Sam Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Mitchell

Good coach, arguably the greatest coach in Raptors history(i still think it's Lenny). Very underrated. Not a big fan when he got fired because the Raps that time i believe had a .500 record or maybe just a couple of games under .500. I know the "expectations" that year was to make the playoffs but the Raptors i thought got worse under Triano. And i don't think they made the playoffs that year.

But anyway, this is not a "bring back Sam" thread lol. Mitchell is now an analyst for NBA TV and for TSN March Madness. And i think he's done a great job, i think he's a great analyst, he tells it like it is. Still looks weird seeing him on TSN along with Jack Armstrong talking hoops lol. Anyhow, i hope we see more of Sam Mitchell as an analyst this time for the Raptors on TSN in the future.
    Last edited by The Great One; Fri Mar 22, 2013, 04:05 AM.
    Mamba Mentality

TRex wrote: View Post
    Good coach, arguably the greatest coach in Raptors history(i still think it's Lenny). Very underrated. Not a big fan when he got fired because the Raps that time i believe had a .500 record or maybe just a couple of games under .500. I know the "expectations" that year was to make the playoffs but the Raptors i thought got worse under Triano. And i don't think they made the playoffs that year.

But anyway, this is not a "bring back Sam" thread lol. Mitchell is now an analyst for NBA TV and for TSN March Madness. And i think he's done a great job, i think he's a great analyst, he tells it like it is. Still looks weird seeing him on TSN along with Jack Armstrong talking hoops lol. Anyhow, i hope we see more of Sam Mitchell as an analyst this time for the Raptors on TSN in the future.
    I'm not a fan. I think the fact that he doesn't get mentioned as a candidate for other head-coaching vacancies, let alone have another gig, is very telling.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Smitch definitely got the short end of the stick when he got axed (Raps were 8-9 at the time).

But IMO, the best coach this team ever had is still Butch Carter. He's the one who brought this franchise up to respectability. Lenny seemed to piggyback off the foundation that Butch built.

Comment

I remember when he was fired. It was the year O Neal was acquired and he was supposed to pair with Bosh and make one of the best front courts. It turned out to be a disappointment and Sam ended up the victim. I wouldn't say he was great nor was he bad but I think his firing spelt the beginning of things going down for the Raps.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

not a fan. Butch Carter a better coach than SM imo.

Comment

I'd put Butch Carter first and Kevin O'Neill second as far as pure coaching skills. Butch was also great at player development. Unfortunately, they both had some personality issues off the court and in the media that overshadowed everything else.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              I'd put Butch Carter first and Kevin O'Neill second as far as pure coaching skills. Butch was also great at player development. Unfortunately, they both had some personality issues off the court and in the media that overshadowed everything else.
              KO, like Casey, didn't know anything about the offensive side of the ball.

Comment

people seem to forget the team that Butch had...was prob. the best roster this team ever had! Smitch had a decent team but had them playing well above there talent level..id take Smitch over Butch any day

Comment

The thing about Butch that makes me never want to touch him again with a 10 foot pole, is that he clearly didn't understand anything about managing players and relationships, both within the team, and in the league in general. We can talk about xs and os, and game prep, and motivation, and blah blah blah....but the hardest part of being a successful coach in the NBA is maintaing strong relationships with your players and your GM (who always has to have your back). I don't believe Butch was any good at that. His players didn't really like him, he went after his boss' job, he sued an ex-player...Dude has more ego than Michael Jordan...

Smitch definitely needed more work on the xs and os type stuff...but I think he really understood the NBA a lot better than any coach the Raps have had. He didn't want to pamper Vince, or Bargs. He wanted to push guys but also support them. Problems only started with management when they started telling him how to do his job (in other words, when they no longer had his back).

*Sidenote: I also don't think I can say for sure the Raps have ever had a coach worth keeping for the long-term.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    The thing about Butch that makes me never want to touch him again with a 10 foot pole, is that he clearly didn't understand anything about managing players and relationships, both within the team, and in the league in general. We can talk about xs and os, and game prep, and motivation, and blah blah blah....but the hardest part of being a successful coach in the NBA is maintaing strong relationships with your players and your GM (who always has to have your back). I don't believe Butch was any good at that. His players didn't really like him, he went after his boss' job, he sued an ex-player...Dude has more ego than Michael Jordan...

Smitch definitely needed more work on the xs and os type stuff...but I think he really understood the NBA a lot better than any coach the Raps have had. He didn't want to pamper Vince, or Bargs. He wanted to push guys but also support them. Problems only started with management when they started telling him how to do his job (in other words, when they no longer had his back).

*Sidenote: I also don't think I can say for sure the Raps have ever had a coach worth keeping for the long-term.
                    It's interesting, in a morbid and scary way, to observe that the Raptors have never had what I would call a 'complete' coach. We've had great motivators, we've had great x's & o's guys, we've had young player developmental gurus, we've had defensive gurus and we've had offensive gurus, but we've never had a coach who really excelled in all those areas.

I see 2 solutions. Option 1 is to hire a seasoned, proven, veteran head coach. Option 2 is to go with a committee style coaching staff, where the head coach is the respected motivator (and possibly great offensively or defensively) and there are dedicated offensive and/or defensive coordinators, as well as associate coaches who excel at individual player/skill development.

I'm sick of having the Raptors lead by inexperience, one-dimensional coaches. I'm not surprised though, as ineffcient and one-dimensional seems to be the calling card of the entire organization!

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      I'm not a fan. I think the fact that he doesn't get mentioned as a candidate for other head-coaching vacancies, let alone have another gig, is very telling.
                      As if any Raps coaches do

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        It's interesting, in a morbid and scary way, to observe that the Raptors have never had what I would call a 'complete' coach. We've had great motivators, we've had great x's & o's guys, we've had young player developmental gurus, we've had defensive gurus and we've had offensive gurus, but we've never had a coach who really excelled in all those areas.

I see 2 solutions. Option 1 is to hire a seasoned, proven, veteran head coach. Option 2 is to go with a committee style coaching staff, where the head coach is the respected motivator (and possibly great offensively or defensively) and there are dedicated offensive and/or defensive coordinators, as well as associate coaches who excel at individual player/skill development.

I'm sick of having the Raptors lead by inexperience, one-dimensional coaches. I'm not surprised though, as ineffcient and one-dimensional seems to be the calling card of the entire organization!
                        And this is something I think Smitch was trying to do. It was pretty obvious he gave a lot of work to his assistants, and he seemed genuinely happy when they kept the job internal and gave it to Triano. Again, I'm 100% convinced the Raps have never had a guy as good as Smitch at the relationships part of the game, including his ability to switch to a "bad guy" role to push his players without them maintaining that view of him.

Comment

Dude, we've got Micah Nori. What more of a committee do we need???

Comment

um, I beleive coach mitchell had one of the top 5 players in the NBA on his roster during the peak of said players career. I didn't like the way they let him go, but I'd take Casey over Mitchell any day of the week.

Mitchell imo is an awful analyst. If I had to listen to him call Raptors games I would probably start liking Leo Rautins.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              um, I beleive coach mitchell had one of the top 5 players in the NBA on his roster during the peak of said players career. I didn't like the way they let him go, but I'd take Casey over Mitchell any day of the week.

Mitchell imo is an awful analyst. If I had to listen to him call Raptors games I would probably start liking Leo Rautins.
                              Just...no :P

Comment

Working...
                              X