Trade for a 1st round pick this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade for a 1st round pick this year?

Raptors aren't going to get a 1st round pick this year unless they lose the rest of the season. There's one guy in this draft that intrigues me and i think fills a need and he's projected to go in the 10-20 range. Doug McDermott.

Raptors need a 3pt shooter and McDermott is a GREAT shooter. He also have a post up game and is a very smart player. I've always been a fan of him, been following him since last year. Heck, i took Creighton as one of my Final Four team this year.

So what do you guys think would it take to get a pick in that range?

Areas the Raps need to address in the offseason in my opinion is 3pt shooting and i still think they need a starting PF. Although Amir is starting to change my mind about acquiring another big. But 3pt shooting for sure is one area they need to upgrade.
    Last edited by The Great One; Sat Mar 23, 2013, 12:30 AM.
    Mamba Mentality

TRex wrote: View Post
    Raptors aren't going to get a 1st round pick this year unless they lose the rest of the season. There's one guy in this draft that intrigues me and i think fills a need and he's projected to go in the 10-20 range. Doug McDermott.

Raptors need a 3pt shooter and McDermott is a GREAT shooter. He also have a post up game and is a very smart player. I've always been a fan of him, been following him since last year. Heck, i took Creighton as one of my Final Four team this year.

So what do you guys think would it take to get a pick in that range?

Areas the Raps need to address in the offseason in my opinion is 3pt shooting and i still think they need a starting PF. Although Amir is starting to change my mind about acquiring another big. But 3pt shooting for sure is one area they need to upgrade.
    You can't be serious? Trade to get a pick to draft Doug McDermott
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Lol, nope. Don't waste our assets on a weak draft with non-impact players for the future, and 3rd string assets like Anderson (or players like him) will not get us in the 1st round of the draft.

If it was the 2014 draft we are talking about, than yes, there's no question, with the top 3 being possible franchise changers, and the others players having almost as good potential.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I think it's mostly pointless to trade for a 1st round pick this year. I also think, even if you like McDermott, really, this is the wrong draft to target 1st round picks in trades.

This is a consensus hideously weak draft. There are those who say it will be worse than the Kenyon Martin draft. If you really want to target somebody, there's a very good chance they could drop into the 2nd round. I wouldn't mind trying to get a 2nd rd pick in the 30s, and target a guy who in this draft, could basically be as talented as anyone, even lottery picks. McDermott could be one of those guys...he's all over the place in mock drafts. Same with Kabongo...I know he's a Canuck, but I'm always a fan of natural PGs, so I would definitely give him a look.
        Note: on Hoopsworld, it says protections TBD on the 2nd rder we traded...so I don't know if we would keep this year's 2nd rounder, or under what conditions.

The only 1st rounder I would target in this draft is if one becomes available in Bargs talks. I know this seems unlikely, but this is a draft where teams will be looking to unload picks rather than pay guaranteed money to subpar talent. A team like Chicago, and the Boozer trade talks included, could easily want to part with such a late 1st round pick if there's no player they're in love with, given the motivations for such a trade are mostly financial. And again, this could leave lots of options since this draft could be a bit of a mess. It makes no sense though to give up extra assets beyond the deals the team needs to make, which is mostly just shedding Bargs.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Mar 23, 2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Is this a good time to shop Bargnani is he first round pick valuable??

I dont think for the moment anyway we want anymore inconsistent rookies we are currently developing 2. keep that number to a minimum we need established players.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Is this a good time to shop Bargnani is he first round pick valuable??

I dont think for the moment anyway we want anymore inconsistent rookies we are currently developing 2. keep that number to a minimum we need established players.
            You don't shop Bargnani for a pick, you shop him for a player, like Boozer, and then try to get a pick thrown in. Again, if Chicago's motivations are financial, it makes very little sense for them to add guaranteed money. Toronto will have very few tools to address depth, and so a draft pick could end up being a very valuable piece. I mean, targeting a guy like Kabongo wouldn't really weaken any position. I think you could say the same if they targeted a big man, where they are brutally thin. I don't know that I would target a wing like McDermott, because he's going to struggle to get playing time, but if you think he's NBA ready, it's still not a bad strategy to pick up a 5th wing.

I mean, really, this team will be rounded out with minimum value scrubs after any Bargs trade and whatever version of the MLE they can use. I would be very ok with having one less scrub in favor of a rookie on a similarly cheap deal who may actually have potential to grow as a player. This team is not going anywhere so fast that this hurts their chances in any way.

*Added note: any rookie who is a low 1st rd pick or 2nd rd pick will likely be making equal or less than the veteran's minimum you'd pay a lot of guys.

Comment

I can't believe the season has come to this but.....

Raps might not have to trade for a pick.

There are 6 teams currently just 3 wins behind Toronto .

The Raptors have 13 games remaining facing 8 playoff teams.

Of the 5 non playoff teams, they see Detroit x2, Washington x2, and Minnesota.

All 3 of those teams are within 3 wins of Toronto.

This is also the time of year when playoff teams start resting against the bottom dwellers - that may work for and against the Raptors.

The odds are against it but someone from the bottom 5-8 usually end up in the top 3.

Long story short if the Raptors keep sinking, they might just retain their pick after all.

Comment

This draft looks so weak. The Dude projected to go 1st, Ben Mclemore, is basically a 1" shorter Terrence Ross.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  This draft looks so weak. The Dude projected to go 1st, Ben Mclemore, is basically a 1" shorter Terrence Ross.
                  I love T-Ross you know that but man you're seriously overrating him. Ben McLemore is the real deal. Much better player than Ross. I don't think it's even close.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    Lol, nope. Don't waste our assets on a weak draft with non-impact players for the future, and 3rd string assets like Anderson (or players like him) will not get us in the 1st round of the draft.

If it was the 2014 draft we are talking about, than yes, there's no question, with the top 3 being possible franchise changers, and the others players having almost as good potential.
                    I'm not talking about a top 3 pick i'm talking about a top 10-20 pick. On a draft as weak as this draft i don't think it would cost much to get a pick in that range. Maybe a future 1st rounder could do it.

As for your 2014 draft comment. Do you really think we have the asset to trade a for a top 3 pick? Wiggins, Parker and Randle.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

I love T-Ross you know that but man you're seriously overrating him. Ben McLemore is the real deal. Much better player than Ross. I don't think it's even close.
                      No i think you're underrating Ross. I've seen nothing great from Ben Mclemore and he played pretty bad vs Western Kentucky yesterday. But since he's 2 years younger he probably has a little more potential if he can put it together. He doesn't use his athleticism to his advantage, so he's more of a spot up shooter.

Comment

I think Ben McLemore is a more athletic Bradley Beal but with a lower BB IQ
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I'm not talking about a top 3 pick i'm talking about a top 10-20 pick. On a draft as weak as this draft i don't think it would cost much to get a pick in that range. Maybe a future 1st rounder could do it.

As for your 2014 draft comment. Do you really think we have the asset to trade a for a top 3 pick? Wiggins, Parker and Randle.
                          Read what I said again. I said "....will not get us in the 1st round of the draft." I was clearly talking about that.

Second, it WILL cost us quite a bit. Regardless of the talent in the draft, first round picks are assets and or valuable. Because it becomes a trade kicker (contract, young player) and or might be a kid with talent.

As for the 2014 draft, I don't think so... Not at all actually. Just saying the fact that the 2014 draft is incredibly stronger compared to this one, where the 1st overall pick is so wide open.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            No i think you're underrating Ross. I've seen nothing great from Ben Mclemore and he played pretty bad vs Western Kentucky yesterday. But since he's 2 years younger he probably has a little more potential if he can put it together. He doesn't use his athleticism to his advantage, so he's more of a spot up shooter.
                            I like Ross, but I think you're overrating him a little bit. But, I agree, I've seen nothing but flashes from Mclemore. I'm not buying it.

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                              I think Ben McLemore is a more athletic Bradley Beal but with a lower BB IQ
                              I agree. He hasn't shown anything great his draft stock is all based on potential not actual play

Comment

Working...
                              X