The Case for Kendall Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case for Kendall Marshall

Now that we are locked into the #8 pick I am positive that Kendall Marshall is the absolute best pick for the Raptors. Here's why:

This past season the Raptors improved on defense and dropped on offense. While pace has something to do with the overall numbers, from the adjusted stats it is still clear that Casey lacks some offensive vision.

Marshall is not a scorer. But what Marshall loses in scoring he will more than make up for by making his teammates better offensively. Also, his shot is not broken, he probably just needs more reps.

Beyond that, passing the ball is infectious and makes for better team chemistry. Marshall is intelligent, has a high basketball IQ and has already proven himself to be a leader. Better team chemistry and more guys with a high IQ are going to help change the team culture. Plus, Casey's defensive schemes require some intelligence. Thus Marshall is better suited to team-oriented defensive strategies.

Marshall was arguably the best passer in the NCAA last year. In the NBA you need guys with elite skills at their position. For instance, in nearly every draft someone drafts the top rebounder in the NCAA somewhere later in the draft and instantly gets a boost in that department. Just look at The Manimal, Milsap ect. It's all about elite skills.

If scoring is still a concern despite improvement from other players, at least scoring is the easiest skill to buy in the NBA.

Marshall is efficient. While he doesn't shoot the ball often, he does shoot it well when he does. He shot close to 47% from the field, 36% from three and 70% from the line. Decent if not spectacular stats. He also posted an assists to turnover ratio of 3.5 that would put him in the top 5 pgs in the NBA. Okay, those are NCAA numbers, but they are a harbinger.

Also, he has shown steady improvement in both his NCAA seasons. http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...&chart3=fg_pct

Valanciunas, Davis and Amir all need someone to create shots for them in the PnR. Just have a look at this video and pretend Henson is Davis and Zeller is Val.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwSnZmXckcM

Marshall also fits into a potential narrative of the 2013 season. The Raps can go into the season with Jose, Bay and KM. Jose will be a great trade chip before the deadline. That gives the team enough time to get Marshall integrated before taking over full time PG duties.

Yes... these are the positives. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on negatives. As well as comments on the overall themes in this evaluation. eg, Culture change, elite skills, win-now vs win later ect...

For a relatively unbiased look at Marshall's passing check out this video. It has turnovers and bad passes as well.

I think Marshall should definitely be in the mix at #8. He would do well mentoring behind Calderon (or Nash). However, I am seriously doubting that BC would actually draft him, based on what I have read recently. I think BC wants a scorer (ie: Beal, Barnes, Lamb, Waiters, Lillard) or will trade the pick. It doesn't seem that BC want a safe, non-impact, backup type player with the #8 pick. Who knows... prior to the recent comments, I would have thought that Marshall was definitely among a short-list of players being considered.

Comment

I think #8 is too high for Marshall given the other prospects that should be available (or could be available if someone slips).

However, Alex Kennedy at HoopsWorld.com reports that a lot of non-lottery teams might be looking to move their pick. If he was available in the 16-20 range, that would be interesting.

As for his game, I definitely like him. One thing I notice he does very well (and it is something I wished Jose would have done more of over the years) is he pushes the ball with the pass.

A concern would be (although I'm sure it is not) his recovery from injury. Everyone knew about the wrist but he also fractured his elbow.

I think another player to consider is Scott Machado who might be in play at 37.

A comparison of the two starting with physical (all stats from DraftExpress.com):

Machado (22 in 5 days): 6' 0.5" barefoot/6' 1.75" in shoes, 205 pounds, 6' 3" wingspan
      Marshall (21 in September): 6' 4" in shoes, 197 pounbds, 6' 4" wingspan

Statistically per40 minutes pace adjusted:

Machado:
      14.1 points
      49.5% fg
      40.4% 3pt
      81.1% ft
      5.1 rebounds
      10.2 assists
      1.7 steals
      0.2 blocks
      3.4 turnovers

Marshall:
      9.0 points
      46.7% fg
      35.4% 3pt
      69.6% ft
      2.9 rebounds
      10.7 assists
      1.3 steals
      0.2 blocks
      3.1 turnovers

It is tough to get an apples-to-apples comparison given Marshall played against tougher competition in the ACC but also had much more talent around him. It was certainly impressive what effect Marshall had on Barnes. Barnes struggled last year before Marshall was made starter and exploded after. Barnes then struggled mightily again this year when Marshall went out.

Defensively, both players appear to have serious concerns on the defensive end at the NBA level. From DraftExpress.com:

Marshall:

The defensive end, however, is perhaps the most concerning aspect of Marshall's game projecting to the next level, as his lack of quickness on this end of the floor is concerning in the dribble-drive centric NBA, and already is a problem against high level competition in college. While Marshall brings a good effort and fundamental level to the table at the college level, he is prone to being blown by more athletic competition due to his below average lateral quickness, and often has to give up notable space on the perimeter to compensate. His excellent size allows him to offset his other limitations somewhat, notably in the pick-and-roll game at times, but overall his ability to defend point guards consistently is a question mark projecting to the NBA, and he will really need to put in work to maximize his effectiveness on this end of the floor.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1wktMHNba
      http://www.draftexpress.com
      Machado:

Defensively is where scouts will likely have their biggest questions marks with Machado. Iona mixes up its defenses quite a bit, with some pressing and some zone, so Machado hasn't had to play as much half-court man-to-man. In what we could see, however, he looks like he has some work to do to defend point guards at the NBA level. His lateral quickness looks mediocre, he's a bit on the smaller side, and he's been beaten off the dribble badly on a few occasions and also has done a poor job fighting through screens. Some of this could be correctable and some could be a result of the system he's in, but this will likely be an area that NBA teams will want to get a better gauge of as they assess his potential at the next level.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1wktwfn7z
      http://www.draftexpress.com

Personally, I think Machado at 37 would be much more value in the pick and he might be a better pro (that is just my opinion).
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jun 3, 2012, 02:35 PM. Reason: finished last sentece.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I think Marshall should definitely be in the mix at #8. He would do well mentoring behind Calderon (or Nash). However, I am seriously doubting that BC would actually draft him, based on what I have read recently.
        I wouldn't rely too much on what Colangelo has said... or what other people are saying Colangelo may or may not have said. No GM wants to tip their hand.

@Matt52. Interesting comparison with Machado. He would def. be a value pick in the 2nd round.

Also of note. Jon Givony of DraftExpress think Marshall would be the BPA at #8 if things go chalk up to that point.
        http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...ss/#more-11114

Comment

Machado is basically a shorter version of Jose Calderon -a floor general who has good court vision, doesn't turn over the ball a lot, shoots a good percentage at the charity stripe, shoots a high percentage field goal wise, but yet, has shortcomings when it comes to the defensive end and in regards to foot speed. If he's still around at the #37 selection, the Raptors should run their selection in. As much as I like Marshall, selecting him at #8 seems a bit high especially since there are better prospects out there.

Comment

Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
            Now that we are locked into the #8 pick I am positive that Kendall Marshall is the absolute best pick for the Raptors. Here's why:

This past season the Raptors improved on defense and dropped on offense. While pace has something to do with the overall numbers, from the adjusted stats it is still clear that Casey lacks some offensive vision.

Marshall is not a scorer. But what Marshall loses in scoring he will more than make up for by making his teammates better offensively. Also, his shot is not broken, he probably just needs more reps.

Beyond that, passing the ball is infectious and makes for better team chemistry. Marshall is intelligent, has a high basketball IQ and has already proven himself to be a leader. Better team chemistry and more guys with a high IQ are going to help change the team culture. Plus, Casey's defensive schemes require some intelligence. Thus Marshall is better suited to team-oriented defensive strategies.

Marshall was arguably the best passer in the NCAA last year. In the NBA you need guys with elite skills at their position. For instance, in nearly every draft someone drafts the top rebounder in the NCAA somewhere later in the draft and instantly gets a boost in that department. Just look at The Manimal, Milsap ect. It's all about elite skills.

If scoring is still a concern despite improvement from other players, at least scoring is the easiest skill to buy in the NBA.

Marshall is efficient. While he doesn't shoot the ball often, he does shoot it well when he does. He shot close to 47% from the field, 36% from three and 70% from the line. Decent if not spectacular stats. He also posted an assists to turnover ratio of 3.5 that would put him in the top 5 pgs in the NBA. Okay, those are NCAA numbers, but they are a harbinger.

Also, he has shown steady improvement in both his NCAA seasons. http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...&chart3=fg_pct

Valanciunas, Davis and Amir all need someone to create shots for them in the PnR. Just have a look at this video and pretend Henson is Davis and Zeller is Val.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwSnZmXckcM

Marshall also fits into a potential narrative of the 2013 season. The Raps can go into the season with Jose, Bay and KM. Jose will be a great trade chip before the deadline. That gives the team enough time to get Marshall integrated before taking over full time PG duties.

Yes... these are the positives. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on negatives. As well as comments on the overall themes in this evaluation. eg, Culture change, elite skills, win-now vs win later ect...

For a relatively unbiased look at Marshall's passing check out this video. It has turnovers and bad passes as well.
            Hey, I like Marshall for many of the reasons you have listed, but realistically how many reps do you think it is going to take for him become a good shooter? How many do you think he has put since he was a kid and started playing competitive ball? If he hasn't developed a shot by now he either has no feel or something is broken. Look at Durant, his shot is a glorified version of Ed Davis and yet he makes everything. He just may never be a shooter.

Comment

If no one slips (MKG, Barnes, Beal, Drummond and Robinson) I'm all for it I like him more than Lamb or even PJ3. If Marshal would have been healthy, UNC likely to be played in the NCAA finals against UK. He's a great leader and his shot isn't so bad, he just shoots rarely I'm not considering him as a role-player type player, he has everything he needs to be a starter in the NBA
              Last edited by japetas; Sun Jun 3, 2012, 05:38 PM.
              (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

Kendall Marshall has the athleticism of a glazed ham
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Personally, I think Machado at 37 would be much more value in the pick and he might be a better pro (that is just my opinion).[/QUOTE]

I hold the same opinion except more adamant about it! Machado might have the requisite threshold speed to play the position. People have to remember that Calderon is a very fast player - just not in the NBA. I would go as far as you in saying, Machado might be the better prospect 30 spots later!

Comment

id take machado over marshall any day of the week
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Marshall is still rehabbing an injured wrist that required a screw to be surgically implanted to stabilize a crack in his non-shooting wrist; however an elbow injury surfaced several weeks later that has slowed the recovery process.

“My wrist is close to 100%,” revealed Marshall. “I can pretty much do anything on the court with it. Again, the elbow is something that I didn’t find out about until a month later after complaining that it was hurting and finally getting an MRI. But that’s coming along as well. It is way better than it was two weeks ago, which was way better than it was a month ago. As long as I keep making progress I feel like I’m going at a good pace. “

Marshall is expected to attend this week’s NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, but is still not sure if he will compete in any of the drills. Marshall does plan to meet face to face with NBA teams and tell his story.

“I think that’s huge, first impressions,” explained Marshall. “They’ve seen you play obviously, they hear what kind of person you are but to actually meet with you face to face, that can be the difference between them taking you or not. I’m comfortable. I feel like I have a good reputation. I present myself well and I’m excited about it. “

In watching Marshall play five-on-five pickup games with other draft prospects and NBA players, it’s clear why Marshall is so highly coveted. He is a natural floor leader that never gets outside of his own game. He never forces the bad pass. Never tries to take shots he cannot make and is always in control.

“I feel like at the next level the main thing that you have to do is just find your niche,” said Marshall. “You have to find one thing that sets you apart from everyone else. “

“80% of the NBA averaged at least 15 points in college. They have enough scorers in the NBA so you have to find whatever you’re good at and become extraordinary in that area. In my case I’ve found early what I have to do, what I’m good at and it’s just a matter of taking that to the next level and being as good at that as possible. “

The one thing that Marshall exudes is a confidence in who and what he is as a player. It’s all too common in the draft process for players to let their ego run away from them. Marshall comes off surprisingly comfortable with who and what he is as a player at the next level.

“One thing I try to focus on is staying in my lane,” explained Marshall. “I’m not going to go into this fast lane and try to score 30. I don’t want to take a backseat to guys and not be the leader I know I can be. The main thing is just being in my lane, being at a steady pace and doing what I’m good at. “

“I still want to develop my game in the process. I still want to become a more consistent shooter, become more flexible, but a player like me, my game’s not going to change. I’m not going to show them anything new in these workouts, so if anything I’ll show them that I can shoot the ball a little bit better than what I showed throughout the season. Other than that I feel like I am who I am.”

Marshall is getting in three workouts per day at IMG and is just trying to let the draft process play out. One thing he has tried to do is keep the hype of being drafted out of his head, but that’s not always easy.

“You can’t help it.,” laughed Marshall. “It’s something that is constantly on your mind. It’s a crazy thought to think about. I don’t know where in the country I’m going to be living a month and a half from now. But to me that’s insane. The draft has taken so long to get here that all you can do is work hard every day and just keep staring at the calendar. Time is ticking extremely slowly but it’s part of the process so I’m just trying to enjoy it as much as possible. “

“It’s very surreal. I never really thought I had any type of opportunity to play in the NBA until the end of my freshman year of college when people were asking me if I’m coming back. I was like ‘what do you mean coming back? Where else would I go?’ It just never dawned on me that I was ready for that next level. My freshman year in college I’m having bets with walk-ons to see who scores more points in a game. To be at this point in my life to where I have a chance to live out my dream, playing the game that I love. I can’t even look at it as a job… it’s surreal. “

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-ken...-the-playmaker

Comment

Marshall may no doubt be a future 10+ year nba-vet, but he's not going to be an impact franchise type player. This draft gets weak for those type of players around picks 4 or 5. I still say we trade up or trade out.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          I'm Christian Lumbeto and I support this message
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

this is what (who) Marshall can be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv9ZE-KY4Iw
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              Funny how it seems that none of the other talent evaluators from NBA teams share your insights. Bunch of clowns.

Comment

Working...
                              X