Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors to use the "stretch provision" on Fields!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors to use the "stretch provision" on Fields!

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...ent-storylines

Interesting. So we can buy him out and use the stretch provision to half his salary but double his contract year plus one year. So his new contract would be $2.5 million per year for five years. We can now sign more free agents. Not a bad move by TL and MU. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Sun Jun 30, 2013, 06:17 PM.

Just to make it clear: this would involve waiving Fields. The only thing it changes is how his salary affects our cap/luxury tax numbers.

Personally, I don't see much point in waiving him this summer. It wouldn't get us under the cap anyway, assuming the Bargnani/Novak/Camby trade goes through we're under the tax line, and he might come back this year having found his jump shot again. Then he can be waived next summer if he still sucks. And if we use it this year we'd have him on the books for $2.5 mil per year until 2018; using it next year he'd only count $2.1 mil, and would expire in 2017.

Comment

I've never even heard of this. What the hell?

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
        I've never even heard of this. What the hell?
        same here. confused

Comment

It's new in the new CBA. Previously, teams could buy out contracts and restructure them however they wanted (as long as the player agreed), and the cap hit would be on the restructured deal. That led to some cap-wrangling deals, and the owners felt it was kinda unfair--but many of them still wanted the ability to do some amount of restructuring. So they just made it so that all restructured contracts had to follow the same template, so that no one team could gain an advantage by having deep pockets.

Comment

From Larry Coon's website explaining the new CBA http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed for contracts signed or extended under the current CBA2. For these contracts or extensions the remaining guaranteed salary for a waived player is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year.
            If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year.
            I can't beleive i never heard of that before. I forgot the name of that cap guy masai hired, but i want to make out with him right now.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
              Just to make it clear: this would involve waiving Fields. The only thing it changes is how his salary affects our cap/luxury tax numbers.

Personally, I don't see much point in waiving him this summer. It wouldn't get us under the cap anyway, assuming the Bargnani/Novak/Camby trade goes through we're under the tax line, and he might come back this year having found his jump shot again. Then he can be waived next summer if he still sucks. And if we use it this year we'd have him on the books for $2.5 mil per year until 2018; using it next year he'd only count $2.1 mil, and would expire in 2017.
              I see what you're saying, but that leads me to beleive that Masai and Casey are banking on Ross big time for next season. with Novak as the 4th wing or vice versa.

Comment

Wait, does the stretch provision half salary or cap value? Fields' contract counts for 6.25 million (per hoopsworld) as a caphit per year, but his salary was backloaded to be worth 8.5 million in his last year (if hoopshype is right). I'm pretty sure if it's the latter, it makes more sense to do it now than to wait a season.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                  From Larry Coon's website explaining the new CBA http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63

I can't beleive i never heard of that before. I forgot the name of that cap guy masai hired, but i want to make out with him right now.
                  The snippet here makes me believe it would be based on Fields' owed salary numbers over hte next two years, 5.225 and 8.5, and not the caphit number of 6.25 per.

Comment

It's speculation.. nothing official. I know about the stretch provision, but I don't think it makes sense to use it on Fields, not until we see what he can give us this year. He will no longer be on the team once waived, so it's losing an asset for nothing. And he only has 2 years left.

Comment

If i understood correctly:

2013-2014 : 5.225 Mil
                      2014-2015 : 8.500 Mil

If we use it this year its: 2.725 mil over 5 years
                      If we use it next year its : 2.833 over 3 years

Considering he's young and has more upside than he has shown (hopefully) if a team was to claim him and take the contract off our hands i dont think it makes a difference now or later,its a reasonable contract for a long period of time.

and if we do it now MLSE saves 5 million, unless he doesnt get claimed.

Comment

Does this mean we would get to keep Fields without having to put up with his horrible contract? Because Landry would be a great guy to have for 2.5mil.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Someone please confirm!!!

Is Landry now going to be had for 2.5mil per?!
                          Thats freaking fantastic! That makes BCs' poison pill contract look brilliant in hindsight (load up the contract so Knicks cant resign, then stretch the contract to make salary cap room!)
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            It's speculation.. nothing official. I know about the stretch provision, but I don't think it makes sense to use it on Fields, not until we see what he can give us this year. He will no longer be on the team once waived, so it's losing an asset for nothing. And he only has 2 years left.
                            I partially agree with this, but if it's a move that Ujiri is doing specifically to open up cap space for another signing or move, then it makes sense. In a vacuum though, yeah I don't like giving up young assets for nothing.

Comment

At the very least I would check and see how his workouts are coming along. And depending on the big picture we should treat Fields as an asset until we are sure his ailments are unrecoverable in the short term. If MU can turn chicken feathers (Bargs) into Primo salad well then let him have a go with Fields too.

Comment

Working...
                              X