Raptors-Lakers-Timberwolves-Jazz Blockbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors-Lakers-Timberwolves-Jazz Blockbuster

ESPN Trade Machine Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bg5nc8x

Raptors In: Millsap, Ridnour
    Raptors Out: Bargnani, Anderson, 1-3 2nd round picks (as necessary)

Lakers In: Bargnani, Pekovic, Bell, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick (if necessary)
    Lakers Out: Gasol

Timberwolves In: Gasol, Anderson
    Timberwolves Out: Williams, Pekovic, Ridnour, Cunningham, 1st round pick

Jazz In: Williams, Cunningham, 1/2 2nd round pick(s) (if neccessary)
    Jazz Out: Millsap, Bell

LAKERS
    - replace Gasol with a stretch-4 (Bargnani) who will make $8.3M less next season
    - Pekovic provides insurance for Howard (if injured, or especially if he leaves as free agent), would be a great trade chip in the offseason (as a S&T), or could be let walk to cut $4.8M off payroll
    - Bell is an expiring contract that would give them veteran SG depth behind Bryant (or could simply be waived)
    - 1st round pick is valuable as pick or trade bait
    - possibly add a 2nd round pick from Toronto (if necessary)

TIMBERWOLVES
    - get their guy in Gasol, to create huge frontcourt with Love and chemistry with Rubio
    - Anderson gives them added SG depth

JAZZ
    - Derek Williams gives them added depth at SF position, could even start ahead of Marvin Williams
    - Cunningham provides veteran PF depth behind Favors (Derek Williams could also play PF in small lineups)
    - dump Bell's expiring contract without having to take on any bad contract in return
    - add 1 or 2 2nd round picks from Toronto
    - save a little over $5M off their payroll
    - get 2 quality players (1 who has potential to blossom into a star) and 1/2 2nd round picks for Millsap, who they seem destined to lose one way or another
    - they could also have Kleiza if they want him, but I assumed they'd prefer the $5M+ cost savings instead

RAPTORS
    - Millsap becomes starting PF, pushing Johnson into backup PF (and occassionally at C with Millsap) / 3rd big role
    - Ridnour is a veteran pass-first backup PG, who could stabalize the team's young 2nd unit
    - removing Anderson clears wing logjam (Gay, DeRozan, Fields & Ross)
    - added depth makes it easier to waive Haddadi (non-guaranteed contract next season), amnesty Kleiza in the offseason, waive Lucas (team option for next season) and let Pietrus walk as a free agent after the season
    - of course the Raptors must entice Millsap to re-sign beyond this season, but I think the combination of money, starting and being part of this young lineup could potentially be sufficient reason for him to stick around!

RAPTORS 2013-2014 LINEUP (current age in brackets)
    C: Valanciunas (20), Gray (27)
    PF: Millsap (27), Johnson (25), Acy (22)
    SF: Gay (26), Fields (24)
    SG: DeRozan (23), Ross (21)
    PG: Lowry (26), Ridnour (31)

I would hope that the Raptors look to add cheap veteran C & PG in the offseason, to provide depth and leadership. Just the added veteran presence would be critical to this young group of players, even if they barely/don't wind up playing.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Feb 4, 2013, 01:23 PM.

Don't think this gives the Lakers what they want.
    -Pekovic is slower and less athletic than Gasol.
    -Bargnani is still a player no one is sure teh Lakers actually want, despite the fact that everyone agrees it's actually likely one of the only good fits roster and system-wise for him. If he's the reason they do this deal, I think they'll want better pieces that fit back with him.
    -Bell is old....real old, and hasn't played all year. There is really no way he's a key part of a deal. Again, if Bargs is the centrepiece and either one of Peko or Bell is included too, I would think any other piece would be significant.
    -Draft picks not good enough reason for a trade for a team that is always trying to contend.

Frankly, I'm having a really hard time figuring out what the hell LAL wants back in any deal for Gasol, in terms of players. I'm certainly not fooled by any smoke they're blowing about trying to make this team work. The damage they could do to their team if they don't trade him, keep losing, miss the playoffs, then possibly aren't able to re-sign Howard, still won't have cap-space in the summer, and will in the end still only have Gasol to trade to improve their roster, but if Howard leaves, with more holes to fill. Keeping him til the end of the season is a very risky move. You'd think they'd be somewhat high on Bargnani, making half the money, with skills that fit better as a PF in their system, and he's younger too...but they've done a good job keeping quiet about any interest they might have in guys. Again, have no clue what they're looking for specifically, but highly doubt they'd take back 2 possibly slow, useless to D'Antoni players in Pekovic and Bell.

*For the other teams it's not so bad....Don't know if Millsap would stay, but it'd be a good rental to give it a shot. Big Ridnour fan as a backup PG. For Minny, they get Gasol who they want so badly, and Anderson would give them much needed wing depth with Roy once again likely retiring. For Utah, they get a young slashing forward who can possibly become their go to SF or stretch 4 for scoring.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Feb 4, 2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Don't think this gives the Lakers what they want.
      -Pekovic is slower and less athletic than Gasol.
      -Bargnani is still a player no one is sure teh Lakers actually want, despite the fact that everyone agrees it's actually likely one of the only good fits roster and system-wise for him. If he's the reason they do this deal, I think they'll want better pieces that fit back with him.
      -Bell is old....real old, and hasn't played all year. There is really no way he's a key part of a deal. Again, if Bargs is the centrepiece and either one of Peko or Bell is included too, I would think any other piece would be significant.
      -Draft picks not good enough reason for a trade for a team that is always trying to contend.

Frankly, I'm having a really hard time figuring out what the hell LAL wants back in any deal for Gasol, in terms of players. I'm certainly not fooled by any smoke they're blowing about trying to make this team work. The damage they could do to their team if they don't trade him, keep losing, miss the playoffs, then possibly aren't able to re-sign Howard, still won't have cap-space in the summer, and will in the end still only have Gasol to trade to improve their roster, but if Howard leaves, with more holes to fill. Keeping him til the end of the season is a very risky move. You'd think they'd be somewhat high on Bargnani, making half the money, with skills that fit better as a PF in their system, and he's younger too...but they've done a good job keeping quiet about any interest they might have in guys. Again, have no clue what they're looking for specifically, but highly doubt they'd take back 2 possibly slow, useless to D'Antoni players in Pekovic and Bell.

*For the other teams it's not so bad....Don't know if Millsap would stay, but it'd be a good rental to give it a shot. Big Ridnour fan as a backup PG. For Minny, they get Gasol who they want so badly, and Anderson would give them much needed wing depth with Roy once again likely retiring. For Utah, they get a young slashing forward who can possibly become their go to SF or stretch 4 for scoring.
      You're right about the Lakers - we really have no idea. The Bargnani piece is just based on all the rumors that were floating around before his injury. They didn't seem too high on Williams (again, based purely on rumors), but I thought they might have some interest on Pekovic. He'd be a good young C if Howard walks. If Howard stays, they would have Pekovic and a 1st round pick (and possibly 2nd round pick as well) to use as trade bait to further improve their team. Bell was a throw-in to improve the trade from Utah's perspective, while being a meaningless expiring contract from the Lakers' perspective (whether they keep him or waive him - he does have the D'Antoni/Nash connection as well, if that amounts to anything).

I thought it seemed pretty fair to Toronto, Minnesota and Utah (although we have no idea what other offers they've received for Millsap). I thought it was a good deal for Utah, since Millsap is expiring (could be a different story if they keep him and then S&T him in the offseason).

Comment

There seems to be a possibility that Howard shuts it down for the season. If that happens I don't see the Lakers trading for Bargnani and I don't know if they are in a hurry to make a deal in february; they might wait untill the next season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          You're right about the Lakers - we really have no idea. The Bargnani piece is just based on all the rumors that were floating around before his injury. They didn't seem too high on Williams (again, based purely on rumors), but I thought they might have some interest on Pekovic. He'd be a good young C if Howard walks. If Howard stays, they would have Pekovic and a 1st round pick (and possibly 2nd round pick as well) to use as trade bait to further improve their team. Bell was a throw-in to improve the trade from Utah's perspective, while being a meaningless expiring contract from the Lakers' perspective (whether they keep him or waive him - he does have the D'Antoni/Nash connection as well, if that amounts to anything).

I thought it seemed pretty fair to Toronto, Minnesota and Utah (although we have no idea what other offers they've received for Millsap). I thought it was a good deal for Utah, since Millsap is expiring (could be a different story if they keep him and then S&T him in the offseason).
          I can certainly see the argument for Pekovic, but I basically think any "throw-in" if they take on Peko and Bargs has to be a young athletic player, but hopefully one who's not so green that he can't help now. They don't really have speed on the perimeter...when your quickest player is your oldest player, there's an issue. I don't care if it's Kobe Bryant. Bargs is certainly a good enough athlete at the 4, but yeah, I really think they'd want another player, a wing or a slashing athletic forward.

Comment

I like this one - make it so!

Comment

Working...
            X