Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    I will agree to some extent that the whole "Casey's offense is terrible" meme is overblown. The Raps are better than league average in OffRtg and rank somewhere between 11 and 15 depending on the site referenced.

Two observations though. First, while Toronto runs some good sets, they don't get good looks out of them. One really nice play they run has JV set the high screen for Lowry; JV rolls off and sets a 'pindown' screen for Derozan. Simultaneously, Amir and Gay have weakside action for gay to post-up. It's a good set. Problem is that it will typically result in a midrange jumper. I feel like a lot of the sets are catered to setting up jumpers. The other big offensive issue is the ball movement. There are not enough capable or willing passers out there. When defenses dig in, the ball stops and the offense sputters. That's part personnel, part coach.

My bigger beefs with Casey are: the defense (24th in the NBA), style of play (excruciatingly slow), questionable rotations, terrible fourth quarter execution. Not all of it is on Casey (Colangelo is ultimately to blame for this frankenstein monster of a roster) but he hasn't helped the situation.
    I base my opinions on the Raptors since the Gay trade. Now the sample size is small (24 games) but it is still alarming in my opinion.

Since February 1st the Raptors are 21st in DefRtg and 23rd in OffRtg.

They are 18th in pace.

I am not a fan of the rotations, decisions, inability to execute at crucial times, and use of talent on the roster.

I also agree there are bigger issues than Casey and they start and end with Colangelo.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I base my opinions on the Raptors since the Gay trade. Now the sample size is small (24 games) but it is still alarming in my opinion.

Since February 1st the Raptors are 21st in DefRtg and 23rd in OffRtg.

They are 18th in pace.

I am not a fan of the rotations, decisions, inability to execute at crucial times, and use of talent on the roster.

I also agree there are bigger issues than Casey and they start and end with Colangelo.
      Yep...It's difficult to think of teams that have been more poorly managed than Toronto since BC arrived. Obviously not every move he makes is garbage, but the roster has often been pretty garbage as a whole. The team seems to always have a flawed roster, and on top of that, has not been able to create an area of strength to make up for it. Again, it's not easy to think of more poorly managed teams in the last few years...Sacramento, Charlotte, Washington, Detroit. That's hardly the kind of company any of us expected this team to be in when they hired Colangelo.

Comment

according to NBA.com the offense is 15th right now since the loss of Gay with his injury, top 10 with Gay.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          according to NBA.com the offense is 15th right now since the loss of Gay with his injury, top 10 with Gay.
          Give a direct link please, because I don't believe that for one jota.

Comment

Check the power rankings on NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/powerra...?ls=nbahpfull1

Raptors
            Pace: 92.9 (24), OffRtg: 102.9 (14), DefRtg: 105.0 (23), NetRtg: -2.1 (20)

the current core needs a training camp under Casey to reestablish the defensive identity. The starters rank well defensively the bench just generates all negatives which results in our current low defensive rating 23.... :O

Comment

Here's what Casey is doing wrong:

He's not fulfilling expectations of a fan-base who thought this team would make the playoffs.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post

He's not fulfilling expectations of a fan-base who thought this team would make the playoffs.
                That is definitely true.

However he has done it without giving youth (in my opinion) enough opportunities, regressing on defense, and becoming isolation based on offense.

Comment

it has gotten to the point where i have no faith in this team whatsoever

Comment

Check the power rankings on NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/powerra...?ls=nbahpfull1

Raptors
                    Pace: 92.9 (24), OffRtg: 102.9 (14), DefRtg: 105.0 (23), NetRtg: -2.1 (20)

the current core needs a training camp under Casey to reestablish the defensive identity. The starters rank well defensively the bench just generates all negatives which results in our current low defensive rating 23.... :O
                    This says nothing about our offense since we got Gay; give a good link or don't make these statements

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      This says nothing about our offense since we got Gay; give a good link or don't make these statements
                      If you followed the NBA power Rankings you could find out yourself we were consistentlly top 10 since the Gay deal, he tok some nights off recently we were knocked down to 14th most recently... just do a little research its all there Im not going to link 6 different power ranking pages...

Comment

Casey's isolation heavy offense bails out the opposition by allowing them to rest on that end of the floor. We are not a threat scoring inside, we take way too many low percentage shots & we take too long to get into the offense.

Some of this is the make up of the personnel. We are composed of individual scorers, low IQ basketball players & quite frankly, we lack the overall skill level in order to be competitive. This includes the lack of good screeners, the lack of play makers, the lack of individuals who can make the simple pass.

To summarize, Casey's shortcomings is a result of a tremendously faulty roster that our brilliant general manager has blessed us with. Although I have been critical of Casey, I have also had the opportunity to coach a team (youth team, albeit). From experience, I can pretty much guarantee that a coach can only do so much & the players are left to execute on the court.

In a typical NBA game, you have a certain # of possessions which I believe ranges around 90 - 100 per game. You can't expect to run a play every single possession because there are breakdowns, fast breaks, etc. What you can control is the offensive philosophy & I find that our team takes long range jumpers more often than scoring inside as well as substitution patterns.

What I can criticize Casey on is the lack of creativity in terms of offensive sets. I feel that the plays take way too long to formulate & the lack of counter options when teams take away the obvious first & second options from our plays. But again, that is a direct result of the lack of choices in terms of personnel. We simply have too many like-minded players with similar skill sets & therefore, makes for a terrible combination.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post

What BC(not Casey) claimed was that they believed they had a chance to make the play-offs. Not only did BC claim that but the Media, Experts, Analysts etc, thought so as well. Not a definite play-off team but a team that will, if not barely make it, at least be close. The question is - did BC have reason to say that? Based on his off-season acquisitions and LAST YEARS SUCCESSFUL CULTURE CHANGE the answer is 'yes'.

This is where Casey has failed. From a defensive team last year they went to a run and gun team and then back to a defensive team and then neither to no identity whatsoever. This is not to say that he's not trying.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

If you followed the NBA power Rankings you could find out yourself we were consistentlly top 10 since the Gay deal, he tok some nights off recently we were knocked down to 14th most recently... just do a little research its all there Im not going to link 6 different power ranking pages...
                            These stats are for the whole year, useless for the discussion.

Comment

You cannot seriously believe that this team is a top ten NBA team. The top ten teams in the West are all clearly better than the Raps, as are at least 7 teams in the East. You could even add Washington and Milwaukee to that mix.

This is a bottom third team. With, or without, Rudy Gay.

EDIT: Sorry, misread the series of posts..... my bad.
                              Last edited by slaw; Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

"Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?"

He took a job working for Brian Colangelo.

Oh yes, and actually believed he could actually do something with Bargnani.

Comment

Working...
                                X