Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the media support the Canadian U18 basketball team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't the media support the Canadian U18 basketball team?

I really don't know the answer to this. We have the best player for that age group in the world in Andrew Wiggins (who has always supported team Canada), we also have the 7th best player in Trey Lyles... who may move up soon. He had 17 point and 16 points at half in the first game against Puerto Rico, and he's smooth. The talent and defense this team shows is unreal. This is the best crop of Canadian talent and they've been medalists in every age group, and I'm sure it will continue. Why doesn't a sports network pick this up... why doesn't someone write an article on it. Canada's next game is today at 8, it's streams in low quality from the home page of this site, close to the bottom. http://www.fibaamericas.com

I also found an interesting story about http://ciabouncebasketball.com/home last year. They beat the US east and central teams before loosing in the finals to the US West team by 1 points.

It's a bright future for hoops in Canada, but if we need to support them.

This isn't Everything Raptors

Comment

Thanks for the link, i think i will check the game out tonight. At least until game 3 starts.

Comment

It would be nice to see a little more mainstream media attention for our youth teams, they are loaded with talent and have many players that will (some are already) become household names in the future. If Canada wins this tournament maybe we will get some bandwagon jumping happening and we would be a heavy favourite for the world U19 championships next year.

http://northpolehoops.com/2012/06/17...umbia-up-next/ Link to a recap of game 1
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
          This isn't Everything Raptors
          No it is not, but the Raptors are Canadian and many Canadian basketball fans check in with teh board, it is just one place to get a little publicity for the team.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I'm on the bandwagon. Seriously, I don't see how any Canadian basketball fan can not be excited by the youth program right now.

Comment

It's not exactly a "home grown" team in that 7 of 12 members play their high school hoops in the US. USA are the favourites in the tourney with Argentina and Brazil being top seeds with Canada.

Comment

Short answer: It doesn't sell newspapers nor draw listeners. It's called "whats good or bad for business". Capitalism sucks sometimes!

Regarding radio coverage, we barely induce mention of the pros or the senior men's bb team. There is an amateur/school/university sports radio show on the Fan590 on the weekend sometime in the morning...this would be the logical spot for such news. I wonder what ratings they get...not much I think. One of the reasons blogs such as this are popular and get eyeballs is because mainstream media coverage sucks both in quality/substance and detail.

Comment

Man, Canada just threw down the hammer in the fourth quarter of this game... 32-8 in the q. I think that win guarantees them an appearance in the U19 next summer, but really they haven't played any good teams. Argentina up next, which should be their first real challenge.

Comment

That was a great 4th quarter. I'm glad to see some responses on this topic. Most player do leave to play hoops in the US due to training and exposure, but they come back and represent the country... excluding Dyshawn Pierre who's family decided it was good to stay in Canada. I wouldn't knock them for not being "home grown." Personally, I think/hope this story does start to gain momentum. It will mean a lot for the sport in this Country. Oh, and the Raptors do sponsor them... so it does have something to do with the team.

Comment

As a Canadian living abroad, I would love to see more info on the Canadian U18 and Canadian International Basketball in general on these forums. It's not "everything raptors" but maybe it deserves it's own forum here?

Comment

speedbag wrote: View Post
                        That was a great 4th quarter. I'm glad to see some responses on this topic. Most player do leave to play hoops in the US due to training and exposure, but they come back and represent the country... excluding Dyshawn Pierre who's family decided it was good to stay in Canada. I wouldn't knock them for not being "home grown." Personally, I think/hope this story does start to gain momentum. It will mean a lot for the sport in this Country. Oh, and the Raptors do sponsor them... so it does have something to do with the team.
                        Duane Notice has also played all his high school ball in Canada, also there are two BC kids, Bunce and Conor Morgan that stayed at home as well. I could be missing one or two. While it does help to get "noticed" by going down south, the emergence of AAU clubs and other summer teams will be making it easier for kids to stay home to get their education and still train and get noticed for scholarships down south.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          .... While it does help to get "noticed" by going down south, the emergence of AAU clubs and other summer teams will be making it easier for kids to stay home to get their education and still train and get noticed for scholarships down south.
                          My understanding is that it is more a function of better coaching and training facilities. While state requirements vary I found this on the livestrong site:

"Standard requirements for high school basketball coach include a teaching certificate or license, a bachelor's degree in education or related subject, criminal background check and coaching experience.

Positions as a full-time basketball coach will usually require a teacher's certificate, a degree in physical education or a related subject, and experience as a professional or volunteer coach."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...#ixzz1y8wpiKTp

Note that they mention full-time basketball coach. On the site they differentiate those from coaches who also teach classes or who are part-time (|not teachers and only work part of the year coaching basketball).

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            My understanding is that it is more a function of better coaching and training facilities. While state requirements vary I found this on the livestrong site:

"Standard requirements for high school basketball coach include a teaching certificate or license, a bachelor's degree in education or related subject, criminal background check and coaching experience.

Positions as a full-time basketball coach will usually require a teacher's certificate, a degree in physical education or a related subject, and experience as a professional or volunteer coach."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...#ixzz1y8wpiKTp

Note that they mention full-time basketball coach. On the site they differentiate those from coaches who also teach classes or who are part-time (|not teachers and only work part of the year coaching basketball).
                            This all depends on the school and program, the prep schools lean towards full time coaches, where as the regular high schools are similar to Canada, except they do get paid to coach the team....some fairly well. Do some research on what Bob Hurley (Sr.) gets paid as one of the best coaches in the world at a high school. He currently makes $6500 to coach St Anthony's....no I did not leave off a zero....and that is a huge raise from the $1500 he used to make.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Looking at the roster of the Canadian junior team, it is remarkable that 9 of the players are from the Toronto area, two are from BC, and Trey Lyles has dual citizenship and has grown up in the Indiana.

Comment

Working...
                              X