Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo trying to trade for Josh Howard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo trying to trade for Josh Howard?

There is a disconnect between the Dallas Mavericks and their prodigal son, Josh Howard.

The disconnect is vast enough that while the organization issues what it hopes are comforting denials of substantive trade talks, DallasBasketball.com has learned that the J-Ho camp believes he will be traded before the Feb. 18 deadline – some Josh confidantes even convinced they’ve pinned down Howard’s future team as either being the Raptors or the Heat.

From the Mavs, more denials: “That comes completely out of left field,’’ says one team source.

From an NBA exec: “A lot of teams want Josh Howard. It’s just a matter of what Dallas wants for him.’’

From Josh: Well, he’s allowing his on-court performance to do his talking for him. And therefore: Silence.

And of course, you know what they say: Just because Josh might be paranoid doesn’t mean other teams aren’t out to get him … “get him’’ in trade, that is.

The problem with these specific rumors resounding from those close to Josh isn’t that his name isn’t being discussed. Teams are exploring his availability … and frankly, those talks are occurring just as Dallas’ frustrations with him are accumulating.

No, the problem with what Josh/Josh's people believe is that when we tinker with matches in Toronto and Miami, we come up largely empty.

In Toronto? DallasBasketball.com has been told very specifically that the Mavs (and other teams) believe Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo when he says they have every intention of retaining Chris Bosh through next summer, and then attempting to re-sign the free agent at that time. It’s worth noting that all involved are very, very aware of the sign-and-trade possibilities that exist there … but again, that’s well into the future. So forget Dallas native Bosh.

Short of that, we can play with the name and numbers of point guard Jose Calderon, who could be helpful to Dallas as Jason Kidd continues to get worn to the nub. … But no, there isn’t an ideal Howard trade fit here.
    Dallas Basketball

Josh has been hurting the past couple years but he's still so young that there is good reason to believe he could turn it around.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Feb 3, 2010, 04:37 PM.

Classic Colangelo. Find a player struggling or dealing with recurring injuries and try and pry him away for 60 cents on the dollar. This is a move I wholeheartedly endorse.

Naturally the risk is that the player doesn't play through his injuries and the change of scenery does little to redeem the players past poor performance. See exhibits JO, Matrix and the ever mercurial TJ Ford who seems to get worse with each trade.

I still say the risk is worth the reward. When healthy JoHo is ball hawking, game changing swingman who can provide lockdown d and is notorious for going off in the first quarter.

He seems to of worn out his welcome in Dallas and would give the raps a much needed infusion of end to end athleticism to start and finish the game.

Comment

If they can get him for Jose and potentially some other pieces then that would be great. Not likely at first glance but everyone needs to remember that this club has done well without Howard, is poised to continue to play well and will need to start thinking about a replacement for when Kidd inevitably retires sometime over the next couple years.

Comment

So who do we give up for Howard? Calderon? Sure the risk may be worth the reward, but how much are we risking? I'd think Caron Butler would be a better acquisition than Howard. Let's see what Colangelo cooks up. But if we're going for Howard I have a feeling we're going to be eating Matt Caroll's contract too.

Comment

Any trade involving Howard absolutely must include Marcus Banks and POB!

But I'm very hesitant to accept trading Calderon for Howard. I'd prefer letting DD develop into a Howard clone and keeping Jose to run the 2nd unit.
          RR OG

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
            Classic Colangelo. Find a player struggling or dealing with recurring injuries and try and pry him away for 60 cents on the dollar. This is a move I wholeheartedly endorse. ...
            He seems to of worn out his welcome in Dallas and would give the raps a much needed infusion of end to end athleticism to start and finish the game.
            If the Raps do pick up Howard, 60 cents on the dollar seems about right. Over the past 2 season, he only plays 60% of the time!

But if healthy - WOW!
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
              Any trade involving Howard absolutely must include Marcus Banks and POB!

But I'm very hesitant to accept trading Calderon for Howard. I'd prefer letting DD develop into a Howard clone and keeping Jose to run the 2nd unit.
              I really don't think we would trade Marcus Banks if we are going to be trading Jose away!

Honestly I would rather trade for C.Butler cause he has shown he is a better scorer & a much better passer than Howard...

But Howard, being as he hasn't had a good season going into free agent year, is easier to trade for...

I would also love to see Hedo traded for Kevin Martin! wishfull thinking?
              Waiting for DeRozan to windmill dunk in a game!

Comment

Howards making ten million this year and eleven the next. Dallas is playing well without Howard, maybe they just dump him for expirings and a pick so they can players in the 2010 market.

They wouldn't take Jose, they have Barea as back up and I think Cuban is in love with his him. Beaubois is also an up and comer, they really don't need another point guard.

It'd be funny if we traded back Wright to Dallas.

Comment

Calderon shouldn't be traded....I can't believe people forgot about last year (lack of pg depth)...don't even say "Marcus Banks can be backup"...he is no "second string pg"

On the other hand.... trade Hedo for Howard is not a bad thing...lol it would let Demar be a small forward and Howard in SG or vise versa

Comment

Howard is in a huff because Marion has taken his mins./touches. Now where have we heard that before!
                    Anyone want to endorse the machiavellian theory that BC knew this might happen by sending endorsing the Marion to Dallas transfer? And......
                    Just saying.

Comment

Josh Howard would certainly be an interesting addition. He is a pretty good defender which I like. I really don't even care that much about his offense. If he is still the defender and rebounder he was 3 years ago then I am in favour of this deal. Especially if Toronto can get Jose Juan Barea as well. There won't really be minutes for him in Dallas with Kidd, Calderon, and Terry.
                      Last edited by MattyG-Ray; Wed Feb 3, 2010, 09:09 PM.
                      I Am Shutup

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                        It'd be funny if we traded back Wright to Dallas.
                        We can't unless we wave him which won't happen...
                        Waiting for DeRozan to windmill dunk in a game!

Comment

Howard does intrigue me, but I also question his work ethic because he doesn't have the best reputation as a hard worker or team player. Not sure he'd be good fit for this team.

Caron Butler sat out tonight and all the talk tonight is that its a smokescreen paving the way for a Butler for Jose trade.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                            Howard does intrigue me, but I also question his work ethic because he doesn't have the best reputation as a hard worker or team player. Not sure he'd be good fit for this team.

Caron Butler sat out tonight and all the talk tonight is that its a smokescreen paving the way for a Butler for Jose trade.
                            I hope you're not shitting us. I'd love to keep Jose but if we can get Butler, DO IT! Any sources?

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                              I hope you're not shitting us. I'd love to keep Jose but if we can get Butler, DO IT! Any sources?
                              The members at the RealGM are shitting us. They have a thread going there tonight saying that Butler sitting out and Jose dressed but resting is a smokescreen for a Washington/Toronto swap.

Sorry to get your hopes up.

Comment

Working...
                              X