Welcome to your 2013/2014 Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    That is not an option, as you cannot trade your draft pick 2 seasons in a row. If we don't get top 3 pick this year, then we are trading our 2013 first round pick to OKC, and therefore cannot trade our 2014 first round pick. We could trade the 2015 first round pick, so just swap that into your reasoning and it makes sense rules wise.

I'm still hoping for a Bargs to Charlotte for Ben Gordon and a first round pick (Charlotte has several this year). We take on more salary for a season but we get a good shooter and a draft pick. Charlotte gets their starting PF and now they don't have to overpay Mullens, who is a poor mans Bargs.
    Actually they can trade the 2014 pick, but only after the 2013 draft is over. The "can't trade 2 picks in a row" is only for future drafts not drafts that already took place. Once the 2013 draft is over, they can trade the 2014 pick since the 2015 pick is still available.. if they traded the 2015 pick then neither the 2014 or 2016 could be traded.

Larry Coon made that clear in one of his chats last summer I believe.

And Bargnani is an already overpaid Mullens (but Mullens can actually rebound).. so I don't think they would want him very badly.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      Actually they can trade the 2014 pick, but only after the 2013 draft is over. The "can't trade 2 picks in a row" is only for future drafts not drafts that already took place. Once the 2013 draft is over, they can trade the 2014 pick since the 2015 pick is still available.. if they traded the 2015 pick then neither the 2014 or 2016 could be traded.

And Bargnani is an already overpaid Mullens (but Mullens can actually rebound).. so I don't think they would want him very badly.
      I really do not think you're right there. It's called the Ted Stepien rule. It's about whether the team actually drafted or not. If we don't draft a first round pick in 2013, we must draft a first round pick in 2014. Doesn't matter if it's our pick, or one we traded for, but you cannot fail to draft a first round pick two drafts in a row.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/2...umors-deadline

Comment

That is not an option, as you cannot trade your draft pick 2 seasons in a row. If we don't get top 3 pick this year, then we are trading our 2013 first round pick to OKC, and therefore cannot trade our 2014 first round pick. We could trade the 2015 first round pick, so just swap that into your reasoning and it makes sense rules wise.

I'm still hoping for a Bargs to Charlotte for Ben Gordon and a first round pick (Charlotte has several this year). We take on more salary for a season but we get a good shooter and a draft pick. Charlotte gets their starting PF and now they don't have to overpay Mullens, who is a poor mans Bargs.
        The 2014 pick is available after July 1st, 2013.

Picks cannot be traded in consecutive years in forward years only.

July 1st resets the clock.

Charlotte's extra picks are top 14 protected (Detroit) and top 12 protected (Portland) this year.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Yes. You are correct but not after the draft, July 1st.

I can't remember if it was on Twitter or HW.com chat but I asked that question.

Comment

I really do not think you're right there. It's called the Ted Stepien rule. It's about whether the team actually drafted or not. If we don't draft a first round pick in 2013, we must draft a first round pick in 2014. Doesn't matter if it's our pick, or one we traded for, but you cannot fail to draft a first round pick two drafts in a row.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/2...umors-deadline
            Scratch that, read up so more and it appears you're correct. They could trade the 2014 pick after the 2013 draft. They could trade the 2015 pick after the lottery if they wanted since we'd know if we have a 2013 pick or not.

I really can't see BC trading away any more first rounders anytime soon though, not with this new CBA. You need contributing players on rookie scale deals, especially when you owe Rudy Gay $19.3M in 2014/15, roughly 1/3rd of the salary cap.

Comment

Working...
            X