• Hornets changing name to...

The Pelicans. http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...me_To_Pelicans

Their undergarments are going to be referred to as "the pelican briefs."

Comment

Doesn't really roll off the tongue..

Comment

Oof.

Comment

For what reason exactly does the 'Hornets' need a change?
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            The new owner wants a new name. Plus I think Charlotte wants 'Hornets' back

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              Owner didn't feel it had any connection to the city and state. Thus the team is now named after the state bird, which is also on the flag. Personally I would've picked to name them the New Orleans Hurricanes.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                Owner didn't feel it had any connection to the city and state. Thus the team is now named after the state bird, which is also on the flag. Personally I would've picked to name them the New Orleans Hurricanes.
                I'm not sure how that would go over with the community. I could see many being uncomfortable. Although Hurricanes would be much better than Pelicans in my opinion. That is just not a good name for a professional sports team.

Comment

New Orleans Hornets spokesman Greg Bensel denied a Yahoo! Sports report that owner Tom Benson plans to change the nickname of his NBA franchise from the Hornets to Pelicans.

"We’re not confirming that is the name,’’ Bensel said. "This is a process that’s ongoing and still in discussions. And it will be eventually decided by the NBA.’’

Benson, though, is actively pushing for a name change and he has owned the rights to the Pelican nickname for years. In an interview on Fox Sports Television, Gayle Benson, Tom’s wife, said she wants to change the team’s colors to navy blue, red and gold.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ot_confir.html
                  Best way to get people's reaction is to leak a story. I hope this is what is going on here. No offense to Pelicans but not a great name for a pro ball team.

Comment

Utah should be forced to give up their name, and then NO should take it back. Pelicans is a horrible name. If I was a fan of the team I'd be outraged.

Comment

Do not never ever complain about Raptors name after this one.
                      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                        Do not never ever complain about Raptors name after this one.
                        I totally feel like a guy in another city must have felt back when they announced that Toronto's team would be the "Raptors"

Feels good to be on the other side of the window

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          I totally feel like a guy in another city must have felt back when they announced that Toronto's team would be the "Raptors"

Feels good to be on the other side of the window
                          They've got a video on NBA.com of Rick Fox and Sam Mitchell just having a big ol' laugh about this. I really can't imagine they're going to follow through with this name ... its a marketing nightmare!!

Comment

I this this might be fan made, but this is pretty sweet looking:

Not a fan of the name though.

Comment

Ya, thats kinda cool ...

Name still stinks though.

Comment

Working...
                              X