Canadian mens basketball team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Unheralded

A couple years ago who would have predicted that Canada would soon produce a #1 overall NBA selection, let alone what looks to be back-to-back #1 overall selections. When Wiggins goes #1 Canada will make history again in the NBA. This is a testament to a lot of hard work by a lot of people. Nash gets a lot of credit for his play but I think there are a lot of people all over the country who deserve a bigger pat on the back because Nash didn't coach these kids and there were already lots of great non-Canadian basketball role models.

That said, Nash no doubt created more interest in Canada and he's a future hall of famer so I'm not trying to take anything away from the man. I respect Nash a great deal.

Comment

This roster is lacking badly in the post. Anthony will play there but he's not much of a finisher at the basket. I think Sacre will be missed as much as Bennett.

Comment

World basketball powers shifting?

After winning one Olympic medal in almost a century of existence, Canada's men's basketball program has received an influx of young talent
        Canada's lone Olympic medal in eight appearances was a silver in 1936. The Canadians also have never medaled in 12 world championships. Two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash has been Canada's biggest basketball import.
        some of those young Canadian players think mighty USA Basketball should start to worry about its northern neighbors.
        "Canadian basketball is growing as we speak," Bennett said.
        "Most definitely," said Cleveland Cavaliers forward and Toronto native Tristan Thompson. "They still have the Chris Pauls, Kevin Loves, those guys that are talented.

"But as they start getting older, we're going into our prime with young guys that are talented and can make noise."
        Said Thompson: "It's a blessing and big for all of us in Canada. I feel like I'm the grandfather and [Bennett] is the young pup."
        "The development of any country is based on the talent playing in that country," Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "Canada is bursting with talent right now."
        Wiggins is the son of former NBA player Mitchell Wiggins, an American, but chose to stick to his mother's Canadian roots and passed on an opportunity to play for Team USA.

"I'd never want to turn my back on my country like that," Wiggins previously told Yahoo! Sports. "That's where I'm from. I have good times here. The program treats me right. USA already has a name for itself as a basketball country. Canada has not really established that yet. I want to be one of the reasons why we establish that."
        Source: Yahoo Sports

Comment

More on Kelly Olynyk's plantar fasciitis:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/inde...oston_cel.html

Comment

we have no 7 footers... Robert Sacre to the rescue!

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              we have no 7 footers... Robert Sacre to the rescue!
              He's already said he's not participating.. welp.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                He's already said he's not participating.. welp.
                Well fuck him too then, scrub!

Comment

I don't buy into the concept of the "golden age of basketball" has arrived with the current NMT roster. They will be challenged to qualify for the World Cup.

I am disappointed that Wiggins is ducking this event. Marcus Smart played in the U19 tournament and attended the USA NMT camp also this summer.

Comment

He's probably been advised against it and is just playing it safe by not participating.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Canada's path to World Cup qualification will be made easier with a number of significant no shows among NBAers such as Al Horford (Dominican Republic), Greivis Vasquez (Venezuea), Ginobli, Delfino and Prigioni (Argentina), Marcelo Machado retired from international basketball after the Olympics in London, while Tiago Splitter, Anderson Varejao and Nene may not play for Brazil in the FIBA Americas Championship 2013.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        Canada's path to World Cup qualification will be made easier with a number of significant no shows among NBAers such as Al Horford (Dominican Republic), Greivis Vasquez (Venezuea), Ginobli, Delfino and Prigioni (Argentina), Marcelo Machado retired from international basketball after the Olympics in London, while Tiago Splitter, Anderson Varejao and Nene may not play for Brazil in the FIBA Americas Championship 2013.
                        Nice if all of them don't show.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Here's a fun thought, does Canada have a chance to even win gold in 2016 or 2020? I know it sounds crazy, but when you look at the talent and athleticism they'll have, especially in the frontcourt, it's pretty scary.
                          I think Canada has a chance to medal in 2016. Assuming all the top players play.

2020 is the year where we'll battle the US for gold.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

by 2050 we'll be the best team ever

Comment

Canada vs Jamaica on Sportsnet 360 right now

Comment

Brady Heslip is LIGHTS OUT. That guy can shoot.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X