• Show
Clear All

• History review: 2006-07 Offseason Power Rankings

In the start of the season, ESPN ranked the Raps as #24 out of 30 teams
    but by the end of the season, we were ranked #6
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/...=2&season=2007

nba.com ranked us #25 but we ended at the top of our division
    http://www.nba.com/features/power_rankings.html

Does the 2010-11 Raptors have what it takes to surprise again?

No. No they do not.

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
      In the start of the season, ESPN ranked the Raps as #24 out of 30 teams
      but by the end of the season, we were ranked #6
      http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/...=2&season=2007

nba.com ranked us #25 but we ended at the top of our division
      http://www.nba.com/features/power_rankings.html

Does the 2010-11 Raptors have what it takes to surprise again?
      Not a chance. The Raptors don't have the same make up now. Back then they had two really strong leaders, who were strong defenders and consistent on offense. Those two guys were Anthony Parker and Jorge Garbajosa. Right now, I don't see that present in anyone. Jack may be a good leader but he showed some character flaws last season that he can't bring to the table this season if he wants to be a good leader. Even if he brings his best to the table I'm skeptical if he's the guy who can bring this group together. You can take a history lesson of years prior to 2006-07 where the team got a crap power ranking and then went on to prove the critics correct. There are more cases of that.

Comment

They will surprise the analysts who expect them to be in dead last in the league but on paper, this is a 25 win team as currently constructed. It's a good thing that a) BC isn't done building this team (no way he let's that trade exception go to waste) and b) that NBA games aren't played on paper.

Comment

NBA games aren't played on Twitter either.

Comment

EverythingBlaxx wrote: View Post
            They will surprise the analysts who expect them to be in dead last in the league but on paper, this is a 25 win team as currently constructed. It's a good thing that a) BC isn't done building this team (no way he let's that trade exception go to waste) and b) that NBA games aren't played on paper.
            So you are saying that Bosh was worth about 20 non-replaceable wins last season?

40 2009-10 win total
            5 add in five for Turks negative effect on the team that will not longer be present
            --------
            45 Total est wins in 09-10 if the Raptors had had Kleiza and not Turk
            25 Your win total
            ---------
            20 - win decline.
            ============

Bosh's value to the 09-10 Raptors = 20 non-replaceable wins.

So Bosh was worth half of the Raptors wins in 09-10. Yea sure he was.

I think that you have a big hole in your screen door.
            Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 02:13 PM.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Jack has already brought this group together (outside of the International players)- who do you think organized the fellas in TO before training camp & was in Vegas this summer working out with the team- Jose? Bargnani? No way, it was/is Jack.

Any team with Bargnani as the Franchise player isn't going to win much more than 25 games in the NBA plus that 2006 Raptor roster was much more basketball experienced from top to bottom. Plus that team had a competitive coach (Sam) whom held players accountable & they played solid defense as well.

Too bad BC watched as Boston made all the real moves after the 2006-07 season that have left them atop the Division ever since, challenging for another NBA title in 2010 while TO is waiting to watch were the 2011 Lottery balls fall.

Toronto-as is, will be one of the worst teams (Cleveland, Minnesota, TO) in the entire NBA record wise.
              Last edited by SirChillyMost; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Ed Davis will play the role of Bargnani ... strong rookie campaign, in conversation for ROY.

Kleiza will play the role of Garbajosa, the gritty big SF who plays tons of key minutes and contributes in many ways.

Anthony Parker was actually a disappointment for me ... I thought he'd take on the #2 scoring role on the wing after his great European career ... Barbosa will be our big scoring SG addition.

Rasho came in to play steady, unspectacular minutes at the C spot - much like we hope to see from Amir.

Bargnani will have to grow into the CB4 role, of main offensive threat and all-star ... it's possible.

Fred Jones was another big disappointment that year - look to Sonny to be the explosive improvement there.

Jamario was the next season but - GASP - Ronald Dupree's here. Although we don't have the crazy void we used to at SF/SG.

Looking at wings, i'd say today's version of DeMar, Kleiza, Barbosa, Sonny ... is better than the division winning Parker, Jones, Graham, Garbajosa ... arguably ...
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                  Jack has already brought this group together (outside of the International players)- who do you think organized the fellas in TO before training camp & was in Vegas this summer working out with the team- Jose? Bargnani? No way, it was/is Jack.

Any team with Bargnani as the Franchise player isn't going to win much more than 25 games in the NBA plus that 2006 Raptor roster was much more basketball experienced from top to bottom. Plus that team had a competitive coach (Sam) whom held players accountable & they played solid defense as well.

Too bad BC watched as Boston made all the real moves after the 2006-07 season that have left them atop the Division ever since, challenging for another NBA title in 2010 while TO is waiting to watch were the 2011 Lottery balls fall.

Toronto-as is, will be one of the worst teams (Cleveland, Minnesota, TO) in the entire NBA record wise.
                  seriously man, you should just do a cut and paste coz you say the same crap every single time
                  here, cut and paste this because this is pretty much the gyst off ALL your posts

bargnani sucks
                  bc sucks
                  raptors suck

Comment

I think they will be quite a bit better than most are predicting. I don't see them finishing ahead of the Celtics for the division but battling for the eighth spot at around 500 is a very good possibility.

In terms of player importance during 06-07 season I think Kleiza and Ed Davis are both guys who bring a lot of the same element that Garbo brought. Actually I think the biggest issue this team will have is a lack or wing players who can shoot well. Unless DeRozen and Weems have improved vastly from distance the only wing we have who can spot up from three is kleiza and I don't think that's the role they want for him. The 06-07 team had Parker and a superior version or Jason Kapono knocking down threes.
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                      seriously man, you should just do a cut and paste coz you say the same crap every single time
                      here, cut and paste this because this is pretty much the gyst off ALL your posts

bargnani sucks
                      bc sucks
                      raptors suck

'Nuff said.......

Comment

Bargnani isn't a franchise player - no doubt about that. He is a good second option (with solid defensive players around him) and an unbelievable third option.

This goes along with what my thinking of the Raptors is as currently constructed (which I have repeated numerous times):

The Raptors have great role players and bench. They do not have elite NBA quality starters at this point.

Hopefully a high draft pick (Perry Jones? Kyle Irving? Harrison Barnes?), a trade involving the TPE, a trade involving some expiring contracts, and a solid free agent signing will make the Raptors serious competitors in 1-2 seasons.

Time will tell. Hopefully BC didn't use his three wishes in Phoenix and in 2006-2007.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Bargnani isn't a franchise player - no doubt about that. He is a good second option (with solid defensive players around him) and an unbelievable third option.

This goes along with what my thinking of the Raptors is as currently constructed (which I have repeated numerous times):

The Raptors have great role players and bench. They do not have elite NBA quality starters at this point.

Hopefully a high draft pick (Perry Jones? Kyle Irving? Harrison Barnes?), a trade involving the TPE, a trade involving some expiring contracts, and a solid free agent signing will make the Raptors serious competitors in 1-2 seasons.

Time will tell. Hopefully BC didn't use his three wishes in Phoenix and in 2006-2007.
                          The thing about saying that someone is not a legit starter is that it almost begs the question.

The reason is because the argument goes that so and so is not a legit starter on a playoff quality team.

So my question is how many players with as few career NBA minutes as DeRozan and Amir have are starters on NBA playoff teams?

Amir, Kleiza and DeRozan along with Bargs and maybe even Jack could start on other selective lottery teams depending on the needs on those teams.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Grammar, please.
                            It's about money

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              The thing about saying that someone is not a legit starter is that it almost begs the question.

The reason is because the argument goes that so and so is not a legit starter on a playoff quality team.

So my question is how many players with as few career NBA minutes as DeRozan and Amir have are starters on NBA playoff teams?

Amir, Kleiza and DeRozan along with Bargs and maybe even Jack could start on other selective lottery teams depending on the needs on those teams.
                              I don't know about the minutes question and, no offense, have little desire to check it out. But off the top of my head:

1) Rondo and Perkins the year the C's won the championship but they bought Rondo from Phoenix and traded all young assets and #5 in Jeff Green for Allen and Garnett to go along with Pierce (needless to say this is an exception to the rule)
                              2) Courtney Lee with Orlando 2 years ago but look at who he started with
                              3) Beasley in Miami but the Raps don't have a Wade to carry the entire team - and Bosh is not in the same league as Wade
                              4) Jennings in Milwaukee
                              5) Sam Cassell back in the '94
                              6) Carmelo's rookie season

Basically to answer your question - it is rare.

However, the follow up comment is exactly what I'm talking about. The guys the Raptors have starting could start on almost any other lottery team. As a Raptor fan, this isn't good enough for me. Instead of a lineup like this:

PG - Jack/Calderon/Banks
                              SG - DD/Barbosa/Weems
                              SF - Kleiza/Wright/Dupree
                              PF - Johnson/Davis/Evans/Dorsey
                              C - Bargs/Anderson/Alabi

I would like to see a line up like this:

PG - Kyle Irving/Jack
                              SG - DD/Barbosa/Weems
                              SF - Jeff Green/Kleiza/Wright
                              PF - Bargs/Davis/Dorsey
                              C - Marc Gasol/Johnson/Alabi

Does that make sense? The guys we have are great bench and role players. The guys in italics (who I thought of off the top of my head) are the kind of players we need to really compete which we don't have.

Hopefully a high draft pick, TPE, and cap space can combine to create a lineup with the talent we already have and the options available in the draft, free agency, and trade market.

Comment

Working...
                              X