Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendall Marshall...go!

ESPN:

After Monday's report by NBA.com's Scott Howard-Cooper that indicated that Phoenix has put 2012 lottery pick Kendall Marshall on the trading block, we take a look at some of the likeliest landing spots for the young pass-first point guard.

The Suns didn't use Marshall much at all in his rookie season, at least not until it was firmly established that they were one of the worst teams in the league. When all was said and done, he averaged 3.0 points and 3.0 assists in 14.6 minutes a game last season, and with Eric Bledsoe joining Goran Dragic in the Suns' backcourt this summer the Suns are reportedly looking to trade Marshall or package him with others in a deal. At this stage, even a second-round pick may be more valuable for Phoenix and new GM Ryan McDonough than going forward with Marshall as the team's third point guard.

Here are some teams that may be interested in making a deal for the heady North Carolina product:
    Milwaukee -- It remains to be seen what the Bucks will do with Brandon Jennings, but without him they have only Luke Ridnour, Ish Smith and second-rounder Nate Wolters on the point guard depth chart.
    Charlotte -- A return to the state of North Carolina might be appealing, and current backup Ramon Sessions is in the final year of his deal.
    Boston -- The rebuilding Celtics still don't have a true backup to Rondo.
    Philadelphia -- The suddenly-young 76ers may be the worst team in the league next season, and need a second point guard to pair with Michael Carter-Williams.
    Toronto -- The Raptors have an abundance of wings and could try to swap one of them for Marshall, especially since they need a backup for Kyle Lowry.

-----------------------------------------

Any chance there is interest on our end for Marshall. I was actually pretty interested in drafting this guy. I think it could still work as a change of pace on the second unit.
    Welp, that sucked.

I personally have no opinion since I have not seen him at all the past season...but here is an assessment in a piece by the Suns site on SBNation:

In my final analysis I will use an amalgamation of the three grades as a weather vane for Kendall's rookie season. He obviously has a lot of work to do, but I also felt he showed at least a few glimmers of hope. He didn't blow me away, but he didn't completely blow.

Overall Grade: C-

A fuller review:

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/20...ndall-marshall

The reviews are generally not appealing even on potential probably topping out as a bench/backup pg.

Comment

Marshall's value is really low right now so now would be a good time to buy if you think he has NBA game...

Comment

I'd like him but what would they want from us? Ross?

Comment

I was a big fan of Marshall in last year's draft, but didn't think he was worth such a high draft pick. I still like him as backup pass-first PG.

Option #1: Kleiza --> Marshall

Option #2: Kleiza & Fields --> Butler & Marshall

I might even throw in a late 2nd round pick (ie: the lower of TOR/NYK 2017 2nd round pick).

EDIT: this is all predicated by the lack of an official Kleiza amnesty announcement
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 16, 2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
            Hahaha, that won't happen. I would send second rounders and maybe an expiring. Look what TRob went for.

Comment

He fits the bill for Ujiri's "young players on the bench" mantra, but I'm not sure he can even handle 2nd string minutes? I'd still trade for him anyway.

Comment

How about Marshal, Caron Butler and their first rounder for Derozan?

I'd take a run at marshall if he can be gotten cheap, he still has potential and we have room of a young developpong pg.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Cash. He's not worth even a second-rounder. This kid is a lottery ticket at best.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    How about Marshal, Caron Butler and their first rounder for Derozan?
                    Phoenix isn't trading that first-rounder; they're basically guaranteed a top five pick right now because they're going to be terrible. MacDonough knows what he's doing and isn't going to send out picks.

Comment

I'm not sure suns fans think the same, but it would be nice to get him for Qrich and second rounder

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                        He fits the bill for Ujiri's "young players on the bench" mantra, but I'm not sure he can even handle 2nd string minutes? I'd still trade for him anyway.
                        I we got him I would assume he would be a 3rd stringer -- falling under that new Masai category of young talent at the end of the bench (the Quincy Miller, Fournier or Hamilton)

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                          Hell no. Marshall is a flop. They get somebody who can help them and nothing more... And I'm not sure who that is but we need to forget where he was drafted because he should have went later.

Comment

NO thanks. Classic case of useful at the college level, but has neither speed nor shooting to be of much value at this level.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                              NO thanks. Classic case of useful at the college level, but has neither speed nor shooting to be of much value at this level.
                              He has only had one year in the NBA and is just 21 years old.

Surely this is a skill he can learn and become quite proficient at.

Comment

Working...
                              X