No announcement yet.

Is rebounding still all that important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kind of late to the party and a lot of the posts on the first page alluded to it, but I thought this was worth stating because I didn't see it explicitly. Miami has grabbed the least rebounds in the league by quite a bit, but there's no adjustment for pace or ofg% or anything. However, if you look at hoopdata, the Heat are almost literally exactly average in terms of defensive rebounding rate.

Comment

Obviously, this thread is in response to the Raps loss to Miami. The Raps had 51 boards, while Miami had 26. Both teams had 39 made FG's, the Raps requiring 94 shots to do so (42%), while the heat required just 67 (for 58%). This means that the Heat had few offensive rebounding opportunites while the Raps had many. In fact, the Raps had as many offensive rebounds as the Heat had defensive. And, if you recall, there were multiple times in which the Raps (well, probably Amir) had consecutive offensive boards off of tips at the rim. Shot missed, tip missed, tip missed again and again. That's 4 FG attempts and 3 rebounds in one play. That happened more than once against the Heat on Sunday. Nonetheless, I understand why you would create a post like this. When you out rebound your opponent by 25, you should expect to win. But like "white men can't jump" noted earlier, the Heat are so good at everything else they can afford to be a weak rebounding team. However, that may catch up with them if they don't continue to shoot the ball at that crazy rate.

Comment

Working...
      X