Buycks, Stone or Kabongo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buycks, Stone or Kabongo?

SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Spurs waived veteran forward Corey Maggette, center Marcus Cousin and guard Myck Kabongo on Tuesday.

Maggette appeared in two preseason games, averaging 6.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 24.0 minutes.

Cousin appeared in two preseason games, averaging 1.5 points and 2.0 rebounds. Kabongo finished with six points in five minutes at Denver on Oct. 14.

Source
    Myck Kabongo is a free man ... having seen a few Preseason games from Julian Stone and Buycks... who would you rather have as your 3rd String?

I personally haven't been blown away by either Buycks or Stone ... but Kabongo hasn't done anything to make me think he'd be any better... still, I've wanted Kabongo since his Senior Year in HS... so I'd take him over our other 3rd string options.

If Stone winds up making the team as the 15th man on the roster, that's suddenly a lot of competition for the 3rd and possibly backup PG spot(s). Given that they'd all likely be on 1-year contracts, I like that approach. It also speaks more to rebuilding than competing to me, but that's another conversation (although it would be intersting to see how the PG spot is managed if the team starts the season on fire and looks to be a sure-fire playoff team).

Gun to my head, I probably go with Stone, thinking more for the long-term. I'd rather give him time to develop ahead of both Buycks and Augustin, given his age, size and defensive prowess.

Comment

6'7 PG that plays good defence, long arms. Can guard 1,2 and the 3.

Give me Stone over any of those guys any day of the week.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Choosing Stone over Chris Wright for the 15th slot is basically a big neon sign saying WE'RE TRADING LOWRY because there is no reason at all to have four point guards on one team, even if two of them are projects and one is bad.

Choosing Myck Kabongo over either is choosing to ignore the fact that Kabongo just needs a lot of seasoning and to work on his jumper. He may never be NBA-ready, but if he ever will be, he needs some D-league time first.

Comment

I like different aspects about Buycks and Stone. But I also think given Stone's size it's easy enough to have them both on the roster as Stone can play as a depth SG or SF.

I was really big on Kabongo for a long time...but it looks like he's got a long way to go to be NBA ready.

Comment

Kabongo played last night for the Spurs.

Comment

Kabongo has gotta go to China poor guy I mean if SA cant develop you arguably the best trained palyers in the league you are in trouble!

Best of luck Kabongo! to say hes had a terrible year would be generous at this point.

Comment

I think Kabongo might be better served by going to Europe than d-league. Going to the d-league is okay if he's signed by an NBA team and then placed there; at least then he's got NBA-level coaches telling him what he needs to develop. So much of the d-league is guys without NBA contracts trying to get noticed, and it's good for guys who know what they need to work on, but just need a little more experience. Kabongo has some fundamental weaknesses in his game, and needs to go play in a distraction-free environment for a couple years. A bit of the well-rounded euro-guard style would look good on him and compliment his already developed passing skills.

I'd rather have Stone than Buycks as the third PG. Shuttle Buycks between the Raptors and d-league as injuries dictate, keep Stone on the roster for his versatility and defence so that Casey can put out his two PG unit without them getting torched.

Comment

Stone.

A lot of talk about 4 PGs but they all have diverse skill sets and physical attributes.

Plus there is always a possibility Lowry is traded.

Comment

I'd go with Buycks. For all the talk about Stone being able to guard multiple positions there is no mention of how he plays at PG. Atleast we know Buycks can score some what and was able to distribute well even though it was just in summer league. I'm hoping with more time his PG skills will show a bit more as he adapts to the NBA pace. I haven't seem much from Stone at all in preseason, but primarily because he hasn't been given much time.

I'd love to see Kabongo at training camp after a couple of years in Europe sharpening his game. Clearly he is not ready.

Comment

Every time Stone has played he has been a factor with his defense its quite uncanny actually. He shut down Augustine. His skills running the offense are limited but I can see a line up of small ball with some offensive weapons beside him being interesting!

That being said though Im a Buycks fan Augustine will be an after thought soon enough.

Comment

Buycks is an actual competent guard. He has some red flags but if we're talking strictly skills he wins. Stone is interesting, he can guard the 1,2,and 3. Kabongo needs lots of seasoning.

Hopefully Kabongo catches on in China or Europe and gets the minutes he needs.
                        Stone vs. Wright I pick Stone, especially with the unsteady play of T Ross (maybe he can challenge him)
                        Buycks looks like a future backup who will play a number of years in the NBA

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                          Buycks is an actual competent guard. He has some red flags but if we're talking strictly skills he wins. Stone is interesting, he can guard the 1,2,and 3. Kabongo needs lots of seasoning.

Hopefully Kabongo catches on in China or Europe and gets the minutes he needs.
                          Stone vs. Wright I pick Stone, especially with the unsteady play of T Ross (maybe he can challenge him)
                          Buycks looks like a future backup who will play a number of years in the NBA
                          What red flags?
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

This a tough questions. It comes down to Buycks and Stone. Kabongo shouldn't even be in the discussion lost hope in him in summer league. I think it comes down to what you have on your team. If our team was full of shooters I'd go with Stone. Guards 3 position. Really good rebounder for position. Also he takes care of the ball he was the best PG in assist turnover ratio in his draft class(2011).

I feel Buycks is the best fit for this team. He has a potential to be a better passer compared to Stone who I feel never be an decent scorer. Buycks is a year younger. He came out of Marquette. That's school has a great track record for players in the league. Especially for diamond in the rough player(Jimmy Butler, Jay Crowder, Steve Novak, Wesley Matthews).
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think its pretty much set in 'Stone' on who will capture the final roster spot for the Raps

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/14...n-set-in-stone

Looks like Stone is impressing not just the coaches but also his teammates.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                              X