Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In case you didn't know, Raps stuck in basement of NBA (HoopsWorld.com)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Colangelo's mistake wasn't drafting Bargnani. It was keeping Bargnani for as long as he did.

As seen here, 5 of the 13 mock drafts leading up to the 2006 draft had Bargnani as the top pick. Meaning, there were probably quite a few GMs willing to take Bargnani #1.
    http://www.nba.com/bobcats/draft_mocks_060601.html

Bargnani wasn't the consensus #1, but he wasn't a reach either.
    Seriously, that mock draft board is scary, when you look at it. Basically there was a clear debate between Aldridge and Bargnani, two physically gifted bigs who could score the ball, at #1. And then the only other people who got votes were Adam Morrison and Tyrus Thomas...that's scary. Imagine if BC had used the pick on one of those guys

Comment

I'm actually thinking BC's option should be picked up. This team is a lock for the playoffs next year, and with some minor changes or just development of the players we can fight for th 5th-6th seed. I don't think he deserves to have it picked up but we're finally look at a season where the number 1a or 1b goal is to win games! I don't want a management shake up to undermine our ability to win in any way. See what this team can do, let them lose in the first round and then don't rehire BC.

Before the Gay trades, then sure bring in someone new. But now, there's not a lot a new GM can do anyway other than mess with chemistry.

Again his performance as a GM doesn't warrant him getting an extension, but he's put together a team that's going to make the playoffs, and the front office has pretty much 0 flexibility. You hire a new GM now and what is he going to do? We've finally got a team that's going to make the playoffs. Please Jesus, let us make the playoffs at least one year before we blow it all up again. Even if we get swept in the first round, I don't give a sh!t, but gee dee it! I want to see some raptors playoff basketball!
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        I'm actually thinking BC's option should be picked up. This team is a lock for the playoffs next year, and with some minor changes or just development of the players we can fight for th 5th-6th seed. I don't think he deserves to have it picked up but we're finally look at a season where the number 1a or 1b goal is to win games! I don't want a management shake up to undermine our ability to win in any way. See what this team can do, let them lose in the first round and then don't rehire BC.

Before the Gay trades, then sure bring in someone new. But now, there's not a lot a new GM can do anyway other than mess with chemistry.

Again his performance as a GM doesn't warrant him getting an extension, but he's put together a team that's going to make the playoffs, and the front office has pretty much 0 flexibility. You hire a new GM now and what is he going to do? We've finally got a team that's going to make the playoffs. Please Jesus, let us make the playoffs at least one year before we blow it all up again. Even if we get swept in the first round, I don't give a sh!t, but gee dee it! I want to see some raptors playoff basketball!

What makes you so certain we're playoff bound? Since Rudy Gay has joined we're .500 (9-9), and haven't beaten a single team with a winning record in the last 10 games. We may make the playoffs next year but it isn't a guarantee and a 5th or 6th seed would be much higher than can be reasonably expected.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
          What makes you so certain we're playoff bound? Since Rudy Gay has joined we're .500 (9-9), and haven't beaten a single team with a winning record in the last 10 games. We may make the playoffs next year but it isn't a guarantee and a 5th or 6th seed would be much higher than can be reasonably expected.
          This team has legit playoff talent to make it. It had the talent this year but just had an abysmal start. They had the toughest schedule to start the season. 4-19 to start 22-21 since than. With Rudy they've beaten Clippers, Indiana, NYC twice, Denver. This team could always compete with teams. They just couldn't close them out. With a summer and Training camp that will be better.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Here comes another hate on Bargs thread. Honestly the way Bargs was being used was pretty bad, especially since Gay got here. I think Bargs is fine (not #1 overall but just look at that top 10, most are rotting on the bench right now (or out of the NBA)). People need to get over it. He had a bad start to the season then got hurt, then Gay got here and the team got flipped on it's head. I think Bargs can still help this franchise if he's used properly. The couple last games that he played this season (when he started and got minutes) before he got hurt is the proof of that. He was grabbing 5+ rebounds and shooting fairly well and trying harder.

Either way, with Gays contract (and it seems like he's going to be getting an extension) the Raptors can't do crap. He has yet to prove he can be a #1 that can lead the team and has been shooting piss poor for the most part this season (both on the Raptors and Grizz). We are pretty much stuck in the same situation where we'll be 8th or 7th at best and will get knocked out before we can get anywhere.
            Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Mar 16, 2013, 03:14 PM.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
              Here comes another hate on Bargs thread. Honestly the way Bargs was being used was pretty bad, especially since Gay got here. I think Bargs is fine (not #1 overall but just look at that top 10, most are rotting on the bench right now (or out of the NBA)). People need to get over it. He had a bad start to the season then got hurt, then Gay got here and the team got flipped on it's head. I think Bargs can still help this franchise if he's used properly. The couple last games that he played this season (when he started and got minutes) before he got hurt is the proof of that. He was grabbing 5+ rebounds and shooting fairly well and trying harder.

Either way, with Gays contract (and it seems like he's going to be getting an extension) the Raptors can't do crap. He has yet to prove he can be a #1 that can lead the team and has been shooting piss poor for the most part this season (both on the Raptors and Grizz). We are pretty much stuck in the same situation where we'll be 8th or 7th at best and will get knocked out before we can get anywhere.
              ... and getting paid $10M.

I think most people here are over Bargs.

I think you are the one who brought him up in this thread.

I think the Raptors will have more success with Rudy than Bargnani leading the charge - which is not setting a very high bar.

Comment

LA was my pick over bargs that year. In a way I would have preferred Adam Morrison or Roy. At this point they would be either undeniably a bust or sadly injured. But either way we would have shifted gears and moved on. The team is better with him not on the court and not a constant distraction. Those 0 for games when he wasn't starting and then ill magically once put into the starting lineup he starts scoring was really sickeningly obvious. Fucking Primo Donna.

Comment

Pill wrote: View Post
                  LA was my pick over bargs that year. In a way I would have preferred Adam Morrison or Roy.
                  Not too many people were raising their eyebrows when the Raps chose Bargs back then. A lot of people, and the media of course, were quick to sing his praises, yap about his potential and compare him with Dirk -even I was a bit excited. What a bust and what a crap draft (shame what happened to Roy and even Morrison). Still, LA was my pick over Bargs too and I remember Bosh even lobbying for LA (anyone remember that?) saying they were buddies and played with each other etc etc... I remember being on the fence between LA and Bargs but when I heard Bosh wanting LA and saying he was a sure thing, that was the tipping point for me. Of course Colangelo had his own plans and wanted to be the genius who chose the next Dirk.
                  Last edited by OldSchool; Mon Mar 18, 2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

The mistake wasn't drafting bargs... it was pretty much everything else afterwards.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Get it out of your minds people, drafting Bargs was the best move in that draft. His handling and straight Lethargy is what ruined him.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        Get it out of your minds people, drafting Bargs was the best move in that draft. His handling and straight Lethargy is what ruined him.
                        It's hard to say it was the "best move" when Aldridge, another realistic first overall pick, has had a much better career to date.

Acknowledging that hindsight is 20/20, drafting Aldridge would've been the best move.

Comment

Acknowledging that hindsight is 20/20, drafting Aldridge would've been the best move.
                          If you are using hindsight, wouldn't you rather have had Rondo? Rondo is better than LA imo. I seem to remember something back then that Aldridge didn't want to come to Toronto, I don't have anything to back it up yet (haven't started looking) but I seem to remember that for some reason.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            If you are using hindsight, wouldn't you rather have had Rondo? Rondo is better than LA imo. I seem to remember something back then that Aldridge didn't want to come to Toronto, I don't have anything to back it up yet (haven't started looking) but I seem to remember that for some reason.
                            This is just my opinion, but I don't believe Rondo would've turned into the player he is today, if drafted by any other team.

Also, I wanted to restrict the "best move" to realistic ones at the time of the 2006 draft. Rondo wasn't even considered a lottery pick back then.

Comment

This is just my opinion, but I don't believe Rondo would've turned into the player he is today, if drafted by any other team.

Also, I wanted to restrict the "best move" to realistic ones at the time of the 2006 draft. Rondo wasn't even considered a lottery pick back then.
                              I disagree about Rondo in the sense that he is super competitive and super intelligent. He may not have reached the level of accolades without playing with Pierce, Allen and KG and probably would have lower assists totals, but he would still be a one-man fast break, an excellent push the tempo point guard and a very solid defender. He might be under-appreciated if he went to another team, but I think he'd still be the better player.

I completely agree that Rondo wasn't a realistic option for #1 that year. No one thought that a point guard who couldn't shoot could become a legit point guard, let alone the levels that Rondo has reached.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                                The mistake wasn't drafting bargs... it was pretty much everything else afterwards.
                                There it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X