Ed Davis & Al Horford Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Davis & Al Horford Comparison

In what promises to be a rebuilding / tanking-to-draft-a-good-PG year most people are only excited about seeing the growth of DeMar and Sonny - I think the surprise will be Ed Davis - having watched him play @ UNC - I am a huge fan of his game and the Raps got the steal of the draft @ 13.

As soon as his sophomore year I think you can expect Al Horford type numbers from him - bit more shot blocking bit less rebounding lets compare:

ED |6'10 | 230lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 36 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.21
    AL |6'10 | 245lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 35 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.37

Stats/per/game (final year in NCAA of both)
    ED 13pts | .58 FGP | 9.2 Reb | 2.7 Blocks | 1.9 TO | 1.8pf
    AL 13pts | .61 FGP | 9.5 Reb | 1.8 Blocks | 1.8 TO | 2.5pf

The similarities are uncanny - this does not always translate into NBA of course. But in this case there is plenty of reason to think so.

Top Rookies should be DeMarcus Cousins & John Wall will burst out of the gate year one. Years down the road Ed Davis will be named among the top picks of this draft though for sure.

One other note about Ed Davis is his temperament. He has a very cool demeanor somewhat like Ray Allen. Very methodical about crushing his opponent never too high never too low - extremely composed and mature beyond his years.

"I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

If he can be that Al Horford type player I would be very happy. If he can translate that shot blocking presence he will be the steal of the draft.

Comment

That 15 pound difference is pretty big, but over the years Davis can build muscle to become stronger and a bigger presence...

Comment

Ed's draft comparison (best case/worst case as per Draft Express) was Al Horford/Udonis Haslem(...minus the drugs).

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
          In what promises to be a rebuilding / tanking-to-draft-a-good-PG year most people are only excited about seeing the growth of DeMar and Sonny - I think the surprise will be Ed Davis - having watched him play @ UNC - I am a huge fan of his game and the Raps got the steal of the draft @ 13.

As soon as his sophomore year I think you can expect Al Horford type numbers from him - bit more shot blocking bit less rebounding lets compare:

ED |6'10 | 230lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 36 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.21
          AL |6'10 | 245lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 35 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.37

Stats/per/game (final year in NCAA of both)
          ED 13pts | .58 FGP | 9.2 Reb | 2.7 Blocks | 1.9 TO | 1.8pf
          AL 13pts | .61 FGP | 9.5 Reb | 1.8 Blocks | 1.8 TO | 2.5pf

The similarities are uncanny - this does not always translate into NBA of course. But in this case there is plenty of reason to think so.

Top Rookies should be DeMarcus Cousins & John Wall will burst out of the gate year one. Years down the road Ed Davis will be named among the top picks of this draft though for sure.

One other note about Ed Davis is his temperament. He has a very cool demeanor somewhat like Ray Allen. Very methodical about crushing his opponent never too high never too low - extremely composed and mature beyond his years.

1. Interesting comparison - The one difference is that Horford's Florida team as I recall won two Final Fours and he was a very big part of that.

In any case I am sure that all of us here would love to see Davis's NBA game equal or exceed Horfords

2. At the Chicago Combine Horford scored a 20 in the bench press. Davis probably because of his wrist did not compete in it. Davis scored somewhat better in the "lane agility" test.

3. Blake Griffin is also in the running for the ROY. Most likely though ESPN will hype Cousins and Wall and pretty much ignore Griffin like they did Jennings except when he scored 55 in that one game and of course in the playoffs. So in the end no matter how well Griffin plays he probably won't win the ROY.
          Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Aug 17, 2010, 12:21 PM.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Ed's draft comparison (best case/worst case as per Draft Express) was Al Horford/Udonis Haslem(...minus the drugs).
            Does it say "minus the drugs" on that actual website?

Taking a little literary license are you, eh
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think demar and ed are the new faces of the raps, demar is working hard on his game and is setting the bar at a high level for himself this year and davis will get stronger, bosh was tge same build when he first came to toronto so i dont think its gonna be a problem for the raps staff to do the same for davis. These two players will be talked about for years to come.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                Does it say "minus the drugs" on that actual website?

Taking a little literary license are you, eh
                They probably felt it goes without saying but I disagree.

Comment

Davis has been overlooked and I think that actually will benefit him in his rookie campaign. Modest expectations and a modest role is what Davis needs coming out of the gate as he hones his chops and builds his confidence. I could easily see Davis developing into one of the best big men in a draft that was loaded with size. If I had to protect two player's on the team from a hypothetical expansion draft I would tag Davis and Derozan without blinking an eye.

Buddha, what should ESPN have done to hype up a point guard who shot 37% during a year when Curry and Evans put up all world rookie campaigns. I am a huge Jennings guy and loved when he went to Europe instead of College, but I'd rank him as the third pg from last years draft and wonder how he is going to handle a sophomore season where he will be expected to shoot a much better percentage with significantly less shots. Having said that he is much more likely to lead his team to any sort of playoff success than Curry or Evans, although I think the Kings are going to surprise some people.

Comment

G-locity wrote: View Post
                    I think demar and ed are the new faces of the raps, demar is working hard on his game and is setting the bar at a high level for himself this year and davis will get stronger, bosh was tge same build when he first came to toronto so i dont think its gonna be a problem for the raps staff to do the same for davis. These two players will be talked about for years to come.
                    yes DeMar is certified - I have no doubt he will be a top SG in the league by the end of his rookie contract.
                    - perfect NBA body
                    - Athletic phreak
                    - Desire/ Work ethic
                    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      They probably felt it goes without saying but I disagree.
                      You know about ye ole "Assume" thingy don't you?

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                        Davis has been overlooked and I think that actually will benefit him in his rookie campaign. Modest expectations and a modest role is what Davis needs coming out of the gate as he hones his chops and builds his confidence. I could easily see Davis developing into one of the best big men in a draft that was loaded with size. If I had to protect two player's on the team from a hypothetical expansion draft I would tag Davis and Derozan without blinking an eye.

Buddha, what should ESPN have done to hype up a point guard who shot 37% during a year when Curry and Evans put up all world rookie campaigns. I am a huge Jennings guy and loved when he went to Europe instead of College, but I'd rank him as the third pg from last years draft and wonder how he is going to handle a sophomore season where he will be expected to shoot a much better percentage with significantly less shots. Having said that he is much more likely to lead his team to any sort of playoff success than Curry or Evans, although I think the Kings are going to surprise some people.
                        Why does the league consider a team's standings when it comes to the MVP vote but not the ROY vote?

Jenning's on court leadership was extremely instrumental in helping the Bucks achieve the success that they did last season. Of course there was Bogut, until he got injured, Salmons and Carlos who also contributed greatly to the Bucks team success in 09-10, but without Jennings, no way that the Bucks would have made the playoffs despite his low shooting percentage from the field.

Comment

Good comparison and if Davis can turn in to a player similar to Horford I would be ecstatic. One thing to mention: Horford played 3 years of college, Davis 2. Davis missed the last part of the season due to injury (which everybody knows) but the Tar Heels certainly didn't have a deep team this year and Davis was surely always one of the main focal points for the opposition in preparation. Compare that to Horford and the teammates he played with his last 2 years (Noah, Corey Brewer, Taurean Green, Marresse Speights).

I feel good about the prospects of Davis - hopefully he can adjust to the 'different' city of Toronto much like Johnson, Weems, and DeRozan appear to have.

Comment

Why does the league consider a team's standings when it comes to the MVP vote but not the ROY vote?

Jenning's on court leadership was extremely instrumental in helping the Bucks achieve the success that they did last season. Of course there was Bogut, until he got injured, Salmons and Carlos who also contributed greatly to the Bucks team success in 09-10, but without Jennings, no way that the Bucks would have made the playoffs despite his low shooting percentage from the field.
                            I agree his leadership and steady hand helped them down the stretch even though he shot 30% in February, but how much ROY consideration should a guy get who goes 15-5 with bad shooting percentages from the field. If anything the 55 point game put him on the map when his play didn't and the fact that the Bucks went on a magical run that more a result of Salmons that anything thrust his name into the ROY conversation.

Going forward would you take him over Curry and Evans and what do you project for him this season?

The two things he has going for him are his defense, which for a rookie was outstanding and the fact that that he upped his game in the playoffs when it mattered. It also shouldn't be underrated how much more of a transition he had to make from a regular rotation player in Europe to a star in the pro's whereas most rookies get the more traditional college year as a stepping stone.

Comment

1. Interesting comparison - The one difference is that Horford's Florida team as I recall won two Final Fours and he was a very big part of that.

In any case I am sure that all of us here would love to see Davis's NBA game equal or exceed Horfords

2. At the Chicago Combine Horford scored a 20 in the bench press. Davis probably because of his wrist did not compete in it. Davis scored somewhat better in the "lane agility" test.

3. Blake Griffin is also in the running for the ROY. Most likely though ESPN will hype Cousins and Wall and pretty much ignore Griffin like they did Jennings except when he scored 55 in that one game and of course in the playoffs. So in the end no matter how well Griffin plays he probably won't win the ROY.
                              Ed Davis was part of a national championship his first year, and we'll give him a pass on his second year - since he missed the latter part of it with a wrist injury.
                              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                              X