Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome TDOTtillIDie.

Answer is no.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I feel like we need an everything Wiggins sticky thread... This saddens me
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        I feel like we need an everything Wiggins sticky thread... This saddens me
        Stick: Everything Andrew Wiggins. A Dream.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          Stick: Everything Andrew Wiggins. A Dream.
          you could call it "Everything Mayan Apocalypse, Y2K Millenium Bug, Andrew Wiggins, Flying Pigs, and other unlikely events"

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            you could call it "Everything Mayan Apocalypse, Y2K Millenium Bug, Andrew Wiggins, Flying Pigs, and other unlikely events"
            I personally think these Andrew Wiggins threads are stupid. Nobody was on here talking about whether or not we could get Anthony Davis, or Kyrie Irving. Why? Because Wiggins is Canadian. Yes, I understand it would be cool, and fans are patriotic, but man...

Comment

NAAAAAAAAAT happening.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I personally think these Andrew Wiggins threads are stupid. Nobody was on here talking about whether or not we could get Anthony Davis, or Kyrie Irving. Why? Because Wiggins is Canadian. Yes, I understand it would be cool, and fans are patriotic, but man...
                It's not even patriotic. He's getting this attention because he's ranked highly... and oh ya, he's canadian, so we can pretend we're being patriotic

tristan thompson and cory joseph didn't get this kind of attention... and they were somewhat more attainable at the time, and just as canadian..

you don't see "hey, let's try to drag Carl English away from whatever random eastern european team he's playing for, because god dammit, he's CANADIAN" threads

Comment

It's not even patriotic. He's getting this attention because he's ranked highly... and oh ya, he's canadian, so we can pretend we're being patriotic

tristan thompson and cory joseph didn't get this kind of attention... and they were somewhat more attainable at the time, and just as canadian..

you don't see "hey, let's try to drag Carl English away from whatever random eastern european team he's playing for, because god dammit, he's CANADIAN" threads
                  It's really just a combo of both. Wiggins is probably the most hyped high school player since LeBron? But, I purely think Raptor fans are really into the whole "Can we get Wiggins" thing because he is Canadian.

Comment

I mean, think about the story:

"The number 1 pick (or whatever pick he'll end up going - likely 1st though) is the most talented player in the draft, going to the Toronto Raptors, which means he's the first Canadian drafted to a Canadian team."

It's just stupid in my opinion: 1, because it's clearly a dream, 2, it's because of the love he's Canadian, which all the more makes it obligatory for Raptor fans to say "hey, let's draft the best player who is also Canadian!".

Comment

Why can't we say "Hey! Is it possible to get Kyrie Irving (another really hyped player, only playing 13 games in NCAA) and/or one of the most dominant forces in College ball, Anthony Davis?"

Comment

It's really just a combo of both. Wiggins is probably the most hyped high school player since LeBron? But, I purely think Raptor fans are really into the whole "Can we get Wiggins" thing because he is Canadian.
                        whatever the reason... its seriously grasping at straws though...

unless derozan or ross come back next season as the second coming of MJ.. or Amir goes on a Rodman-like rebounding spree... we literally have NOTHING to offer for a first pick

if anybody really gives a shit about having him on the team... learn some patience... it's only coming through free agency, or trade relying on him falling way short of his potential

Comment

Why can't we say "Hey! Is it possible to get Kyrie Irving (another really hyped player, only playing 13 games in NCAA) and/or one of the most dominant forces in College ball, Anthony Davis?"
                          anytime anybody mentions davis.... i'm haunted with visions of his eyebrow for the rest of the day

Comment

anytime anybody mentions davis.... i'm haunted with visions of his eyebrow for the rest of the day
                            so his "Fear the Brow" slogan is actually working

Comment

I don't know...I don't think it's ever in combo with one person though. Some people are...umm...misguided, to be polite, and are primarily excited because he's Canadian.

For me, I want him because I wish this team had an obvious franchise-calibre player like him, regardless where he's from. THat said, I understand there is not even the slightest chance that the Raptors can find a way to strategize to get him. They couldn't tank badly enough if they wanted to. I mean what if they gut the team except JV, and still finish with the 5th best odds, and maybe even fall in the lottery...that is not worth it. And there is clearly no situation where the team with the #1 pick would trade it that year.

They would have to miss the playoffs and win the lottery against the odds. That would be ok with me. If somehow the Raps had the worst lottery chances, or say, in the 10-14 range, and somehow won the lottery, that's fine. That is, I suppose, realistic, in the sense that there are odds it can happen. I think that situation is a more realistic approach than gutting the team for better lottery chances or thinking a trade can be made. And it would still only be odds of around 1% give or take IF they are in that part of the lottery.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                I don't know...I don't think it's ever in combo with one person though. Some people are...umm...misguided, to be polite, and are primarily excited because he's Canadian.

For me, I want him because I wish this team had an obvious franchise-calibre player like him, regardless where he's from. THat said, I understand there is not even the slightest chance that the Raptors can find a way to strategize to get him. They couldn't tank badly enough if they wanted to. I mean what if they gut the team except JV, and still finish with the 5th best odds, and maybe even fall in the lottery...that is not worth it. And there is clearly no situation where the team with the #1 pick would trade it that year.

They would have to miss the playoffs and win the lottery against the odds. That would be ok with me. If somehow the Raps had the worst lottery chances, or say, in the 10-14 range, and somehow won the lottery, that's fine. That is, I suppose, realistic, in the sense that there are odds it can happen. I think that situation is a more realistic approach than gutting the team for better lottery chances or thinking a trade can be made. And it would still only be odds of around 1% give or take IF they are in that part of the lottery.
                                Problem is with that entire strategy, is the fact that the Raptors will not be in the top 10 in terms of lottery picks. With the CURRENT state and talent of the roster, this team is good enough in a full season with Rudy Gay & company to get that 7th or 8th seed, or be stuck in mediocrity around that 10th, 9th spot in the conference.

Likely, this team improves from this off-season, and possibly a playoff spot, or another bare miss.

The direction of this team is upward, and it is a combination of win-now, and still building the pieces into the core. This team is not looking to use draft picks to draft players, but to use it to trade for already established - young, or vets - players to play a role on this team.
                                Only GLARING hole is the power forward position, and that is hopefully addressed this off-season.

Back to the topic, is Wiggins realistic? No, also, whether or not we win the draft or, as much as you draft the BPA - best player available - Wiggins does not fit the need for we are stuck with a log jam at both wing positions.

P.S I'm not saying DON'T draft Wiggins, that would be stupid, just saying that situation does not best suit either way. i.e doesn't fit a need, will struggle with playing time.

Comment

Working...
                                X