Welcome to your 2013/2014 Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to your 2013/2014 Toronto Raptors

In some sense, the next 18 games just got a bit more interesting. Barring a major trade (always possible in Colangoworld), this is as good as it gets. Lowry is our starting pg next year, DD is the 2, Gay is the 3 and JV is the 5. The general wish list is that we'd like some depth with a post presence at the 4 but the reality is, whoever we get will only be marginally better than Amir. So there's some tweaking with the back up PG ahead, maybe some depth at the 5 but other than that, this is your team for next year. Assuming Gay's back holds up, this should give us a pretty good preview. I hope they're better than pretty good.

Well we are at the very least looking at the core I was going to watch the games anyway you know #GoRaps #DieHardRapFan etc etc Hashtaggy Tag Tag. God forgive me but Im happy Bargs is hurt, Quincy acy is being Recalled but probably wont be available for tonight.

Comment

Still not sure about Lowry as the pg of the future

Comment

well said

qb5PHILA@hotmail.com wrote: View Post
        Still not sure about Lowry as the pg of the future
        i understand kyle lowry wants to be more a ball distributor now that jose is gone...but he tries to hard to be something he is not...where are those triple double like numbers when it was early in the season and while he was in houston...no disrespect to lowry..but he is no starter in this league...and thats straight up

Comment

i mean i watched lowry..sure he has passion..and he is a dog a warrior and all that...but he has no idea and i mean no idea how to run a pick and roll offense..which is where our offense thrived to be third in ball control this season when jose was running...i mean lowry's d is good but not that good...jose would have been a difference maker with rudy on the team....sure he is a liablity on defense....but he did improve...plus he had size for a pg and also one of the best shots in the nba when he goes off the screen...pick n pop machine...however i know the chances of even jose wanting to come back is slim to none...but if we want to improve as a club...number one choice is find another pg...use lowry as a backup...or place dwane as an assistant...cuz he is lookin terrible as a head coach

Comment

So long as DD, Amir, Ross and Valanciunas play, i'll be content. Hopefully Acy gets 10 minutes a night as well.

Comment

elarmthecity wrote: View Post
              i understand kyle lowry wants to be more a ball distributor now that jose is gone...but he tries to hard to be something he is not...where are those triple double like numbers when it was early in the season and while he was in houston...no disrespect to lowry..but he is no starter in this league...and thats straight up
              I've understandably had my doubts about Kyle Lowry but I wouldn't say he's not a starter. He's at least in the top 20 of point guards in the league, and I don't think you can just base that on stats alone. There's been too much turnover and sweeping changes on this team. We've definitely seen what he's capable of but it's a small handful of games he's done it in. They need to sit down in the offseason and decide what kind of team they want to be, and define the roles for each player.

But you're right from the big picture, this is your team for next year.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

I think they should be spending the rest of this season trying to figure out the best way to use the following players when they are on the court together: Val, DD, Gay, Lowry, Amir....Fields off the bench. This is the core moving forward regardless of your opinions of them. We have to find a way to get some efficiency out of them.

The isolation offence is embarrassing. This group needs to get comfortable with each other, and needs to find a way to play as a team. For the love of all that is good, lets hope that this group gets a chance to play together for a while so they can develop chemistry and learn to play together.
                Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                  I think they should be spending the rest of this season trying to figure out the best way to use the following players when they are on the court together: Val, DD, Gay, Lowry, Amir....Fields off the bench. This is the core moving forward regardless of your opinions of them. We have to find a way to get some efficiency out of them.

The isolation offence is embarrassing. This group needs to get comfortable with each other, and needs to find a way to play as a team. For the love of all that is good, lets hope that this group gets a chance to play together for a while so they can develop chemistry and learn to play together.
                  I completely agree with you, although you forgot Ross. I think it's safe to say that, barring a trade, the primary 7-man rotation is set: Valanciunas, Johnson, Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Fields and Ross. I would even add Telfair to that list if he's at all under serious consideration for the backup PG spot next season.

If this is our primary 8-man rotation entering next season, I won't be a very happy fan!
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

This thread is incredibly depressing.

Welcome to Raptorland, where the best case scenario, if everything goes perfectly and everyone overperforms expectations, is..........................................8th place! Jebus.

Comment

Definitely way premature to be speculating on what the team will look like next year. You have to assume Bargs will be moved and that means other players could be packaged with him, or moved separately. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bargs for Ben Gordon swap in the offseason, with a draft pick coming to Toronto as well. We're also rumored to be pursuing Carl Landry. So say we add Gordon, Landry, and a 1st round draft pick. Does that change your outlook much for the team? I think Ben Gordon is a good fit four our 3 point shooter needs, he is averaging over 40% this year and shoots a ton of 3's. Slot him in as the backup PG (more of a distributor than Lucas anyways). Landry would give us solid rebounding from the PF position for 48 minutes a game (in tandem with Amir), and also adds some more low post scoring (something Bargs doesn't do). Who knows how the draft pick would pan out. I think we could also make an offer to Dalembert as our backup C. So, just for fun, this could be our lineup next year.

PG: Lowry, Gordon, Lucas
                      SG: DeRozan, Ross, Fields
                      SF: Gay, Fields, Anderson
                      PF: Amir, Landry, Acy
                      C: JVal, Dalembert, Gray

Seems like our starters will probably be the same next year, but we could have an improved bench. With this squad I see us competing for the 6-8 seed, and I'd be happy with that for now.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        PG: Lowry, Gordon, Lucas
                        SG: DeRozan, Ross, Fields
                        SF: Gay, Fields, Anderson
                        PF: Amir, Landry, Acy
                        C: JVal, Dalembert, Gray

Seems like our starters will probably be the same next year, but we could have an improved bench. With this squad I see us competing for the 6-8 seed, and I'd be happy with that for now.
                        How much do you think Dalembert and Landry are willing to take to sign with the team? There's gonna be about $700K left if we sign Landry to the MLE. Dalembert made $6M this past year.

And why would adding two bench players bring us up to the 6th seed?
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          How much do you think Dalembert and Landry are willing to take to sign with the team? There's gonna be about $700K left if we sign Landry to the MLE.

And why would adding two bench players bring us up to the 6th seed?
                          My guess is because there's been a noticeable drop in play when our bench comes in. Assuming we're a .500 team (post Gay trade), I could see an improved bench being good enough for 40-45 wins.

Comment

elarmthecity wrote: View Post
                            You just acknowledged the fact that he is capable of producing triple double numbers and yet you dont think he's a starter?

Weird post.
                            Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Thu Mar 14, 2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              My guess is because there's been a noticeable drop in play when our bench comes in. Assuming we're a .500 team (post Gay trade), I could see an improved bench being good enough for 40-45 wins.
                              40-45 is a big range -- that could be as low as 9th. The East isn't as big of a joke as it used to be. Every playoff bound team currently has a record above .500.

And it's unlikely that we're going to get both Dalembert and Landry. Probably just Landry -- if he's willing to take less money than what other teams can offer.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Working...
                              X