Canadian mens basketball team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian mens basketball team

Will the influx of the upcoming generation of Canadian basketball players to the national team make team Canada relevant? A team consisting of the likes of Andrew Nicholson, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson, Myck Kabongo, Nick Stauskas, Kelly Olynyk could be very solid in international play in a couple of years. And nothing helps a country with its sport culture as having a team capable of wining medals and competing. So do you think Canada will assemble a team that will compete for a fiba americas medal?

Forgot Tristan Thompson
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Wiggins could probably make the national team right now if he really tried.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        Wiggins could probably make the national team right now if he really tried.
        There was a recent story that Basketball Canada was about to hire former NBAer Mitchell Wiggins as an administrator to, in part, secure the participation of son Andrew in the national program.

Comment

Wiggins will be leading that team and Tristan Thompson too. It will be fun to watch

Comment

All we need is for JV to get Canadian citizenship and we're all set! Kidding aside, I do think that 5-10 years from now we should be able to hold our own against any and all international competition. We've got enough talent now, that there's reason for guys to play instead of just feeling good, as we've got legimate chances to get some hardware. Canada basketball looks more promising now then it ever has, and that's even if you don't include wiggins.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              All we need is for JV to get Canadian citizenship and we're all set! Kidding aside, I do think that 5-10 years from now we should be able to hold our own against any and all international competition. We've got enough talent now, that there's reason for guys to play instead of just feeling good, as we've got legimate chances to get some hardware. Canada basketball looks more promising now then it ever has, and that's even if you don't include wiggins.
              Just last night, watching Michigan and Stauskas (throwing up a brick storm, but whatever), I was thinking about how very soon, for the first time ever, the team may have to start cutting NBA level talent from the team (i.e. at PG, one of Kabongo/Pangos/Corey Joseph).
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                Just last night, watching Michigan and Stauskas (throwing up a brick storm, but whatever), I was thinking about how very soon, for the first time ever, the team may have to start cutting NBA level talent from the team (i.e. at PG, one of Kabongo/Pangos/Corey Joseph).
                I really like Corey Joseph, he's an elite defender and he did fairly well starting for the Spurs while Parker was out. Don't cut him.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                  I really like Corey Joseph, he's an elite defender and he did fairly well starting for the Spurs while Parker was out. Don't cut him.
                  Exactly my point; these arguments will be happening! Up till now, all we could do was hope that the NBA guys would play.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Having a talented pool of Canadian players to call upon is just a part of a successful national program. The program has struggled in the past to get the best on the floor in international competition. FIBA ranks Canada as 26th best in the world and we have been dropping in rank in recent years all the while Canadian numbers having been going up in both the NBA and NCAA.

Canadian professional basketball players have American and European agents rationally telling them to "screw the national program" because of the lack of financial reward and the additional wear and tear and risk of injury during a much needed recovery period between seasons.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      Having a talented pool of Canadian players to call upon is just a part of a successful national program. The program has struggled in the past to get the best on the floor in international competition. FIBA ranks Canada as 26th best in the world and we have been dropping in rank in recent years all the while Canadian numbers having been going up in both the NBA and NCAA.

Canadian professional basketball players have American and European agents rationally telling them to "screw the national program" because of the lack of financial reward and the additional wear and tear and risk of injury during a much needed recovery period between seasons.

I agree that in the past it's difficult getting the best guys to play (especially the guys that play in the NBA), but I think we're in a great position because, even if some NBA players opt to NOT play for Canada, we've got enough guys that the team will be made up of predominately NBA guys, similar to every other NON-USA powerhouse team.

I also think there's a tipping point that we're about to reach. In the past there was incentive NOT to play because we weren't going to win anything anyway. However, in the next few years we'll have ENOUGH talent, that guys will want to play because we'll have a real shot of winning some hardware; which would be HISTORIC and is a good incentive to play. I would argue that the more canadians in the NBA exponentially increases the drive that canadians in the NBA will want to play for the national team.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

What discourages participation in FIBA tournaments the most is the gruelling schedule, 8 games in 9 days and that sort of thing. Basketball Canada is near broke is another deciding factor. There are other programs beside the senior mens team that need funding like the senior women's, the junior and cadet programs.

Comment

On a different forum, I projected what I saw as the likely 2016 Olympic team, if everyone plays. Right now, I think it's:

C: Olynyk, Powell, Birch, Sacre
                          PF: Thompson, Bennett, Nicholson, Lyles
                          SF: Wiggins, K. Joseph
                          SG: Rathan-Mayes, Stauskas, Rautins
                          PG: C. Joseph, Kabongo, Ennis, Pangos

Let me know if you think I missed anyone!

It's very possible that by 2016, every single one of those guys has at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA (Pangos and Stauskas being the least likely IMO, and Ennis, Lyles, and XRM might still be in college in 2016, though I expect all to exit early). And there's a load of guys like Hanlan, Rivard, Pierre, Bhullar, who might still make it depending on how they develop. In addition to Rautins, there's a couple other guys in international ball who may be in the running as well. Devoe Joseph, for example.

It's a solid lineup that should be able to compete on paper with anyone other than the US, though lack of experience would be a massive weakness at this point, but everyone on the roster will be 27 or younger in 2016, which I imagine would make it one of the youngest teams at the Olympics. Some positions are deep enough (PF, PG) that you could play some guys out of their natural positions (C. Joseph at SG, Bennett at SF, for example).

I think the program should be looking at medaling in 2020, but a top eight finish in 2016 is also a realistic goal.

Anyway, I agree that it'll be really fun to debate and watch these guys over the next few years.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                            On a different forum, I projected what I saw as the likely 2016 Olympic team, if everyone plays. Right now, I think it's:

It's very possible that by 2016, every single one of those guys has at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA (Pangos and Stauskas being the least likely IMO, and Ennis, Lyles, and XRM might still be in college in 2016, though I expect all to exit early). And there's a load of guys like Hanlan, Rivard, Pierre, Bhullar, who might still make it depending on how they develop. In addition to Rautins, there's a couple other guys in international ball who may be in the running as well. Devoe Joseph, for example.

It's a solid lineup that should be able to compete on paper with anyone other than the US, though lack of experience would be a massive weakness at this point, but everyone on the roster will be 27 or younger in 2016, which I imagine would make it one of the youngest teams at the Olympics. Some positions are deep enough (PF, PG) that you could play some guys out of their natural positions (C. Joseph at SG, Bennett at SF, for example).

I think the program should be looking at medaling in 2020, but a top eight finish in 2016 is also a realistic goal.

Anyway, I agree that it'll be really fun to debate and watch these guys over the next few years.
                            Strong line up, looks like contenders for top 5 on paper. Should be something interesting for Canadians to witness, maybe some more love for basketball in general will be received after upcoming touraments. Noticed the surname (Stauskas) looks like Lithuanian, haha could be?
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post

This lineup looks very nice...I forgot about Rathan-Mayes. He's been really under the radar since he attends the same school as Wiggins. Still ranked in the top 50 on ESPN100 though.

I also think Kabongo could challenge Joseph for that spot in a couple of years. Both have really bright futures, but Corey's development may be a bit stunted if Parker's still with the Spurs going forward.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                              X