could handle DDs salary range

2)Smith + Gay swap this one makes sense if we got Deng ... Deng/Smith/JV would be a strong rebounding, defensive lineup

3) Rondo --- this is the most difficult to swallow because we would have to give up picks. Lowry + Novak + Gray + multiple picks or Lowry + Fields + multiple picks

Rondo
                Ross
                Deng
                Smith/Hansbrough
                JV/Amir

This concept is far fetched because there are so many moving parts, it would require Rondo to return fully to form (more Westbrook, less Roy, Stoudemire, Rose). Chemistry would have to click right away with Deng on a expiring contract . Finally, Pistons would have to be prepared to give up on a borderline allstar who they have signed to a reasonable contract after only a handful of games into the season.

As well, it would stunt our future growth and our bench problems still wouldn't be address (which would require further wheeling and dealing)
                1) Here is a good article on why Deng out and DeMar in likely does not fly:

Chicago is due to pay luxury tax again this season. The Bulls are currently $7,540,428 over the threshold and are not likely at all to get under it. This, then, puts them in line for the repeater rates should they pay luxury tax again in either of the next two seasons.

The Bulls' projected total expenditure this season after tax is due to be $91,234,177. The same payroll with the same hypothetical tax threshold, when subject to repeater tax, would result in a total expenditure of $98,774,605. This again demonstrates the effectiveness of the repeater tax. A team now only a mere few million over the luxury tax, then, is starting to get incredibly expensive, to the point that being one good player over the threshold puts it at a near nine-figure payroll. (Imagine if Chicago had Omer Asik's $14.8 million to contend with next season, too. Add that in and run the same numbers. Chicago did. And that is why the Bulls let him walk.)

The Bulls could potentially pay this nearly nine-figure repeater tax amount. Even if they often do not spend as such, they are a big-market, high-revenue team. A smaller-market team, however, could not. Given its self-imposed payroll restrictions, Chicago likely cannot either.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/11/21/5...-chicago-bulls
                2) I don't think Smith is anymore the answer than Gay.... just my opinion.

3) I don't think Boston trades Rondo for just picks which is what this deal essentially is.

The bold I totally agree with. It also doesn't address the possibility of Deng leaving after this season and Rondo leaving after next season. Where are the Raptors at that point?

Any trade that sees Toronto trading a draft pick has to have a core in place that is sustainable for years (i.e. guys with 3/4 years under contract remaining or players on rookie deals). Smith is the only player who meets that criteria when talking Deng and Rondo.

In my opinion any trade that discuss bringing in players like Rondo or Smith to add to this current core stinks of Colangelo. They are big high risk moves giving up valuable assets that don't guarantee the Raptors success short or long term.

Comment

The first thing i think this team needs is a coach with the guts to look Rudy in the eyes and tell him "You ain't shit" Yes I'm biased towards DD, i'll be the first to admit but still i don't remember Demar playing hero ball to that extent, but after watching Bargnani, Anderson and now Rudy get licenses to fire at will come Hell or high water, i think that's the first step to changing team culture. Casey is all talk. Accountability is something he says for the cameras. Problem is here when we label a guy as the "THE GUY" here in Raptorland we gave them a free pass daily instead of holding him to a higher standard. Amir is limited i get it, but why is he not one of the team captains over aformentioned players. ? i don't know maybe its just Hockey Vs NBA thing where character is not as important.

But i think you were looking for player suggestions. First i'd say a better Landry fields type guy who can shoot, to take the place of one of DD/Rudy.
                  Tyler and Amir are more then fine as back up bigs. a Power forward who can pass and is strong to handle the Defense down low. If he can shoot the better but not necessary.
                  PG lowry is ok, but honestly having Lowry and Calderon was perfect expiring or not the only overlapping skill they had was the 3 ball, with stone on the bench.

We don't have an all-star, WE DON'T period. borderline All-star, All-star potential, All-star caliber désignations does not exist and is incredibly suggestive; we need to recognize what we have and play accordingly, share the love every night and find the guy who's hot some night it might be AAron gray erupting for 30 and 15. We don't have that guy who will bring every single night no matter what the opposing team throws at him, so lets stop playing like we do. This is how guys like Lance Stephenson, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Nic Vucevic, made a name for themselves, remove the All-star and see who has been ignored and is capable of so much more.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                    They could really use a 4 with a power offensive game, a player that plays close to the rim on offense.
                    Like Julius Randle?

Comment

Like Julius Randle?
                      Randle might be the guy who scares me the most in the top of this draft. He's so obviously a force offensively and on the glass, but I haven't seen/read one good thing about his D so far.

It worries me...and obviously the fact that our last 2 PFs were Bosh and Bargs, and both were top 5 picks doesn't help this feeling. Don't want to draft another guy where our D has to be designed to cover their flaws.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                        Yes, but they'd have to get really horrible to have a chance at him. They'd still suck 5 years from now if they did that.
                        If they were not able to add any other players beyond 2014, if Gay and DD continue to jack 38 shots a game, and if JV is as bad as you think - then yes, I would agree.

Comment

Randle is a potential all star but he has yet to play against an elite defender this season like Wiggins who owned Randle (sort of) last season.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Randle might be the guy who scares me the most in the top of this draft. He's so obviously a force offensively and on the glass, but I haven't seen/read one good thing about his D so far.

It worries me...and obviously the fact that our last 2 PFs were Bosh and Bargs, and both were top 5 picks doesn't help this feeling. Don't want to draft another guy where our D has to be designed to cover their flaws.
                            That description you gave reminds me of Kevin Love --- when all is said and done Love will go down as one the NBA greats but 'sota hasn't gone anywhere in the last 5 season (injuries are partially to blame) if the raps were lucky enough to snag randle lets hope that wouldn't be the same outcome

Hopefully before Randle is NBA bound he takes a look at Duncan and becomes Mr. Fundamental jr.

Comment

um, if the raptors are buyers....and maybe im crazy, but what are they buying with? Buttons? Because they have no cash to buy anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X