Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't We All Just Move Along?

Dear Fellow RR'ers,

I think it's time to throw in the towel. Not on the upcoming season, but on this off season and every season before it. Let's put the past where it belongs, behind us. We have the ability with this upcoming season to change what this franchise stands for, where it is going and how it is going to get there. It starts with us, the people who care enough for our team to be reading and writing about it in the damn off season. We need to start backing who we have on our roster and forget about who isn't on it.

I have read my fair share of posts on here, and lately there have been more negative than positive. The laundry list of players that have left here on good or bad terms cannot and will not help us this season. What will help is supporting the guys that are still here and seem to want to be here. Are we gonna win many games this year? Probably not. The better question is can we establish a foundation to build on this year? I say yes, if we, as fans demand nothing less. A team built on the back of one player has not and will not work. We may not have a franchise player but we still have a damn franchise, right.

Do I think that this roster is complete? Hell no. Do I think it needs to be complete before October? Hell no. In fact if this roster is finalized before the trade deadline I will be disappointed. The people on this roster, right now, need to play some games together, they need to test their mettle, and the only way to do that is to be thrown into the fire, and see what comes out the other side.

People talk about the gaps in the line up. Well when you build a house, the first thing you do is build the foundation, then you build the house on top of it. What good is it for BC to go out get Player A(insert name here) to fix a hole, when Player A could end up taking away from foundation. Now Player A may be an expensive stain glass window, but if you aren't building a church or a cathedral, you are going to look damn silly when the house is done.

I have no idea if what I am trying to express is coming across right, but I am putting it out there. We, as fans, can and should set our expectations on getting a team built and let all this other drama fall to wayside. Let's let the bullshit go where the bullshit belongs, to a pile somewhere in some farmers field, 'cause it sure ain't make this forum smell any sweeter.
    Last edited by bigbubbamac; Mon Aug 2, 2010, 08:57 PM.

Sorry can't agree with you

If you ever have a job, go to school, etc., your judged by your past -- not your future. In the 5 years Colangelo had a foundation:

A power forward named Bosh

He found a point guard, wait Jose was already here.
    He found another point guard 4 years in (Jack)
    He found him a power forward and tried to sell him to the pubic as a center (Andrea)
    He found a broke down center who had a history of injuries (Jermaine O.)
    He found a great small forward who got injured and never came back (Garbo)
    -- I actually liked Anthony Parker but no one cried when he left --
    He found another okay small forward after trading the broke down center then let him go (Marion)
    He then overpaid a player with one excellent playoff and created an environment where said player thought he was a basketball god (Hedo)
    We don't make the playoffs said foundation leaves.

I'm not saying Bosh was the right foundation -- we'll never know because he never was supported by a solid 1,2,3 at the same time for more than one season those 5 years and never had a decent 5.

Now we have a young core with tons of potential. Do you think this is the man to put the right parts around these guys? The right guy to find the right mix of veterans and role players?

According to his past actions here -not actions taken under daddy's watchful eye- I want this guy as far away from DeRozen, Weems, and Davis as possible.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      Sorry can't agree with you

If you ever have a job, go to school, etc., your judged by your past -- not your future. In the 5 years Colangelo had a foundation:

A power forward named Bosh

He found a point guard, wait Jose was already here.
      He found another point guard 4 years in (Jack)
      He found him a power forward and tried to sell him to the pubic as a center (Andrea)
      He found a broke down center who had a history of injuries (Jermaine O.)
      He found a great small forward who got injured and never came back (Garbo)
      -- I actually liked Anthony Parker but no one cried when he left --
      He found another okay small forward after trading the broke down center then let him go (Marion)
      He then overpaid a player with one excellent playoff and created an environment where said player thought he was a basketball god (Hedo)
      We don't make the playoffs said foundation leaves.

I'm not saying Bosh was the right foundation -- we'll never know because he never was supported by a solid 1,2,3 at the same time for more than one season those 5 years and never had a decent 5.

Now we have a young core with tons of potential. Do you think this is the man to put the right parts around these guys? The right guy to find the right mix of veterans and role players?

According to his past actions here -not actions taken under daddy's watchful eye- I want this guy as far away from DeRozen, Weems, and Davis as possible.
      rofl, now your comment looks completely stupid taken out of context. hahahaha
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

lol

Comment

i agree with you though. i mean marion was one of few players who comlimented the bosh and barngnani front court.

we get rid of him because he wants 9 million and we sign someone the same age as him, who doesnt compliment the game we play for 2 million more for 5 yrs.

marion could have been had for 9million over 3 years.

a year later and what are we looking for a starting caliber pf and sf both positions marion can play.

maybe, with the leaving of his biggest free agent signing and the leaving of his franchise guy he finally got the smack in the head that said he could have had a v8 rather than koolaid.

it seems hes got it right this time. sure there were some bumps in the road but we get to see what hes going to do.

no offence to amir but davis is going to be the better player of the two.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I also felt Marion would have been a good fit. But I think the thread is talking more just coangelo who we can't put behind us simple because he is presently our current gm and president of basketball operations. I agree that focusing on past player departures (bosh and Turk included) is not the best use of our time. So I will no longer read or post about these things for the rest of the off season.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Um, guys. Marion didn't want to come back.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                Um, guys. Marion didn't want to come back.
                Exactly! That's what everyone forgets.. Marion wanted to win, and he realized that this wasn't the spot for it.

Comment

da_goose09 wrote: View Post
                  Exactly! That's what everyone forgets.. Marion wanted to win, and he realized that this wasn't the spot for it.
                  I agree that he didn't want to come back, but I don't think it was because he wanted to win. He never would have left Pheonix in that case.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Personally, I'm looking forward to the on-the-court product this upcoming season. Even with the low expectations when it comes to wins/losses, I think the Raps have enough athleticism & chemistry to make the team exciting on a night to night basis.

Watching the ball get force fed to Bosh every trip down the court and watching him jabstep and shoot the 15 footer on 13 consecutive possessions isn't my ideal style of basketball. I think they'll move to an offense more focused on ball movement (out of necessity if nothing else - they don't have a guy who you can just hand the ball off to and get consistent buckets) and I'm honestly looking forward to that. And hey, who knows, maybe that will even deter Bargnani from shooting it EVERY time it touches his fingertips since he'll be getting more touches in the flow of the game.

On top of all that, one of my favorite aspects of professional sports is when teams actually seem to like each other and support one another on the bench. The Raptors did this last year, even with some significant chemistry issues that didn't come to light until after the season had ended. This years version of the Raptors will exceed that.

But that doesn't change the fact that I think Colangelo's time in Toronto has run its course. The franchise is at it's lowest point since the Vince Carter debacle and it has happened entirely under BC's direction. I think the public pissing match with Turkoglu/Bosh was the final straw.

Besides being classless, him comments about Bosh do not make any sense if we are to believe him. If you're willing to offer maximum money to a player that you believed QUIT on you during the regular season, then what does that say about his managerial skills?

He came off sounding like a spurned boyfriend and I honestly think he insulted the intelligence of the fanbase in the process. Throw in Turkoglu's public service announcement to stay away from Toronto and Colangelo and it's evolved into a full blown nightmare for the Raptors.
                    Last edited by Fully; Tue Aug 3, 2010, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I see that some of you got the gist of what I was trying to convey. Those players that have recently left, I do not name them as I am truly tired of their names taking up space on this site, are gone. One of them gave a great deal to this franchise, whether it was enough matters little now. The other did little to nothing for this franchise, and who is to blame for that means very little now. BC is still here, he's got a year left on his contract and MLSE are the only one's that know if that will change.

Personally I think he get's re-upped, but it may not be as long term this time. As much as I love Calderon, he is going to be moved, along with most of our expiring contracts. I also think that whatever BC does with that movement, there needs to be at least one more first round pick coming back. Frankly we may be "re-tooling", but I don't think we will be doing so with any out of date tools, but rather shiny new ones. That TPE will sit until the trade deadline, I can almost guarantee that. BC will know by January whom he wants to build around and whom he wants to move, and we may find that those are different that what is being bounced around right now.

Of course I could be completely full of shit, and completely off base, but that's the joy of being on the outside looking in. There are a few people who post on here that seemed to have forgotten that fact. We are more informed, (In some cases), than the average fan, but we still only have 50% of the possible info available. Not a single one of us are GM's or have been GM's, at least that I know of, yet we feel emmiently qualified to critique BC endlessly because we have the gift of hindsight. I agree that we may be able to assess a player's ability and quality with a fair amount of competence, because we have played the game, and watched the game played. How may of us have been in board rooms, the back rooms, and had to deal with more egos than KFC deals with chickens, had to assess talent and determine the value of that talent. Us armchair GM's are fantastic because no one is really critiqing our choices, and no one remembers us pushing for a player to come here, or us pushing to keep another player here.

Comment

Working...
                      X