Corey Joseph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corey Joseph

Toronto boy is starting @ PG for the Spurs (while Parker is out) and looking pretty good in limited minutes recently. He was horrific last year, barely passing for a D-Leaguer, but this year he's shooting well (50/40/90, FG/3P/FT) and playing solid D. Did the Spurs pick up yet another late round diamond-in-the-rough?

I haven't seen Joseph play at all this year. He must be doing well if Pop is giving him 12 minutes a game.

I thought he was from Pickering.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      I haven't seen Joseph play at all this year. He must be doing well if Pop is giving him 12 minutes a game.

I thought he was from Pickering.
      Yeah, he is. When I say Toronto, I mean GTA.

Comment

I hate to do this....but, really, his name is Cory. C'mon guys

Comment

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that the Raps were actually very high on Joseph and trying to acquire a late first round pick to get him. In fact, I'm almost 100% certain that they had a deal on the table with the Spurs, if the guy the Spurs wanted was off the board when their pick came up....unfortunately, the Spurs wanted the same guy as the Raps, so they drafted Joseph.

*On his game: seemed like he was bound to become a good shooter back from his college days. Really happy he's putting up 50-40-90 %s right now, even in a small sample. Haven't seen him play too much, but I get the impression he's still got a lot to learn about running O in the NBA, but also seems like he's become a capable shooting PG.
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            I feel like I remember reading somewhere that the Raps were actually very high on Joseph and trying to acquire a late first round pick to get him. In fact, I'm almost 100% certain that they had a deal on the table with the Spurs, if the guy the Spurs wanted was off the board when their pick came up....unfortunately, the Spurs wanted the same guy as the Raps, so they drafted Joseph.

*On his game: seemed like he was bound to become a good shooter back from his college days. Really happy he's putting up 50-40-90 %s right now, even in a small sample. Haven't seen him play too much, but I get the impression he's still got a lot to learn about running O in the NBA, but also seems like he's become a capable shooting PG.
            Definitely not that draft. We traded our 1st rounder to the Bulls for JJ, with the famous BC quote.... "... there is nobody in this draft that has the talent of James Johnson that will be available at our pick...." Joseph was available.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Definitely not that draft. We traded our 1st rounder to the Bulls for JJ, with the famous BC quote.... "... there is nobody in this draft that has the talent of James Johnson that will be available at our pick...." Joseph was available.
              That trade happened well before the draft. And FWIW, the quote you have there (if it is a quote), doesn't imply anything about whether they later tried to acquire Joseph. BC could've seen Johnson as a legit piece of the team, worth trading a pick for, whereas he could've seen Joseph as a fringe player to take a chance on with a lower pick if he could acquire one.

Comment

The last really interesting tidbit from the feature is that it looks like Colangelo was trying to acquire another pick at some point that night, and even more intriguing is that it sounds like he wanted Canadian Cory Joseph, who the Spurs eventually picked 29th.
                Source:
                http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...draft-special/

There you go, something to think about.

It's also funny how they talk about this "new Colangelo" who was patiently going to rebuild...what happened to that?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Source:
                  http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...draft-special/

There you go, something to think about.

It's also funny how they talk about this "new Colangelo" who was patiently going to rebuild...what happened to that?
                  Nice link. You hit the nail on the head. And yet, isn't the whole JJ thing the story of BC in a microcosm. He trades the late 1st rounder for JJ, and then immediately tries to win the press conference with the unequivocal statement that "..... there's nobody of JJ's talent level at that spot - 28th. Then, just months later he tries to acquire a pick back at approximately the same spot, slightly lower. Then we trade JJ for a second rounder.

You nailed the key word here.... patience. There is just a consistent impatience in everything BC does. It's like if he's got a dollar in his pocket, he HAS TO spend it on whatever happens to be available at the time. Must have been nice growing up never having to care about the value of money. I'll try to find the exact quote, but it's been well discussed on this board.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Nice link. You hit the nail on the head. And yet, isn't the whole JJ thing the story of BC in a microcosm. He trades the late 1st rounder for JJ, and then immediately tries to win the press conference with the unequivocal statement that "..... there's nobody of JJ's talent level at that spot - 28th. Then, just months later he tries to acquire a pick back at approximately the same spot, slightly lower. Then we trade JJ for a second rounder.

You nailed the key word here.... patience. There is just a consistent impatience in everything BC does. It's like if he's got a dollar in his pocket, he HAS TO spend it on whatever happens to be available at the time. Must have been nice growing up never having to care about the value of money. I'll try to find the exact quote, but it's been well discussed on this board.
                    Yeah...the one thing I have said since long before I joined these forums was that regardless of the quality of job you think BC is doing, no one could ever argue that he approaches team-building with strategy. He is totally reactionary/impulsive and doesn't care at all about increasing wins, just increasing hype/sales. I laugh at anyone who suggests he has long-term vision when Toronto is on it's 3rd "franchise" player, 3rd coach, has missed the playoffs for 5 years, and has no cap space.

And if you even look at his PHX days, as good as the Nash-led teams played, it was always hard to believe they'd win a ring. THey just didn't look like a team built for that kind of playoff run. The last time PHX really had that kind of leadership was when his father was controlling everything and pulled the Barkley trade. That team had about the right kind of roster mix to play deep playoffs basketball. Colangelo should be managing a team like the Bucks, expectations-wise (though obviously not with the type of resources he likes), where 8th seed is always the goal (I kid, but you know what I mean).

Comment

You know who else had a Joseph in their name? Joseph Stalin.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        You know who else had a Joseph in their name? Joseph Stalin.
                        sounds legit
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                        X