Hndsight. Harrison Barnes vs. Terrance Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hndsight. Harrison Barnes vs. Terrance Ross

I remember discussion threads in the past about Harrison Barnes vs TRoss but couldn't dig anything up.

A lot has been written about how the Raps won just one too many games in 2012, and lost out on picking Harrison Barnes, and had to take TRoss instead.

I was just wondering if anyone still feels Barnes would have been the better pick, given the overall situation in Toronto.

Barnes' numbers are all around a little better then T's (11.1 ppg. vs 9.5), and I believe Barnes may have a bit of a better upside as far as being an overall NBA small forward. ( I see Ross as a shooting guard, like an athletic Ray Allen)

However, as a shooting guard who can attack, drain 3's, dish and who plays athletic lock-down defence, as a role player, I wonder if TRoss brings better value to the Raptors as a team.

Now, I'd absolutely love to add Barnes to our roster, if it didn't involve losing any of our core.

My question for the republic is, looking back, has TRoss done enough to silence the Harrison regretters?

ross is playing well...likely better than Barnes....so really, at the time, he's better

Comment

Its apples and oranges.

Barnes would fill a need at SF. DeMar can't play SF full time. He's just not quite big enough in this current NBA.

Ross is a prototypical SG with freak athleticism. He'd fit on any team as a SG in a vacuum, but on our team our two best perimeter talents play the same position.

I would still have taken Barnes over Ross if it was an option, but have never been upset at all about having Ross. You still need 3 or even 4 good wings to have a solid team in this league. Right now both Ross and DeMar are getting plenty of minutes and space to play their game. We still need a legit SF with size, even if we keep the current starting lineup. We don't have anyone ideal for playing against bigger SFs, even if it's just for 20+ minutes a night. Maybe Fields could do that to some level...if his jumper wasn't FUBAR.

Comment

Barnes is the better overall player still but he gets not minutes in golden state because Iggy is starting. If you gave Harrison 35mpg hr would probably be 18pts 6reb and lock down Defense but also Ross plays look down defense, I think the difference is that Barnes is more consistent then ross
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

All about minutes

Granted Ross was pretty green as a rook but he's getting production because of the minutes. Barnes isn't getting production because he's not getting minutes.

The league really is a "what have you done for me lately?" league but the fact is Barnes is incredibly talented. This will probably ruffle a few feathers here but I'd take Barnes/Ross over Demar/Ross as a swing corp almost any day of the week.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Can't edit my post cause I'm using my iPhone but I meant to say "swing corp moving forward".
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think Ross has a higher ceiling than Barnes, actually, but I don't expect him to reach it.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                All about minutes

Granted Ross was pretty green as a rook but he's getting production because of the minutes. Barnes isn't getting production because he's not getting minutes.

The league really is a "what have you done for me lately?" league but the fact is Barnes is incredibly talented. This will probably ruffle a few feathers here but I'd take Barnes/Ross over Demar/Ross as a swing corp almost any day of the week.
                Exactly
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
                  I think Ross has a higher ceiling than Barnes, actually, but I don't expect him to reach it.
                  I think it's the opposite, Barnes has the higher ceiling while Ross I think can always be a 3 and D guy at the worst on pretty much any good to great team.

Comment

Funny how there's so much chatter about the need for a 3 & D wing, but when it looks like we may have a great one developing before our eyes, with even upside to be even more, some people continue to pine for Barnes, who can hit 3s, and has a nice big body for the SF spot, but not much else. He's not a great ball handler, he doesn't create for others, and his D is poor,,,,, but yeah some are so stuck on past impressions, they'd jump at unloading our budding elite 3 & D guy for him.

Not saying Barnes won't improve, but there's reasons why GSW went out and spent big bucks on Iggy, to bump him to the bench. Iggy plays great D, which Barnes doesn't. Iggy facilitates for others, which Barnes doesn't. When you've got shooters like GSW has in the backcourt, and if you're not getting defense or assists from your SF, you at least want him getting to the line and helping with putting opponent in foul trouble (DD). Barnes doesn't.

Both of these kids have lots of development to go through before knowing what they'll be, but don't get too enamored by Barnes' perfect body. James Johnson has great body for SF too. Joey Graham is build like LeBron too. At this point, Barnes isn't anywhere near what some think he is. I'd put my money on Ross over him.

Comment

I think both are pretty even, maybe I would give Barnes a slight edge, because he is a true 3 that shoots efficient numbers from the outside. If we didn't have DeRozan and had a high calibre 3, I would want Ross. My dream roster would have both of these guys on it. I love watching both their games! I would not move Ross for him.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                        Funny how there's so much chatter about the need for a 3 & D wing, but when it looks like we may have a great one developing before our eyes, with even upside to be even more, some people continue to pine for Barnes, who can hit 3s, and has a nice big body for the SF spot, but not much else. He's not a great ball handler, he doesn't create for others, and his D is poor,,,,, but yeah some are so stuck on past impressions, they'd jump at unloading our budding elite 3 & D guy for him.

Not saying Barnes won't improve, but there's reasons why GSW went out and spent big bucks on Iggy, to bump him to the bench. Iggy plays great D, which Barnes doesn't. Iggy facilitates for others, which Barnes doesn't. When you've got shooters like GSW has in the backcourt, and if you're not getting defense or assists from your SF, you at least want him getting to the line and helping with putting opponent in foul trouble (DD). Barnes doesn't.

Both of these kids have lots of development to go through before knowing what they'll be, but don't get too enamored by Barnes' perfect body. James Johnson has great body for SF too. Joey Graham is build like LeBron too. At this point, Barnes isn't anywhere near what some think he is. I'd put my money on Ross over him.
                        Barnes is not poor defensively. He's actually pretty good. That is all.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Barnes is not poor defensively. He's actually pretty good. That is all.
                          Okay. Why do you think they spent big dollars on Iggy, and moved such a promising SF to the bench?

Comment

Okay. Why do you think they spent big dollars on Iggy, and moved such a promising SF to the bench?
                            to attain near immediate success and to sustain future success... you dont win championships with a Sophomore like Barnes as your starting 3 in the western conference... Barnes needs time to develop into a starter

Comment

Because Iguodala is an all-star, a member of the US national team, and one of the most underrated guys in the league, he's basically a poor man's Lebron, and Barnes is a 2nd year player.

Comment

Working...
                              X