No announcement yet.

Is Andrew Wiggins realistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The team has to pull an OKC and workout together all summer, I want to see them doing whatever basketball related activity together. At least Gay, Lowry, DeRozan and Ross gotta stick together pretty sur JV is going back home.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      Problem is with that entire strategy, is the fact that the Raptors will not be in the top 10 in terms of lottery picks. With the CURRENT state and talent of the roster, this team is good enough in a full season with Rudy Gay & company to get that 7th or 8th seed, or be stuck in mediocrity around that 10th, 9th spot in the conference.

Likely, this team improves from this off-season, and possibly a playoff spot, or another bare miss.

The direction of this team is upward, and it is a combination of win-now, and still building the pieces into the core. This team is not looking to use draft picks to draft players, but to use it to trade for already established - young, or vets - players to play a role on this team.
      Only GLARING hole is the power forward position, and that is hopefully addressed this off-season.

Back to the topic, is Wiggins realistic? No, also, whether or not we win the draft or, as much as you draft the BPA - best player available - Wiggins does not fit the need for we are stuck with a log jam at both wing positions.

P.S I'm not saying DON'T draft Wiggins, that would be stupid, just saying that situation does not best suit either way. i.e doesn't fit a need, will struggle with playing time.
      If you read my post and it made the sense I hoped it had, this is what I was saying. That the Raps only "realistic" shot at landing Wiggins is to just miss the playoffs with the roster they have, and somehow, miraculously, win the draft lottery with that ridiculously small chance they'd get in the lower few spots of the lottery...something like around 1.5 % at best, and probably more like 0.5%. It makes absolutely no sense to trade players on this team to tank, or acquire picks, or both.

As for the whole NEED thing. Wiggins will be a better player than Gay. Wiggins will be great. I don't think this has anything to do with him being Canadian. He looks ridiculous. He could be in teh NBA now, even though he's still skinny. It's one thing to worry about a logjam when you keep drafting non-star PFs. It's another when you have a once in a decade player. If he falls into their lap, they adjust the roster accordingly, and really, it would only mean trading Gay and his massive expiring contract.

Comment

If Rogers/Bell picks up BC's option, then I think it's a higher probability that BC trades the 2014 pick.

Comment

We will not get Wiggins, unless we trade for another teams lottery pick and it ends up being #1 overall. Or we wait till his rookie contract expires and throw max money at him.

Comment

You can't trade back to back 1st rounders

Comment

qb5PHILA@hotmail.com wrote: View Post
              You can't trade back to back 1st rounders
              We're gonna lose 2013 pick right when the season ends. So, BC will have carte blanche to start dealing the 2014 pick, even before the 2013 happens, most likely as a draft day deal or during the free agent period (a la Lowry).

Comment

Forget about Andrew Wiggins, we're not going to get him. Well, unless they blowout the whole team which i don't see happening.

Kevin Pangos is the one Canadian that i would love to see the Raps target. Not sure if he's declaring this year or next year though.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

I personally think these Andrew Wiggins threads are stupid. Nobody was on here talking about whether or not we could get Anthony Davis, or Kyrie Irving. Why? Because Wiggins is Canadian. Yes, I understand it would be cool, and fans are patriotic, but man...
                  But apart from being patriotic - so many fans (especially on this site) have that paranoia thing hapenning: 'all american players hate Canada! No superstar will ever stay here! Everyone leaves us!" Personally, I don't buy all that. However, because Wiggins is Canadian, we can assume that he'd stay here long term. There wouldn't be years of "will he or won't he re-sign" speculation, which would be a beautiful thing.

If the Raptors organization is smart, every move they make from now on will be with idea of both clearing cap space for the summer that Wiggins first becomes available as a free agent, while at the same time building a competitive roster/winning culture that he'd want to be a part of.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I personally think these Andrew Wiggins threads are stupid. Nobody was on here talking about whether or not we could get Anthony Davis, or Kyrie Irving. Why? Because Wiggins is Canadian. Yes, I understand it would be cool, and fans are patriotic, but man...
                    yeah but the hype wiggins has got and will continue to get is similar to that of lebron. maybe this is just me, and i dont really follow high school or college hoops, but i dont remember hearing about anthony davis or kyrie irving when they were in grade 11
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

as a person though, I'm sure Andrew Wiggins is very realistic
                      A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Wiggins calls himself a Canadian, plays internationally for Canada, but is in fact half American. I'll bet he has an American passport that will save him mucho dinero in tax payments when he begins making the big money starting next spring.

Comment

I think we all need to relax a little bit, let him play a year of college basketball and then we'll see if these superstar statements are false or not. And don't worry you'll find out, the media is quick to turn on you.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Even then, Raps would need serious cap space. I don't think he comes here for cheap (assuming he's a bona fide superstar by the time his rookie deal expires).
                            And not to mention he'll be a restricted free agent...

Comment

We had a realistic chance at Wiggins until BC went into win now mode, trading away picks and developing players for what would help us get to .500 for next year. I'm still not even sold on that. The one thing BC was supposed to do but didn't was to get rid of Bargnani somehow and he couldn't pull that off. I still have dreams where we were shit this season, traded Bargs for anything and just tanked for Wiggins. I would be able to wait two years for a franchise player people are comparing to Lebron as well as sitting on young talent and picks to build an elite team, but for some reason that isn't acceptable to people who just want to sniff the playoffs to save their jobs *cough* BC *cough*

Comment

Why don't we talk about something a little bit more realistic
                                Like signing Lebron next year
                                Or coaxing michael Jordan out of retirement
                                Or catching the lochness monster

Comment

Working...
                                X