BC Looking At Using Our 1st Pick to Bring Big-Name Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Looking At Using Our 1st Pick to Bring Big-Name Talent

Is anyone really surprised that Colangelo is dangling yet another one of our draft picks?

Courtesy of Ryan Wolstat from the Toronto Sun.

The Raptors will start working out players in a few weeks.

Will they even have a first rounder though? There are whispers that Bryan Colangelo is intrigued with the idea of using Toronto’s pick in order to bring in a big-name talent.

If it is someone under contract, a move could be made before the draft in a last-ditch effort to convince Chris Bosh to come back. A sign-and-trade would mean the Raptors make the pick and hope the team involved in the sign-and-trade likes the guy they went with and wants him (since free agency happens after the draft).

Of course, the Raptors could make the pick for a team, but that’s risky, since the player they want in the sign-and-trade would have to give his word he will sign with Toronto. That’s very unlikely as all the big free agents want to see their value in the open market before making a decision.

Should be an interesting next few months. Maurizio said Monday what everyone already knew – there will be four or five new faces (at least) on the club next year.
    Source - Click here

This is very possible. A lot depends on how much control the player's agent has over the player. Some agents have a lot of control and a deal can be worked out with the agent and player beforehand without any concern that the player might change his mind. If a player screws an agent after giving his word no agent worth his salt is going to want to work with that player in the future.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Another pick to be wasted away in a trade that is going to keep the status quo of a sub 500 team coming right up.

Comment

Depending on the trade, it could be a very good thing. I don't see any pontential star in the 12th 13th or 14th pick

Comment

This isn't necessarily the wrong move (if it even happens - who knows if BC will even be able to find a willing trading partner. Yesterday I read that projected picks 10 to 35 are all projects without a lot of difference in abilities - so there may be no great interest in the Raptors pick unless we move up in the lottery). Before branding trading the pick as crazy you have to see what talent is coming back. It may be what's required to get superior talent and experience. And it's not like we're forsaking our future - the Raptors were the youngest team in the Eastern Conference this season.

Comment

didnt the same thing happen with the O'Neal trade???

If including that pick in a trade that will land us a tier-two player, i say go. But if we'll get a tier-3 at best, then forget about it. We have a good, young core that we can build around. But if Bosh stays, we need to start winning now. We cant afford to wait specially with Turk, Bosh, Calderon/Jack already getting old.

Comment

whiteside is really intriguing

Comment

thescore53 wrote: View Post
                whiteside is really intriguing
                hell yeah...5 blocks a game average??? man, the raps can really use him. Although, not a knack on college basketball, but the NBA is way tougher....

Comment

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

On the face of it ho valuable can a 13th be in this draft?

Isnt it time we stop getting rid of our 1st rounders unless of course BC has no confidence in his ability to mine a surprise gem in the draft (say a Rondo who was picked 21 I believe) at pos. 13.

Comment

Hassan Whiteside

Some things no one is talking about in here:

“Immature” is the word you hear most often associated with Whiteside both on and off the court, as there will certainly be a large degree of hand-holding and coddling that whichever team drafts him needs to do in order to help him reach his full potential. There are major questions about his work ethic and intensity level, which is a bit concerning considering how far off he currently is from being able to contribute to an NBA team. We also need to keep in mind that despite his freshman status, he’s the same age as many college juniors, turning 21 this upcoming June. This obviously limits his upside to a certain degree.
                    DraftExpress.com

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Isnt it time we stop getting rid of our 1st rounders unless of course BC has no confidence in his ability to mine a surprise gem in the draft (say a Rondo who was picked 21 I believe) at pos. 13.
                      Or say, Steve Nash, at 15, or MIchael FInley, at 21, or even Stephen Jackson, at 42, for instance?
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Well worth looking into.

Not the most promising group of prospects in that draft range.
                        nbaroundtable

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't be heartbroken if Colangelo traded the pick away. Whiteside is intriguing, but he's probably years away, and in the meantime, will get killed in the post since he's way too skinny to do anything down there. If he's available, I might take him. If not, I don't really think anyone down there has much potential to be anything but a role player, and you don't need to go in the draft to find them.

I think fans put WAY to much value into draft picks. Even the best teams strike out as much as they get a hit. And then, chances are the best you'll get out of a pick is a role player who will take a couple of years to learn the NBA. Meanwhile, you can find one just as good, but with more experience, elsewhere. I think fans like the IDEA of a draft pick, because it's an unknown. In their mind, it could turn out to be an All-Star player, when it's much more likely it will simply become a bench player, at best.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bendit;15460]Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Isnt it time we stop getting rid of our 1st rounders unless of course BC has no confidence in his ability to mine a surprise gem in the draft (say a Rondo who was picked 21 I believe) at pos. 13.[/QUOTE}

do we have a second round pick this year?

because they're have been so many good players in recent years in the second round.

guys like: ellis, ginobli, arenas, all these guys were second rounders and are all the stars of their team pretty much.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

straight up F**k off (B.C)
                              i hate how he constantly tardes away young pieces
                              i showhow find it easier (+ its more fun) to watch homegrown talent blossom.
                              I hate when he trades away all our picks

that being said it goign to happen, and we'll be saying in 2 years how it was a crappy and shitty idea

Comment

Working...
                              X