The * to Masai's proclamation of, "We will not be caught in no man's land."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The * to Masai's proclamation of, "We will not be caught in no man's land."

A lot of noise made by Raptor fans and media of Masai's "No Man's Land" proclamation... this fan included.

The asterisk to that statement is he has never given a time frame.

Patience is one of Masai's trademark attributes.

Sadly it is not one for many fans - this one included. There are some patient fans out there.... and I'm sure you'll tell us who you are - lol, jokes.

Not only is the associated timeline speculative, but the definition of "no man's land" is completely subjective too. MU is masterful at both saying a lot and saying nothing at all!

Comment

Us fans have been in "no man's land" all season! Thanks Masai!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        A lot of noise made by Raptor fans and media of Masai's "No Man's Land" proclamation... this fan included.

Sadly it is not one for many fans - this one included. There are some patient fans out there.... and I'm sure you'll tell us who you are - lol, jokes.
        If Masai gets into using semantics or tightening definitions or loose time frames of 'no man's land' to justify not being in it (assuming this team ends up there ofcourse... which it looks is well headed to at this point in time), I will be sadly disappointed in what I'll see as our new pseudo - Bryan Colangelo.

I'm finding patience is in the eye of the beholder. To me, not being willing to rebuild through the top of draft shows a lack of patience (not willing to take the time it will inevitably take to do it and effectively). Yet others think starting the rebuild now instead of waiting shows a lack of patience.

Patience is slowly but surely becoming a buzzword more then having any specific or real meaning - as long as one is willing to wait for something, its patience.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Not only is the associated timeline speculative, but the definition of "no man's land" is completely subjective too. MU is masterful at both saying a lot and saying nothing at all!
          My guess is 7-11 with limited means of improvement (ie. capped out, over valued contracts, little potential - any and/or all).

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            If Masai gets into using semantics or tightening definitions or loose time frames of 'no man's land' to justify not being in it (assuming this team ends up there ofcourse... which it looks is well headed to at this point in time), I will be sadly disappointed in what I'll see as our new pseudo - Bryan Colangelo.

I'm finding patience is in the eye of the beholder. To me, not being willing to rebuild through the top of draft shows a lack of patience (not willing to take the time it will inevitably take to do it and effectively). Yet others think starting the rebuild now instead of waiting shows a lack of patience.

Patience is slowly but surely becoming a buzzword more then having any specific or real meaning - as long as one is willing to wait for something, its patience.
            I get your point. And in most cases would agree. The qualifier for our circumstance would be the time at which MU was hired. He was hired after most tanking teams had made their moves. I think his plan was to rebuild this year as evidenced by the Gay/ nixed Lowry trades.

I also think though, that with the number of tanking teams this year, starting the rebuild next year makes more sense. This year, all the teams with long term assets are keeping them, and all the team's that are trying to push for the playoffs either don't have what we want or don't want what we have.

It makes it easier for me to wait when the team is playing second round basketball.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

Well said.

Comment

We are not presently, nor will we be during Masai's reign, in no man's land! If we get to that point, MU will be replaced. We will be knocking on the door of the EC finals by the time we host the all-star game, that is my prediction. As such, I am also predicting there will be no tank.

Comment

Hasn't all this been re-hashed many times? Did this Stein tweet give rise to a surge of tank related topics, yet again? The Sac trade vs Detroit rumour trade comparison, now this. Aren't you people tired of this yet?

It was all doom and gloom going into the season. The huge salary anchor is gone. KL and DD are playing like all-stars. T Ross just had a game for the ages. But the topic of the day is back to "no man's land"? I don't get it.

Comment

You left out the even more interesting followup to the "no man's land" utterance. That being the "guarantee" and then the smoker to the Q "but, how can u guarantee?" with "because I can!".

I thought that was a bit out of character for MU. However (tea leaves here), if seeking for a high pick thru team performance is out then quite possibly signing on an A lister free agent is maybe in the cards and allows for the "patience" m.o. This of course raises the whole LJ & KD meme again.

Comment

A couple years ago someone published a story about Rich Cho talking about the NBA Mediocrity Treadmill (7-11) and everyone bought into that and I think most people probably assumed this is what Masai was talking about when he made that statement about No Man's Land. But if you were a sucker like me, you took the entire hiring process into account meaning you also heard Tim Leiweke speak about winning championships. So then you thought Masai was talking about teams like the Atlanta Hawks' past 6 years -- making the playoffs a bunch of times but never getting much done.

In retrospect it's more likely he was talking about the treadmill, which is unfortunate.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

I'm pretty sure MU was referring to this season. Even though he didn't come right out and say it he definitely made it sound like he was referring to it. At the end of the season if the team finishes in the treadmill area and fans are pissed, he hasn't put himself into a good position to reply that he wasn't referring to this season.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                          Hasn't all this been re-hashed many times? Did this Stein tweet give rise to a surge of tank related topics, yet again? The Sac trade vs Detroit rumour trade comparison, now this. Aren't you people tired of this yet?

It was all doom and gloom going into the season. The huge salary anchor is gone. KL and DD are playing like all-stars. T Ross just had a game for the ages. But the topic of the day is back to "no man's land"? I don't get it.
                          It's drawn good conversation, not sure what your beef is.

Back to the topic, I interpret his "no mans land" as more of a bigger picture, long term trajectory of the team. Don't think Masai cares too much if we finish 8th this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Not sure how you can advocate a tank and say you have no patience. If/when the Raptors go full tank mode, it will be at minimum two full seasons after the tank before the Raps would be even close to respectable again. If they get a superstar, they might be a playoff team by the third year. That's three years of losing (minimum) to get to the playoffs.

Again, that's fine, but if you aren't willing to wait out 50 games, how are you going to wait out 240?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Not sure how you can advocate a tank and say you have no patience. If/when the Raptors go full tank mode, it will be at minimum two full seasons after the tank before the Raps would be even close to respectable again. If they get a superstar, they might be a playoff team by the third year. That's three years of losing (minimum) to get to the playoffs.

Again, that's fine, but if you aren't willing to wait out 50 games, how are you going to wait out 240?
                              I guess that you'd need patience to wait to tank.

I made a post about this somewhere else, but it's not like missing out on 2014 means that we won't ever be able to tank. The question would be, is the 2014 draft so good that it's worth selling assets for less than we could next year, just to get a higher pick this year. This is, of course, assuming we'd get higher valued returns later given this year's success and the market softening up a little.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X