Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

"The Raptors are shopping. They’d like to pick up another draft pick or two, but the real need is at Small Forward. Sources close to the process say the Raptors plan to make life hard on the Denver Nuggets with regards to restricted Wilson Chandler. Wilson is waiting for his clearance from China after dominating in the CBA." via Hoopshype.com

BOOOOOYA!!!! Colangelo, make it fuckin' happen!!!

Comment

Quote can be found here:
      http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

If this is true, that's outstanding. This is the first time that this rumour came from outside of RR. It is also the first time I've heard someone say that Toronto is looking for extra picks as well. Hope its true!

Comment

Via HoopsWorld.com (which is the original source of this rumour). Take anything from them with a grain of salt.

Jose Calderon/Leandro Barbosa: The Raptors are shopping. They’d like to pick up another draft pick or two, but the real need is at Small Forward.

Sources close to the process say the Raptors plan to make life hard on the Denver Nuggets with regards to restricted free agent Wilson Chandler. Wilson is waiting for his clearance from China after dominating in the CBA.

Sources say that Jose Calderon and Leandro Barbosa could be moved to land a traded player exception or smaller assets to swap with Denver in a sign and trade.

The Nuggets say they will re-sign Wilson, but with the dollars committed to Nene, Arron Afflalo and now Danilo Gallinari – Toronto may put a number on the table via a sign and trade offer that makes re-signing Chandler in Denver tough.

Denver holds the power as Wilson is a restricted free agent, but Toronto has eyes for Wilson and seems willing to pony up the dollars. They’d still need a deal, but once one team puts a crazy number on the table that’s how prices get set.

A starting small forward still sits at the top of the Raptor’s wish list, and it seems Calderon and LB are the chips they will cash to get one, so keep that in mind as other names start to shake loose.
        Source: HoopsWorld.com

Toronto, at this time, can only offer Chandler $4M. The Raptors are going to have to move some contracts in order to offer anything to Chandler that Denver would not match in a heartbeat.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Quote can be found here:
          http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

If this is true, that's outstanding. This is the first time that this rumour came from outside of RR. It is also the first time I've heard someone say that Toronto is looking for extra picks as well. Hope its true!
          I just hope they didn't get it from here!

Also, Doug Smith in his January 14th weekend blog entry talked about people in Toronto interested in him prior to the season and would still be interested in pursuing him come March. I'm too lazy to look it up right now. I posted it somewhere on RR as well a few days ago.

Comment

Here it is: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...ll-coming.html

Q: Hi Doug, I know you are loathe to speculate on potential acquisitions, but I wonder if you have an opinion on Wilson Chandler. The Nuggets will have the first crack to sign him once the Chinese season is over, but after dishing out big money to Afflalo and Nene, I wonder if they have the cash to sign him. I also read the the Nugs are in talks with Gallinari to extend him as well, further reducing the chances that Chandler will be back in Denver.

The Raps could certainly use help at the 3 and Chandler is a solid 2 way player and still relatively young. If you were Mr. Colangelo would you make him an offer?

A: Chandler’s name was one I heard kicked around briefly before the season started – there was some thought about making him an offer and seeing what Denver would do even if they couldn’t get him until March – and I would suspect he’s a guy who’d be on a list of possibilities when the summer rolls around.

I agree it’s going to be financially difficult for Denver to keep him and I wonder if he and Gallinari aren’t too much the same guy for both of them to play there.
            Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Jan 30, 2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Chandler would be a perfect fit. Plays hard of D, isn't afraid to get in anyones face, good at cutting to the basket and can make an outside shot. Is he a $10 mil a year player? This could get scary if BC is serious.

Comment

So Demar is too small to play SF but add 1 inch and 4 lbs and all of a sudden your legit? I dont get it...

Having not seen much of W. Chandler, is he really THAT big of an upgrade over JJ/Kleiza? All of the reports I have read have said "finding his mid-range game" and " struggles from deep."

I hope all the hype isnt based on that game where he wasted us with 30+...

The biggest statistical differences seem to be height, weight and Minutes played.

And now we would have Chandler/JJ/ Kleiza/Butler/Forbes. Pair that with the overload at the 4 spot and there isnt a whole lot of minutes to go around.

Now on the other hand if it means Butler nevers sees the floor ever again. Sign me up.

Comment

SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
                  So Demar is too small to play SF but add 1 inch and 4 lbs and all of a sudden your legit? I dont get it...

Having not seen much of W. Chandler, is he really THAT big of an upgrade over JJ/Kleiza? All of the reports I have read have said "finding his mid-range game" and " struggles from deep."

The biggest statistical differences seem to be height, weight and Minutes played.

And now we would have Chandler/JJ/ Kleiza/Butler/Forbes. Pair that with the overload at the 4 spot and there isnt a whole lot of minutes to go around.

Now on the other hand if it means Butler nevers sees the floor ever again. Sign me up.
                  Chandler is one of those Shawn Marion, jack-of-all-trades type of players. He can consistently put up 15pts, 6rebs, 2asts, 1stl and 1blk, on 45%, 35% and 80% shooting. And he's a solid defender too. He'd be an instant upgrade over anyone we currently have at SF.

We can amnesty Kleiza (or trade him), JJ backs up Chandler, and Forbes is in street clothes most nights. Works for me.

Comment

It's less about DeMar's height and weight, and more about his lack of strength and defensive IQ that makes him a poor choice at SF.

Comment

He doesn't struggle from deep... In his last year with the Knicks/Nuggets he shot 35% from 3.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Chandler is one of those Shawn Marion, jack-of-all-trades type of players. He can consistently put up 15pts, 6rebs, 2asts, 1stl and 1blk, on 45%, 35% and 80% shooting. And he's a solid defender too. He'd be an instant upgrade over anyone we currently have at SF.

We can amnesty Kleiza (or trade him), JJ backs up Chandler, and Forbes is in street clothes most nights. Works for me.
                        Those numbers are with D'Antoni ... he could be a big disappointment. If he would have above average career threepointshooting the gamble might not be that high, but he is a below average threepointshooter. D'Antoni has (before this year) always been a great fantasy coach who would get better stats out of his players. I really don't know why people are all over Chandler knowing he's from the D'Antoni stat-padding group. You want a good contract? Make sure you play for D'Antoni! If we are going to pay him over 6 mil. a year (and we probably will need to) we have a good chance to have another bad contract on our hands.

Comment

Chandler is versatile. JJ and Kleiza are 3's who can play 4. Chandler is a 3 who can play 2 as well and guard 2, 3, and 4's.

He came in to the league based soley on his athleticism and defense. He worked his tail off to develop an offensive game.

I would very much love Wilson Chandler in Toronto if for no other reason that it would give a solid rotational player on a contract that could be used to obtain a top talent on another team OR could allow the Raptors an opportunity to trade current Raptors with a replacement already in place (yes, I am hinting at DeMar).

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            Those numbers are with D'Antoni ... he could be a big disappointment. If he would have above average career threepointshooting the gamble might not be that high, but he is a below average threepointshooter. D'Antoni has (before this year) always been a great fantasy coach who would get better stats out of his players. I really don't know why people are all over Chandler knowing he's from the D'Antoni stat-padding group. You want a good contract? Make sure you play for D'Antoni! If we are going to pay him over 6 mil. a year (and we probably will need to) we have a good chance to have another bad contract on our hands.
                            Sure, the stats might be a bit inflated, but the guy's still got serious game. Do you see James Johnson putting up those numbers under D'Antoni? The point is that Chandler would still be a massive upgrade over anyone we currently have at SF. And at $6m+ per year, he'd be plenty worth it in my books. I would much rather see Colangelo go after Chandler than Batum.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              His offensive numbers might drop I'll give you that, which they did in Denver. Part of it was trying to find himself and fit in no doubt after what was a disgusting 2 month farce forever known as the MeloDrama.

However.....

His defense has always been stellar and it actually improved in Denver based on OppPER. Also his win share was a very respectable 59% in New York and went up to 70% in Denver.

I would be very happy with a Chandler signing if his ankle issues are a thing of the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X