No announcement yet.

How big a fan are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably an 8. I started following in 2007, I used to be a diehard Lakers fan (I cried my eyes becasue they lost in the playoffs in 97-98) but when they traded Shaq and picked up arch nemesis Karl Malone I couldn't watch anymore. I'm a big fan of Malone's game, but at the time he was the enemy...fucking Jazz. Anyway, I took a year or two away from basketball then got back in when I happened to turn on a Raptors game in 2006 and found out that we had magically gotten the first overall pick and were on route to winning our division. I got hooked on the Canadian thing and have followed fanatically ever since.

I have two things that lower my fandom though:

1. I don't live in Toronto and have only ever seen one game in person.
    2. I completely missed the whole Vince Carter era.

On a watching and current knowledge basis though, 9 or 10.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Is it just me, or does this feel like your self evaluation you gotta do at work? Haha

I gave myself a Grade of 9/10. Been a fan since literally Day-1, and have never looked back. There were years when my social life suffered due to Raptors games on Fridays and Saturdays.. but totally worth it. Haha Now I'll miss a game here and there if the girlfriend wants to watch Bachelor or something, but PVR it and stay up til 1230 watching.

I think anyone who joins a Raptors Forum deserves a couple points on the scale just for wanting to participate in this never ending discussion.

Oh, and tuning in at 2am from Overseas? That gets an instant 9 or 10 in my books. Haha

Comment

I'd say I'm a 9. I miss the odd game here and there, but I did stick it through all the ugly years, and I can easily remember the likes of Carlos Rogers, Lamond Murray, Yogi Stewart, and Oliver Miller. The Raptors have been the team I pay the most attention to (in any sport) since inception.

Comment

Wow...I'm the only dick arrogant enough to give myself a 10?

Seriously though, going with Joey Hesketh's last line....I'm currently living 5-6 hours ahead of Toronto time (in the Netherlands)...I'm not sure I've missed a game all season, including even last week's "playing for nothing" west coast trip. Nothing like staying up for a 4:30 am tip off against the Lakers. Normally I might have to give myself a 9, but giving myself extra point for...devotion? insanity? for something, anyway...

Comment

I gave myself a two

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I gave myself a two
              your 11,652 posts in a raptors message board automatically give you a 5. then your previous experience as a mod on the board, bumps you up another 2. your unwavering love of bargnani, bumps you up another 1. then add your previously stated 2.

you're a 10

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Seriously though, going with Joey Hesketh's last line....I'm currently living 5-6 hours ahead of Toronto time (in the Netherlands)...I'm not sure I've missed a game all season, including even last week's "playing for nothing" west coast trip. Nothing like staying up for a 4:30 am tip off against the Lakers. Normally I might have to give myself a 9, but giving myself extra point for...devotion? insanity? for something, anyway...
                You definitely deserve a 10.
                Ive already missed 1 game this season, and I live a few hours behind Toronto... Meaning my games usually end at 6:30-10:30 at most!
                Devotion man, you deserve a round of applause.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I gave myself a two
                  As I said, we need a better definition of what it means to be a fan. I hate this team as it is, but I love the team. Does that make sense? Matt, I think you're a 10 on franchise and a 2 on team. I put myself as 10 and 7, but if by 7 it means this actual team as in the 15 players that make up this team, then I'm probably at a 3.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I'd say I'm a 9. I miss the odd game here and there, but I did stick it through all the ugly years, and I can easily remember the likes of Carlos Rogers, Lamond Murray, Yogi Stewart, and Oliver Miller. The Raptors have been the team I pay the most attention to (in any sport) since inception.
                    Oliver Miller was the man. Even though he was slow, out of shape and not very talented, he was my favourite Rap big man until Bosh. Another oldies throw-back I loved was Walt Williams. "The Wizard" rocked the high socks and drilled the treys!! In fact, I still love the Wizard. Mo Pete is my all-time fav though and great value for a late pick.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I voted 9.

I've watched the Raptors since they came into the league and watch nearly every game (when my wife drags me out I'm on the phone constantly, checking scores and boxscore stats). From the time I was a kid I enjoyed being the GM/coach in sports video games as much or more as playing them, so I'm sure I've always known the team's roster, draft prospects, cap situation, rumors, etc... far better than is healthy to. lol

The only reason I didn't give myself a 10 is because despite how passionate a fan I am, I don't think of the Raptors as "my" team and don't refer to the franchise as "we" or "us". I don't let the team take an emotional toll on me because, at the end of the day, it's still just a sport and I'm still just an outside observer. Though if BC would like to add another assistant GM...

Comment

Perhaps a better way to evaluate your fandom is ask yourself how angry you get.

For example, when the Raptors blow a 4th quarter lead and lose the game -- even a casual fan would be disappointed.

Here's a few examples -- ask yourself whether it makes you angry. If it doesn't, then perhaps you're not as big a fan of the team as you thought.

JV rides the pine for an entire 4th quarter with only 3 fouls and he's had a good game otherwise. Angry? Y or N
                        When Alan Anderson plays the entire game whilst shooting 1 for 14. Angry? Y or N
                        When someone says Bargnani had a good game because he scored 24 points on 24 shots with 0 rebounds. Angry? Y or N
                        When someone says DeRozan deserved that contract. Angry? Y or N
                        When Ed Davis has another big game for Memphis. Angry? Y or N
                        When we blow a 4th quarter lead. Angry? Y or N
                        When someone says "Ben Uzoh". Angry? Y or N
                        Casey benches a red-hot player and subs him for an ice-cold player. Angry? Y or N
                        You find a blog or a forum post defending Andrea Bargnani? Angry? Y or N
                        When you see the team's payroll. Angry? Y or N
                        When Colangelo gets an extension. Angry? Y or N
                        Vince Carter visit. Angry? Y or N

If you answered Y to most of these, you're a big fan. If you didn't, then you're not.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

+ 2 GMT in Netherlands? Or they have European time installed?
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post

For example, when the Raptors blow a 4th quarter lead and lose the game -- even a casual fan would be disappointed.

Here's a few examples -- ask yourself whether it makes you angry. If it doesn't, then perhaps you're not as big a fan of the team as you thought.

JV rides the pine for an entire 4th quarter with only 3 fouls and he's had a good game otherwise. Angry? Y or N
                            When Alan Anderson plays the entire game whilst shooting 1 for 14. Angry? Y or N
                            When someone says Bargnani had a good game because he scored 24 points on 24 shots with 0 rebounds. Angry? Y or N
                            Casey benches a red-hot player and subs him for an ice-cold player. Angry? Y or N

If you answered Y to most of these, you're a big fan. If you didn't, then you're not.
                            I couldn't disagree more. For the record, I only had 5 "Y" answers.

2 about Bargnani - I'm expecting him to be moved in the offseason and, as a past Bargnani supporter, I am totally fine (or even happy) with that. If you actually get angry over those two Bargnani-related events, I think you're making it personal. He's 1 of 15 players on a team in a team sport, who's playing time and role is determined by the coaching staff, after being drafted where he was and paid what he is because of the GM.

I am happy to see Davis playing well and would have preferred him to be kept, but I'm happy with Gay and understand that you need to giveup talent to get talent.

Uzoh - are you supposed to be mad at the mention of his name over costing us better draft positioning, or mad that he wasn't re-signed? Uzoh is nothing more than a footnote in the history of the Raptors.

Payroll - nothing is finite and payroll can easily be changed, so angry today could be happy tomorrow. Anger only comes from what payroll is used for or what it prevents the team from doing. Again, not sure how you could get angry over a number at a point in time.

Carter - should we be angry because he was traded? angry how he left? angry at fans for booing? Again, the sport is a business and I find it mind-boggling how so many Raptors fans can still have such emotion invested in an ex-Raptor, who never achieved any success greater than what he achieved in Toronto.

I suppose this just illustrates the fact that 'fan' is so subjective, especially when trying to determine degrees of 'fandom'.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Mar 11, 2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post

lol, imo, if you answer Y to most of these, you have an anger management problem, take a sport you don't make any $ at too seriously, and take your understanding of what is involved in managing/coaching an NBA team too seriously.

Comment

I really meant it more as a joke post, but if NONE of them make you angry, you don't care as much as you think you do. I don't have anger management issues.

Does anyone follow the Leafs? There's gotta be a similar list, make one up and ask me. I'm sure I'll answer N to all of them. I'm not a big fan, although I will watch almost any game that is on television and I'll be disappointed if they lose the game.

By contrast, I'd give myself a 10 for Raptors franchise and 3 for Leafs franchise. 0 for Blue Jays. All 3 I'll watch a game if it's on TV and I'll be disappointed if we lose.
                                Last edited by ebrian; Mon Mar 11, 2013, 02:33 PM.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X