Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who says Canadian basketball players want to play for the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm still not quite clear what the argument is.

Would Canadian athletes want to play for the Raptors? Well yeah, but the Raptors need to start winning because winning trumps everything.

Would Wiggins want to play for Toronto? Well if he was drafted by them he would have to.

If Wiggins was drafted by Toronto will they become OKC overnight? Nothing in life is guaranteed but Wiggins looks like a sure thing (similar to how Lebron was a sure thing before he came into the NBA). All draft picks are crap shoots, but you weigh the risks and take the plunge. If it works out it could be great.

If Wiggins was a free agent and could choose his destination would he go to Toronto? Ask me again in 7 years.
    Most reasonable response I have received thus far !! :-)

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
      Wow...him wearing a Raptors snapback REALLY shows he cares for the team. If I wear a Sonics snapback, does that mean I'm destined to play for them too?
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        Wow...him wearing a Raptors snapback REALLY shows he cares for the team. If I wear a Sonics snapback, does that mean I'm destined to play for them too?
        Like your sarcasm but it's not as non meaningful as your are trying to portray. These small things matters.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Start this thread again is 7 years when hes a RFA for the inevitable media outburst of "Bring Wiggins home" and etc etc cause it will happen and we will probably get snubbed again.

I think people forget yes Canada is where Jamal and Steve are from/born in but it isnt where they live. Wiggins will likely go to the Bobcats or whatever and live here in Canada so signing in Toronto will have that perk to it. Can we get wiggins? I dont know maybe it depends on conditions.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Screw this, time to go read posts about how awesome JV is
            Nah come back, arguments are much better than this "agreeing" and "getting along" crap

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
              they also throw feces at each other, and eat each others lice directly out of their hair
              haha

Comment

RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
                Again, has he ever stated that he would prefer to play for the raps?? Why do we think that just because he is Canadian, he would want to put T.O. on the map and be the first to do so?
                Also, about JM. When did JM say that ? When he was an all-star or after multiple surgeries that made him the player you saw on the court after?
                No disrespect to JM, but when he could have put us on the map, he signed for more money and when nobody wanted his services, he joined the team. What's the difference between him and JO and his short stay here?
                Can't believe I'm even replying to this non-topic but this statement made me laugh. Your goal as an employee is to MAKE money. People go where more of it is being offered. Human nature.
                There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

1-Wiggins wont choose where he goes
                  2- post #4 explained it well
                  3- Piggybacking on #4 even KEVIN DURANT, yes KD wanted to play for the raptors until draft night.
                  4- People refusing to play in canada was 15 years ago, they didnt want to play for an expansion team, one of the 2 in another country which was new and scary at the time for them.
                  5-Nash left phoenix to contend not save BC's job. plus you cant argue with the Kids excuse.
                  6-Raptor fans wont get to choose wiggins even if we get the 1st pick, with Gay in town, BC might want Randle or Parker to put at the 4.
                  7-like the others said, horrible horrible thread.

Comment

this thread is so stupid...

Comment

Unless Wiggins wins a championship within his first 5 - 7 season, I am pretty sure he will sign with the Raptors. unless we get relocated

Comment

If you wear a Sonics snapback, no one would care.
                        If you can play like Wiggins, they would.

Comment

RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
                          Instead of calling this a poor thread, provide evidence to refute the claim.
                          When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?
                          How about I breakdown his reasons for him! I think I actually lost some brain cells reading this thread and the OT's arguments! You call yourself RaptorFan1995? You clearly don't know much! Let me point out every single stupid thing that comes from this article:

1. This whole topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with Canadian athletes whatsoever. This is the idea that Toronto is not a very attractive FA destination especially since we're not even a playoff team this year. This is already really obvious so thanks for posting an absolutely pointless thread.

2. You say that Wiggins won't even report to the Raptors since we suck. Man you are severely misinformed. Your support for this stupid claim is that Alonzo Mourning didn't report to the Raptors when he arrived here. You clearly didn't do any research whatsoever! We got Alonzo Mourning through the lopsided Vince Carter trade. This is very different from Wiggins not reporting to the Raptors since HE WILL BE A DRAFTED TO THE RAPTORS NOT TRADED! The only draft players that don't report to the team that drafted them are mostly 2nd round international players who sign with euro teams rather than play in the NBA. Andrew Wiggins will report to any team that drafts him regardless of how bad they are.

3. "Did Jamaal Magloire want to come to T.O. (even when he was a shadow of JM we got to see a few years back)?? He only showed up when the soup was being served..." He has even said himself that he is happy to be here and to be the first Canadian born player to play for the Raptors. He even accepted the job to be the Raptors' consultant and team ambassador.

4. "Tristan?" There was no way he could have been with the Raptors consider the Cavs have drafted him first! One of the only situations where a player actually landed in team he wanted, on draft night, despite being drafted by another team was Kobe and look how badly Charlotte regretted that decision! As to whether he wants to be on Raptors team, it is still not proven!

5. "When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?" I'm pretty sure Vykis and RandomGuy have already removed all validity of your statement. That's a picture of Andrew Wiggins wearing a Raptors cap which proves that he is a fan of the Raptors and therefore "proclaimed his love" for the Raptors. No draft prospect will ever say that he would rather be drafted by one team over another cuz it looks negatively on their image. Imagine Tristan Thompson saying "I much rather be drafted by the Toronto Raptors, since that's my hometown, than being drafted by the Cavs." That's like saying the Cavs suck so I don't want to be drafted by them.

6. "Why do we assume that AW would be a perfect match and that if we draft him, we are gonna be the next OKC??" NO ONE IS ASSUMING THAT WE WILL BE THE NEXT OKC IF WE DRAFT HIM! He will lead us in the right direction since he's a franchise player. He's a very talented player who has the potential to be a superstar in the future. This is what you look for in a draft prospect to become a high playoff team in the future.

Comment

Sorry it's just a link, don't know how to upload photos into a post.

http://bit.ly/Zg5eET

This is a picture my friend took when he saw Wiggins in Hamilton.

Wait...is that a Bulls hat?

What he wears means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Sorry it's just a link, don't know how to upload photos into a post.

http://bit.ly/Zg5eET

This is a picture my friend took when he saw Wiggins in Hamilton.

Wait...is that a Bulls hat?

What he wears means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
                              WRONG.
                              It means he likes that hat and Bulls as organization.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                WRONG.
                                It means he likes that hat and Bulls as organization.
                                Meh, he probably has a hat for every team or something.

Really, there's far too much attention being given to this topic in general. Anybody think a guy like Pierce, who comes from LA, ever pictured himself playing for the Celtics growing up? Things change very fast when you get drafted and start being paid. As pros they just look out for themselves, which is totally fine. That means they mostly care about getting paid, the opportunity to play, and the chance to be in a winning situation.

As long as guys play for their national team, no one should care what they choose to do as pros.

Comment

Working...
                                X