With Amare To Resign in Phoenix, Bosh's Value Just Increased Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Amare To Resign in Phoenix, Bosh's Value Just Increased Again

The "Chris Bosh Sweepstakes" just got more competitive with the likelihood of Amare resigning in Phoenix making Bosh and Boozer to the two coveted PF's out there this summer.

A report that Amar'e Stoudemire is working on a contract extension with the Phoenix Suns is more bad news for the free agency-or bust Knicks.

Stoudemire told Fanhouse.com he is working on a new deal and you have to think that should the Suns advance to the second round - a virtually certainty - that Stoudemire will return.

The problem with pursing big-time free agents is that the home town team almost always has the advantage. Manu Ginobili already re-signed with San Antonio and Marcus Camby re-upped in Portland.

If Stoudemire does return to Phoenix, there is a good chance that either Chris Bosh or Carlos Boozer will end up in Miami. It also means the chances of David Lee returning to the Knicks increases, although the sense is that Donnie Walsh doesn't want to spend more than $10 million per season on Lee.

Again, look on the bright side. LeBron still hasn't re-signed with Cleveland. Not yet.
    Source - Click here

This makes me wonder - what if New York gets nobody? That is, say, perhaps Bosh resigns with TO or goes to Miami or Chicago. To me all three seem more likely than him going to New York. Only two FA's to me would be likely to draw Bosh to NY = Lebron and Joe Johnson. Lebron may resign with Cleveland. Johnson ought to just as easily view TO as a reasonable destination with Bosh on the team as NY (see earlier trade proposals - its not impossible to get Johnson I believe).

Say Johnson does go to NY and Bosh goes with him. NY would have to do a S&T with TO, sending back what's left of the quality players on NY's roster. So it'd be Bosh, Johnson, then who? Chris Duhon? Boozer, if not Bosh, will keep Wade in Miami, so i don't think Wade is a realistic option for NY. So, then, it seems Lebron and Bosh (and if the Knicks get Lebron i think it's bye-bye Bosh as he heads there as well) is the only scenario for success for the Knicks - and it then is wholly contingent upon James.

If New York gets no marquee free agent how would the league react? Would they react? Would they allow the Knicks to so totally and utterly fail in such a fashion? Now that there's a high possibility Amare returns to the Suns, does this increase the "everyone to NY" spin that seems to be constantly churned out by the Media and likely encouraged by the league?

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
      If New York gets no marquee free agent how would the league react? Would they react? Would they allow the Knicks to so totally and utterly fail in such a fashion? Now that there's a high possibility Amare returns to the Suns, does this increase the "everyone to NY" spin that seems to be constantly churned out by the Media and likely encouraged by the league?
      I am often bemused by the "sky is falling" thinking attributed to Stern and the league because the Knicks are a crappy team. They have been one for about a decade now and the league has not been brought to its knees...thank you very much. The bozos that pay $2000 per seat (stand up Spike Lee) shall continue to do it and the hype machine that churns out the "mecca of basketball" accolade shall as well continue. The NBA no longers depends on the centrality or amount of NY media outlets to sell the game. The internet does that very well and last I heard the internet does not originate in NY nor does ESPN or SI etc. So, I continue to be confused as to why the League should get particularly despondent because the Knicks dont have a championship team any more than the only team outside the US (Raptors) should continue churning its wheels and not be a good example for the league's prospects for foreign expansion.

In anycase, the more demand for Bosh the better the prospective return in a s & t.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
        This makes me wonder - what if New York gets nobody? That is, say, perhaps Bosh resigns with TO or goes to Miami or Chicago. To me all three seem more likely than him going to New York. Only two FA's to me would be likely to draw Bosh to NY = Lebron and Joe Johnson. Lebron may resign with Cleveland. Johnson ought to just as easily view TO as a reasonable destination with Bosh on the team as NY (see earlier trade proposals - its not impossible to get Johnson I believe).
        If Johnson going to be in Toronto ... I would make BC god.......

Comment

New YOrk doesn't have to do a sign and trade to get Bosh. They can sign outright two max free agents. Obviously if the free agents want to get more money, there needs to be a sign and trade, but New York could send back virtually nothing (or literally nothing) to do one. That said, New York is in a very precarious position. They don't have a whole lot of talent, and chances are they will either get two big free agents, or none.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

If CB4 value increased, that's good. He expects nothing but max contract to stay in TO, so it doesn't matter if his value increased or not. If he chooses to go somewhere else with S&T, is good for what Raptors can get in return. If he just walk away, it doesn't matter, Raptors would lose no matter what CB4 value is.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
              If CB4 value increased, that's good. He expects nothing but max contract to stay in TO, so it doesn't matter if his value increased or not. If he chooses to go somewhere else with S&T, is good for what Raptors can get in return. If he just walk away, it doesn't matter, Raptors would lose no matter what CB4 value is.
              Actually, that's worsens the chance Bosh will return to Toronto. Worst case scenario for Bosh: LeBron re-signs with Cleveland, Joe Johnson goes to Chicago and Wade returns to Miami. That leaves Miami, New York, New Jersey and Oklahoma City as teams with cap space. Without another big name free agent, New York isn't an attractive option. New Jersey won 12 games last year and still have two more years left in New Jersey, where no one cares about them. Oklahoma City still has to pay their core players, and may not want to pay any big contracts, at this point. That leaves Miami.

If Amare is still a free agent, Miami can sign Amare, probably for less than they can get Bosh for.

That leaves Bosh with either signing with a bad team, or finding a team that have the pieces for a sign and trade, that Toronto would have to agree to. Or return to the Raptors.

With Amare as a free agent, it's more of a buyers market. Without him on the market, it's more of a sellers market.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
                Actually, that's worsens the chance Bosh will return to Toronto.
                This is a different point of view. I didn't say anything about the chance regarding CB4 to sign with Raptors which I believe is mostly based on how much is BC willing to do to keep CB4 (30%) and how much CB4 is willing to stay in a city which he likes it and where he is "the man" (70%).
                My point was that the CB4 value increase gives Raptors better return when dealing with a S&T situation. As much as I like CB4 to stay, he may already made up his mind and looking already for better opportunities. The fact that there are less big FA on market, would be easier for CB4 and BC to demand S&T ( Bosh maximizes his payout and BC gets something in return for CB4 departure).
                Also, there are still many other factors that may impact the FA market. We just have to wait and see what BC will do this summer

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                  This is a different point of view. I didn't say anything about the chance regarding CB4 to sign with Raptors which I believe is mostly based on how much is BC willing to do to keep CB4 (30%) and how much CB4 is willing to stay in a city which he likes it and where he is "the man" (70%).
                  My point was that the CB4 value increase gives Raptors better return when dealing with a S&T situation. As much as I like CB4 to stay, he may already made up his mind and looking already for better opportunities. The fact that there are less big FA on market, would be easier for CB4 and BC to demand S&T ( Bosh maximizes his payout and BC gets something in return for CB4 departure).
                  Also, there are still many other factors that may impact the FA market. We just have to wait and see what BC will do this summer
                  Maybe, but if the worst case scenario goes down with Bosh (detailed in my last comment), then it means that Bosh will have to end up going to a team without cap room, which means Toronto is more likely to get something back. WIthout Amare out there, he can go to more places with enough cap room that a sign and trade won't need to be done. With Amare, there's more a chance he'll either have to go to a really bad team (not likely) or a team without cap room.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Real GM is reporting that contract negotiations won't happen until after the playoffs. He still may hit the market.

Comment

Working...
                    X