Raptors Expected To Pursue Carl Landry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't think the idea would be to improve over Johnson....I think, that again if a trade is not possible to get a true upgrade, Landry affords at least the same kind of different look they'd want in that upgrade: A more offensive oriented player who can score a bit in the post. Obviously guys like West, Boozer, Gasol are all better players, but there have to be non-trade options to fall back on. Landry is a pretty solid fallback position if they fail to get someone else but can get him.
    Fair enough. Assuming Bargnani is traded and no better options present themeselves, Landry is obviously much better than the only other PF left on the roster - Acy!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Bargnani sign and trade could be an option. GSW have been rumoured to have interest in the past.
      The cost of such a deal would probably be taking back Biedrins/Jefferson....GSW seems to be very tax-fearing. I think that will be the biggest factor in whether they would do a sign and trade...doubt they care too much about getting something back if it would kill their cap, and so will only do so if it improves their situation.

And Landry has a player option....so while a sign and trade is a possibility, it is not an option Toronto or Landry would need to pursue unless he wants more than the MLE, which he isn't worth. I would think just offer him a 2 year deal for 10 million or something.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        Im not sure what i should think about this.
        I just looked at Landry's game logs and he's pretty much like Amir.
        If they do pursue him, does it mean theyre sticking with Amir as a starter? Yikes.

I was hoping they go after either Boozer or David West.
        How the heck do you see us landing David West?
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          S&T would be the only viable option, similar to Millsap.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Bargnani sign and trade could be an option. GSW have been rumoured to have interest in the past.
            I'm not sure they can do a sign-and-trade with Landry. My understanding is that because he signed there as a free agent last offseason, they won't even have early bird rights to him unless he picks up his option and stays for another year. Without any sort of bird rights, they can't go over the cap to sign him, even in a sign-and-trade scenario. A team can't use their MLE or mini-MLE to sign a player that they intend to move in a sign-and-trade. And they're well over the cap now with no chance of getting under it unless Biedrins and and Jefferson don't pick up their options. So unless I'm missing something (and it's totally possible I am), I don't see how GSW can sign-and-trade him.

Comment

Im not sure what i should think about this.
              I just looked at Landry's game logs and he's pretty much like Amir.
              If they do pursue him, does it mean theyre sticking with Amir as a starter? Yikes.

I was hoping they go after either Boozer or David West.
              Why anyone would consider trading Amir or suggest he can't cut it is beyond me. Anyone who watches every game knows what the deal is.

Comment

why would anyone want either boozer or west in our team?....want to see how players decline after their prime?

Comment

blz wrote: View Post
                  why would anyone want either boozer or west in our team?....want to see how players decline after their prime?
                  I don't know...I understand what you mean, but this Raptors team could really use one or two key vets (as in not just guys with experience, but guys with big game experience who have a couple of good years left). I mean, out of our core, the most "veteran" players we have will be Amir, Gay and Lowry....the team definitely lacks some kind of veteran presence.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I dont know, but i asked the same question before Gay came to Toronto.

Comment

blz wrote: View Post
                      Have you seen any chicago or indiana games this season? Do these two look like theyre significantly declining?

Of course every player slows down with age but surely you dont expect that if the Raps acquire either of these two next season, that from 15/9 and 18/8 theyll decline to 5/5 within the next 2 or 3 seasons, or are you? If yes then you do have a point. But IMO, highly unlikely.

And the good thing is these two are playing between 31-33 mins this season, which gives their next teams a bit of a break since their not as heavy minute guys as they used to be.
                      Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Hmm, so if we were to sign and trade for Landry and we gave up a package built around Bargnani, we would have to take on a contract like Biedrins too? I would not really be against something like that seeing that his last season with that contract is 2013-2014, and he is a 9 mil expiring contract. And, for that one season, he would back up JV...or maybe back up Gray...

Comment

Sprechen wrote: View Post
                          Why anyone would consider trading Amir or suggest he can't cut it is beyond me. Anyone who watches every game knows what the deal is.
                          I'm not in favor of trading Amir, i'd want the Raptors to get a starting PF and let Amir back him up.

But if the Raps are indeed pursuing Landry, then they possibly might trade Amir since Landry makes him redundant, specially with his contract.

Comment

I'm not in favor of trading Amir, i'd want the Raptors to get a starting PF and let Amir back him up.

But if the Raps are indeed pursuing Landry, then they possibly might trade Amir since Landry makes him redundant, specially with his contract.
                            Amir and Landry are not similar players, at all....they both fit in the same place in a pecking order, but have different skill sets. If you can't get an upgraded starter, not bad to have 2 borderline starters with different abilities. Their contracts would still add up to less than what Boozer will be making, to take one example. And the production would only be slightly less, with Landry actually scoring from pretty similar spots as Boozer.

Comment

Landry as a backup 4, yeah i wouldn't mind. But as a starter? NO WAY!
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

First Johnson and now Landry. Is Bryan trying to fill a team with similar names?

I bet he will offer him Kleiza money. 4 years / 18.8M is what Kleiza got. Landry will be looking for a long term deal for that kind of money.. and Bryan won't hesitate.

Comment

Working...
                                X