Is this the 2014-15 team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the 2014-15 team?

With James Johnson signed, is this the team for 2014-15?

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Buycks*
    SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
    SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Bebe

That is 15 roster spots with the * being Buycks unguaranteed deal.

If Buycks is waived, who is picked up?
    A third string PG or a backup C?
    My guess is PG.

Well, you can't say we dont have depth.

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if Fields shot has made a reappearance, and Buycks and Bebe turn out capable of 6-7 minutes a game when required?

Comment

I'd bet Buycks is waived and we pick up another C.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So what’s next?
          Well, likely nothing
          for a little while since the roster is full and it’s time to move on.

I know they wouldn’t mind trying to find a taker for Chuck Hayes (possible given his expiring contract) or Landry Fields (less likely but more desireable) if they could turn either of those two guys into younger versions of themelves but I don’t imagine anything happens on the trade front until the free agency period shakes out league-wide.

And, yes, this means – as we’ve known all along – there is no room for Dwight Buycks, any dalliance with Andray Blatche is now forgotten and, as sentimental as it would have been, there was never ever a look at Ed Davis.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...lion_deal.html
          First time in a long time I have actually read Doug and didn't end up shaking my head at my screen.

If he brought insight like this more often I would be a little more kind.

Comment

Machado maybe?

Comment

Okay, riddle me this. If a great free agent opportunity comes along to upgrade the team, but the roster is full and the team is capped out and there are no trade partners available, then Masai could simply waive Hayes or Fields, eat the salary, pay the tax and sign the free agent no?

Something Doug Smith said in his blog got me thinking.

"Salaries have a way of evening out as the free agency season drones on, there might be relative bargains to be had in the next couple or three weeks and the Raptors remain pretty well set up to do what they have to do."

He's right. Bargains sometimes DO become available. TL has said many times that the team has no problem moving into luxury tax territory, so it a FA comes along that could move the needle, and could be had on a two year deal, Bell and Rogers might easily eat an extra $6-8.5 mill this year to acquire that FA. Or have I missed something in the CBA?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                Okay, riddle me this. If a great free agent opportunity comes along to upgrade the team, but the roster is full and the team is capped out and there are no trade partners available, then Masai could simply waive Hayes or Fields, eat the salary, pay the tax and sign the free agent no?

Something Doug Smith said in his blog got me thinking.

"Salaries have a way of evening out as the free agency season drones on, there might be relative bargains to be had in the next couple or three weeks and the Raptors remain pretty well set up to do what they have to do."

He's right. Bargains sometimes DO become available. TL has said many times that the team has no problem moving into luxury tax territory, so it a FA comes along that could move the needle, and could be had on a two year deal, Bell and Rogers might easily eat an extra $6-8.5 mill this year to acquire that FA. Or have I missed something in the CBA?
                We can't just "eat" 6-8.5M. Atm we can only offer a portion of the MLE (a little under 3M or so) at most to any free agent. The only way we could offer more than that is via a sign and trade involving our TPE or maybe Hayes/Fields if the other team got some assets along with them.

Comment

Toilet Joe wrote: View Post
                  Machado maybe?
                  It's possible that a big part of summer league will be Machado/Kabongo/Buycks auditioning for that 3rd PG spot.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    With James Johnson signed, is this the team for 2014-15?

That is 15 roster spots with the * being Buycks unguaranteed deal.

If Buycks is waived, who is picked up?
                    A third string PG or a backup C?
                    My guess is PG.
                    Buycks did not really show me enough to have him fill a roster spot for another year. He is a 25 year old PG project that did not work out, in his limited minutes he did not distribute the ball well and shot it way too much...and the results were not good. I would rather take a shot with Kabongo or Machado for a year to see how they develop with an NBA roster. Plus, with Grevis on board from the start of this season, we don't need a bigger back-up guy like Buycks.

I think we really need to move one of Hayes or Hansbrough as well, with James Johnson on board he can eat a few minutes at the 4 spot in small ball line-ups with either Amir or Patterson as a 5. I just don't see where those 2 guys fit n the roster, too many splinters for aging players when we can look to bring in a little more youth. We have a fairly mature roster even if it is a little young, so cutting ties with two of our older guys will not be a big problem.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I'd throw Kabongo in there at the 15th spot
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Lol I'm just wondering if Casey will ever put this lineup on the floor:

Lowry
                        Lou
                        Greivis
                        DD
                        James Johnson

Would be pretty funny lol

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          I'd throw Kabongo in there at the 15th spot
                          Well let's see how they do in summer league first.

Comment

This roster can create some interesting substitution patterns. I'm not a fan of wholesale substitutions. So I think the first subs would be Patterson for Amir, and GV for Ross. DD bumps to SF. Next subs would be Ross for Demar, LouWill for Lowry, with GV manning the point and JV subbed for Amir, Hayes or Bebe, maybe even TH. And then back to the starters again. This may be more accurate for playoffs I guess. Fields and maybe even Bruno could prove capable of spot minutes at SF.

I think the key here is Bebe. I know little of this kid, and it seems posters are torn whether or not he can contribute 10-15 minutes a game next season. If he can, then I like keeping Buycks (or some other 3rd string PG) as insurance in case of injury. Lou may be able to man the point as well, but I think having him on the floor with either Lowry or GV would be preferable. Another C with length would be nice if Bebe doesn't play, but I fear an injury to either Lowry or GV could stretch our guard rotation. This would be especially true if an injury was lengthy, so having another PG to give 10min a game in that event might be nice. Of course, I could say the same if there was an injury to a big man, especially JV.

Honestly, I see Lou being the odd one out here, specifically because of the success that the Lowry/GV backcourt had last season. If Lou could be turned into a decent backup C with length, I wouldn't be opposed to that trade. But correct me if I'm wrong, that can't happen until Dec. 15, correct? So at least we would have some time to see how Lou fits in and whether he would be worth trading.

*edit, I didn't even realize we had James Johnson, when did that happen? Anyways, that probably means less minutes at the 3 for Demar, meaning Lou is even more expendable IMO.
                            Last edited by JawsGT; Thu Jul 10, 2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I forget what poster said it a few days ago but our 3rd string is what our bench used to be. Our bench has at least 3 starters...we are DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEP
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X