Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Amir a top 15 power forward in the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carmelo anthony has started at power forward for the knicks all season. does he qualify?

he is better than amir johnson.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
      carmelo anthony has started at power forward for the knicks all season. does he qualify?

he is better than amir johnson.
      Doesn't mean he's naturally a power forward. There's really no question Carmelo is a small forward, so let's get that out the way.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

why is there "no question?"

the knicks discovered last year that they were way more effective with him at the four, and as a three alongside amare and chandler the narrative was all about how disappointing that team is. nuggets used him a lot at the four too.

Comment

he also played PF in college and is one inch shorter and 20 pounds heavier than amir

Comment

why is there "no question?"

the knicks discovered last year that they were way more effective with him at the four, and as a three alongside amare and chandler the narrative was all about how disappointing that team is. nuggets used him a lot at the four too.
            Because he's a small forward, not a power forward, nor a tweener. It's just what he is. It might be more effective for the team, great, that means their entire lineup is unnatural going with "small ball". Instead of the typical 1 guard, 2 wings, 2 bigs, it's 1 guard, 3 wings, 1 big.

Comment

he also played PF in college and is one inch shorter and 20 pounds heavier than amir
              Height and weight has nothing to do with it. Landry Fields plays spot minutes at the 4, and was most effective at that position. He's 6'7, about 220. Does that make him a power forward (who also played power forward at Stanford)?

Comment

that's just your perception and i think it's a little silly to state so unequivocally given the direction the league is headed.

he guards fours and fours guard him. he used to guard threes but now he doesn't, and he's never been better. in 2012-2013, he is a power forward.

Comment

Landry Fields is a SF. There really is no argument here.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    He's actually a shooting guard. Came into the league one, played power forward in University. That's where my argument comes from, fours guard him, he guards fours. Why? Because he's plugged in the position and has to take those responsibilities. His overall game on any other team is typically translated as a small forward. Sure, small ball, international play, college, this guy can play the power forward, but in the NBA, his game is better suited as a small forward. Maybe him at the 4 position is better suited for the TEAM? Sure, it's just not his natural position.

You can make the same argument for Durant, but he is a small forward. It's just what it is. Durant plays spot minutes at the 4, but he is a small forward. Durant can play at the four, he could likely play at the 4, etc, etc, etc. It's just his natural position.

Comment

that's just your perception and i think it's a little silly to state so unequivocally given the direction the league is headed.

he guards fours and fours guard him. he used to guard threes but now he doesn't, and he's never been better. in 2012-2013, he is a power forward.
                      lol okay, but in NBA basketball he is a small forward.

Comment

i love amir johnson's game...he definitely is under-appreciated..i do think he slips in the top 15 power forwards...but easily top three in energy...and u dont have to be a raptors fan to know that...amir johnson is a pest for other teams...he sets screens well, he is a great rebounder, he even developed a shot...what will take amir to the next level is if he works on his post moves, perfect his jumper and foul less...when he is on the court he does create problems for other teams..the problem is he needs to become smarter with fouling...i will never hate aggressive d...but there are times where he should use his i.q to stay in the game...n e ways im happy he is our team. go raps!

Comment

Amir Johnson: 4 questions, 4 answers.

1) Is he a top 15 PF? I say no.

2) Is he the raptors most talented player? Again I say no.

3) Should he be the captain of the Raptors? I say yes.

4) Can a team win the conference finals with Amir as their starting PF or Center, I say yes.

Questions 4 is more important than question 1&2.

Amir is turning out to be a big plus defensively, and has developed a really effective offensive game, for the first time this season he's shown the he has the ability of nice big to big passes. He's still really young and hasn't hit his ceiling, although he may be getting very close. The more I see of him, the more I think it'll be harder to get someone who is more effective to start in front of him.

I think Amir and JV could be a scary frontcourt to deal with, both defensively AND offensively, even though both don't need a lot of offensive touches to be effective.

Even if we don't get anything more out of Gay, Derozan, or Amir, if Lowry plays a little better, and JV improves incrementally, this team could be looking at a 5th-6th seed. And that's assuming bargs can't be traded and has to come in off the bench (or he starts games but Amir+JV Finishes them). Unless there's trade that blows the team up, or some really serious injuries I can't see the raps NOT making the playoffs next year.
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                            Not to stick my nose in a thread derrailling 'what position does Landry Fields play' debate, but it should be rather obvious.

1% of minutes at SG
                            19% of minutes at SF
                            1% of minutes at PF

(based on available minutes to play)

As a % of minutes he's played (approx.)

5% at SG
                            90% at SF
                            5% at PF

Fields is a SF

Comment

I've been saying all along that we should keep Amir and trade Davis. Glad it worked out that way.

But Amir isn't the offensive threat we need in the low post. I'd like to see someone down there with enough offensive skill to draw double-teams on every possession (i.e. the way Bosh used to). If Jonas can turn into that player, then I have no problem starting Amir. If not, Amir is the perfect "first big off the bench".

But whether Amir's starting or not, he deserves ~30mpg.

Comment

Amir would be an above average backup PF / 3rd big. However, I think he'a a borderline starter at best.

The biggest problem for me is that he's not nearly the scoring threat that the true star PFs are. He gets a few P&R baskets, a few garbage baskets and will hit a few jump shots, but he's not enough of a scorer to demand double-teams and isn't a good enough all-around player to run the offense through (the way the Raps used to run it through Bosh). Basically, despite some impressive advanced stats, he doesn't really do anything to open the floor up for Gay, DeRozan and Lowry.

I would like a traditional low-post PF who will make the entire team's offense better, allowing Amir to feast on the opposition's 2nd unit as the team's 3rd big.
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X