Sam Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OldSchool wrote: View Post
    What??? This group was definitely the best Raptor unit we've had thus far. How quickly people forget. Vince was killing it. Davis would have started on almost all teams back then. Willis (dude always amazed me with his energy despite being 97yrs old) woulda averaged a double double with starter minutes, Oakley's job was to be a presence down low and not let anyone punk Vince or the Raptors (and he did it well), Christie was an above average defender at the guard spot (i think top 5 in steals annually), Dee Brown was a much smarter player than Lucas and Curry was one of the best at what he was brought in for (spot up shots and 3) - this is not to mention Alvin (average player but fan favorite - ditto for Mugsy) and an up and coming TMac

If that group didn't make the playoffs I woulda hung Butch myself.
    But why did Vince become a star so quickly? Why did T-Mac also develop quickly, being drafted as a high schooler, not even top 5. Both players credit Butch. Put Casey in the same situation and I think we all know Alan Anderson would be getting major minutes at the expense of both those guys.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      TMac and Christie were role players. Davis was a backup 1 year prior. Oakley was a grizzled vet well past his prime (even moreso for Willis). Alvin Williams barely saw the floor. Dee Brown was as "good" as John Lucas, and Curry was a one-dimensional shooter.

Like I said, Carter plus spare parts. Butch deserves credit for taking this group to the playoffs.
      I gotta say, you're underselling that team a little. T-Mac was just about to explode into stardom, and you could tell. The numbers weren't there, but it was very obvious that he was about to hit a very high level (which he did next year). Davis had only been a backup because he was playing behind Smits. Oakley was still one of the best big man defenders in the league. They clearly weren't championship material, but it was a legitimate NBA roster up and down.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        But why did Vince become a star so quickly? Why did T-Mac also develop quickly, being drafted as a high schooler, not even top 5. Both players credit Butch. Put Casey in the same situation and I think we all know Alan Anderson would be getting major minutes at the expense of both those guys.
        Agreed. DC has the potential to be a good coach but, after nearly two seasons, I'm seriously questioning if he was the best choice to lead a [re]building team full of young players. I just don't think he was the right fit - wrong roster and/or wrong time in the core's development cycle (though he would still have been a great choice as a defensive coordinator type assistant coach).

Comment

We can blame this season on win now mentality and overall winning with making this Bargnani's team. Casey wasnt given a recipe for success here.

Comment

Sam Mitchell is on fire today!! lol! Love this guy as an analyst. He and Jack are a great combo. Very entertaining!
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
            X