Jack Armstrong Is Getting Concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Armstrong Is Getting Concerned

Well if "The Coach" is getting concerned with the current state of the Raptors, then I think we all should.

Here are FOUR areas that the Raptors have to straighten out in order to make the playoffs as a fifth seed and be able to pull off a first round upset - which they're more than capable of doing if healthy and improved.

1. TALENT: This team has talent and it has depth. Can't go into games though thinking that on 'paper' you're better and it will take care of itself. Doesn't work that way. Look at the Sixers home loss as an example. Consistent level of performance has been an issue of late when you look at Hedu Turkoglu, DeMar DeRozan, Antoine Wright, Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani to name a few.

It's winning time now and after all this time guys should be finding their groove and be consistent. Has to start to happen - Now.

2. PLAYING ROTATION: Jay Triano and his staff need to make the hard/tough decisions on this. As you get further into March you need to tighten the rotation and only play people that you absolutely trust that they'll be there for you each game and build better cohesion/chemistry in the role definition and consistency of the team. Problem is that they have good depth at their disposal, yet for a team to flourish you've got to tighten up the rotation not loosen it.

At this stage of the season each guy you use should be able to play all out major minutes and fatigue should be a marginal issue after all this time. Guys should be in peak condition at this stage. Time to ride your main horses. Decisions like this are never easy. It's not the job of the coaching staff to make the players happy, it's the job of the players to make the coaches happy. Each player has had more than enough of a chance to sink/swim. Winning time now. Get it done.

3. TURNOVERS/SHOT SELECTION: The offensive execution of late has gotten sloppy and needs to improve. Can't win on the road coughing up the ball and taking ill-advised shots. This team has good-very good offensive talent. They can score on anyone when they're going good. These two areas are really hurting this team right now.

Get back to playing as a team sharing the ball, getting good high percentage shots and respecting the value of possessing the ball. There are too many guys looking to make plays for themselves. We've seen them do it. Time to do it again.

4. DEFENSIVE EFFORT: Are you willing to sprint back, slow the ball down, contain the dribble, bang cuts, pressure passes, contest shots, communicate, win loose ball battles, take charges, get nasty, box out and rebound and create turnovers?

Are you willing to pay the price again? We've seen this team do this enough this year to know that they CAN do it. Now they've got to WANT to do it and it has to become a daily HABIT. It's not a glamorous job but it wins games and at the very least keeps you in them until your offense bounces back. Find a way to dig down and compete harder. Slippage has occurred in this area.
    Would you say Jack is pretty accurate with his areas of concern?

Source - Click here

Jack is 100% ... Raptors is playing a dangerous game. There is not so much left of this regular season games, they have to start NOW if they want to get into playoffs on high tunes. At this moment, they are just too sloppy, they need mental toughness and willingness to go for the extra-mile few games before the playoffs.

Comment

A1.

After tightening the rotation, the depth should be used as the hammer to yank those who do not follow/miss assignments.

Comment

I'm not sure why the discussion about tightening the rotation. It's not as if the Raptors struggle when the bench players come in. In fact, there are more than a few times the bench seems to outplay the starters, at least not including Bosh. You think Amir should play fewer minutes? Not if he's playing well. I'd want him to play more minutes. Calderon is often what brings a struggling offense back to life. Wright, when not trying to do too much, is the team's best defender. Weems won the game against New York for the Raptors. And according to 82games.com, Evans and Belinelli are the 2nd and 3rd best players on the Raptors in terms of helping the team win, behind Bosh.

The fact is, there are sometimes, I feel better with the bench in than I do with the starters (again, not including Bosh. Maybe instead of tightening the rotation, they should loosen it a little.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

@ Tim W, Re: Tightening the rotation

It's more about finding a rotation of 8-9 to play consistently, not 10-11. Jay has a tendency to trot out too many combinations during a game. The coaching staff needs to address this issue.

The 8-9, you ask?
          Bosh, Bargs, Jack, Hedo, Calderon, DeRozen, Weems, Wright, Amir (or Evans)

Comment

Working...
          X