This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack in the Box

The question from M. Grange ™ was specifically about Jarrett Jack, who seemed more of his chatty bon vivant self in the last couple of games – and it elicited this response from Jay.
    “If you’re playing on a team and you look back for the guy who’s making the calls or who’s bringing the ball up the floor and they’re hanging their heads or in a sour frame of mind, you start wondering what’s wrong with him instead of what can we do to get better.

“I think it builds our whole team when our leaders – all of them, I’m talking about Chris and Turk and Andrea, everybody – stand tall and they have their heads up and act confident.”

Jarrett admitted that he took a change in the starting lineup personally and that it probably wasn’t the best thing for the team but, really, who can blame him.

These guys, after all, are human, believe it or not. Just imagine how you’d feel if your boss came to you one day and said he was changing your responsibilities? Nothing personal, of course, but you can’t do what you’ve been doing because, well, because we like the other guy better.

It may make sense to an outsider and to sports fans concerned only with the final score feelings often don’t enter into the equation.

But can’t you see how a guy would be irked right off the bat? Understand how it might take a couple of days to get used to a new lot in life?

I can. And I think it says a lot about a guy who gets over it quickly and gets back to being his normal self, which I think we’ve seen Jarrett do over the last few days. As Antoine Wright pointed out:
    "We need him to be upbeat, playing hard, talking, getting everybody involved because that’s when we’re at our best.

"Sometimes body language can be misinterpreted. He’s a mentally tough guy, he just wasn’t having a good week; sometimes people tend to wear their emotions on their sleeve a bit more than other people."

Lord knows (hi, T.J.) that some take a lot longer to deal with it.
    Doug Smith's Toronto Raptors blog

Some very good points about the impact of "losing your job" on person's mind. I am glad to see Jack accepting it quickly. Doug is right that sometimes we don't really notice the "feelings" part of juggling the starting lineup. We typically write it off by saying "what's the big deal if the guy is still getting playing time" or "this guy is making millions to play basketball, get over it princess" but at the end of the day losing a starting gig has to be a shot to a player's ego and that must sting seeing how 99.99% of these guys have been told how great they are at basketball their entire lives.

I'm glad he isn't sulking ala T.J.. That was frustrating as a fan to watch.

That being said, do you guys think the swap of moving Jose back to the starting line-up has really made a change?

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
      I'm glad he isn't sulking ala T.J.. That was frustrating as a fan to watch.

That being said, do you guys think the swap of moving Jose back to the starting line-up has really made a change?
      Short answer: nope

Long answer: hell no.

The move just proved Triano hasn't a clue as to what the problems of the team are. The guy thats been playing his heart out, who drives to the basket and hustles on D gets replaced by a 1 trick pony who struggles to play with the SF on the team. Meanwhile, the 2 deadbeats in the starting line up are still there even though they're the obvious weak links. This team is a joke.

If Jack is pissed then I don't blame him. I'm pissed too.
      Last edited by nubreed000; Wed Mar 24, 2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know (incl. D Smith) why the change was made? Did JT make a statement about it? Sometimes it is easier when the change is explained in a cogent way and even better if the results are self evident.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
          Short answer: nope

Long answer: hell no.

The move just proved Triano hasn't a clue as to what the problems of the team are. The guy thats been playing his heart out, who drives to the basket and hustles on D gets replaced by a 1 trick pony who struggles to play with the SF on the team. Meanwhile, the 2 deadbeats in the starting line up are still there even though they're the obvious weak links. This team is a joke.

If Jack is pissed then I don't blame him. I'm pissed too.
          The bench isn't great. He will improve that.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            The bench isn't great. He will improve that.
            But was this teams biggest weakness the bench? Were we losing games because of our PG rotations? If anything I would say there's AT LEAST 2 guys on the bench who deserve the starting role more than Hedon't and the Bargs

Comment

Fact of the matter is, there is no chance in hell that the coach is going to send two guys to the bench who his boss just gave $100M. It's a lot easier on him to try to make a change using his $20M player instead. Dissect it however you like but that's the reality.

Comment

Working...
              X