SGs: Who will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I disagree that DeRozan's offence would need to be replaced in any trade involving him, whether it be from a return of another SG or a PF as CalgaryRapsFan suggested. If he was moved, I would argue his offence production could be displaced (?) to other members of the team. Assuming the team next year has better offensive flow and ball movement, Fields would easily pick up 8-10ppg being a starter. JV will also be producing more next year, that's a given barring injury. Furthermore, if Lowry was being utilized appropriately, he would score more and help pick up the missing offensive production left by Demar's departure. The team would have to play much different than it does now, and that's a good thing either way, but I'm sure the 17ppg can be made up elsewhere on the roster.
    I agree, especially when you consider that on the season, DeRozan has averaged 15.0 shots to score those 17.6 PPG. He's shooting 43.5% overall and just 23.6% from 3pt. Heck, if you just gave his 15 shots to Valanciunas down low, I'd be willing to bet he'd score at least those 18 points! It's all about efficiency... one volume scorer is manageable, but an offense built around 2 volume scorers is a joke.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
      I hate to do this to you.....BUT you have some DUFF Beer Homer glasses on if you seriously think Landry Fields is a starter. I like fields....BUT he's a scrub plain and simple. He's not worth his pay cheque (EVERYONE knows this Matt!) Is this what you've come to? Is Landry Fields now the answer?

Have you even watched him play in the playoffs??? Check his stats in the playoffs that you speak of...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/landry...eer_stats.html

Let's here the excuses.....

YOU wanted the inefficient Rudy Gay (you even managed to convince some of us that it was the right thing to do). Did you see what it did to our "flexibility"?? If i'm not mistaken you also liked the Lowry trade (giving up our 1st rounder)......Look what this did for us.....We're a freaking lottery team dude! I'm an optimistic person at heart.....BUT this is the least optimistic i've ever been about this team.

Fields is a scrub right now. He was never that good to begin with! Please be honest......no more kool aid! Next your going to say that Andrea Bargnani is going to bounce back and give us a good year next year. LOL

This is what i know.... DD >>>>>>>LF. Without telling us who would come back in a trade......how the fcuk does LF starting at SG improve our team??? Are we really HOPING again?? Do we not remember what happens when hope gets in the way of reality?
      You hate to do what? Look short sighted? Mission accomplished.

Fields has been a starter and when healthy is likely to be a starter again. Is he a star? Hell no. But he is capable of doing a lot of things DeMar does not.

I did want Gay. Still want Gay. Don't want an offense surrounded by Gay running ISOs. More post ups, more ball movement creating driving lanes.

Did you look at the Raptors "flexibility" prior to Gay trade? It was shot out of the water with the DeRozan extension. Gay did not hinder Raptors flexibility, it was already gone.

Yes, I did like the Lowry trade. I'd also like to see Lowry play healthy and with a coach not trying to clone him in to Jose. The Lowry Toronto traded for is not the Lowry Toronto has asked to suit up.

You and I both share disappointment and lack of optimism with the team - common ground.

I think you should read through the thread. Fields is a scrub right now but he is showing improvements after a degenerative injury that had been ongoing for the better part of 2 years. To say he was never good to begin with is foolish, in my opinion. With a healthy elbow shooting 50%fg, 40%3pt, 75%ft, 6.4 rebounds per game... that is not scrub. That is efficient dirty work.

Bargnani bounce back? Please. #tradeBargnani

This is what I know..... Rudy Gay is better than DeMar and they have similar offensive games - except Gay is a much better rebounder and defender. How does LF starting at SG improve the team? Because there is only one ball on the court. You need guys who don't need the ball to be effective... that is not DeMar and it is very much LF. You need complimentary pieces - DeMar is not. "Your turn, my turn" basketball is doing what for Toronto exactly?

Without telling you exactly what comes back DeMar is the best trade chip Toronto has. This team has been going nowhere for 5 years and that is likely to continue at the current pace.

Opinions can change as circumstances change. I'm not hyping hope, I've got likttle. What I asked was who do you think is not to return from 3 wings. You don't like my opinion? Cool. There is an ignore feature you should look in to.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Apr 8, 2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I agree, especially when you consider that on the season, DeRozan has averaged 15.0 shots to score those 17.6 PPG. He's shooting 43.5% overall and just 23.6% from 3pt. Heck, if you just gave his 15 shots to Valanciunas down low, I'd be willing to bet he'd score at least those 18 points! It's all about efficiency... one volume scorer is manageable, but an offense built around 2 volume scorers is a joke.
        And that is the heart of the matter.

This is not about who is a better "player". It is about who do you want to work with moving foward - Rudy or DeMar? I'd go Rudy. With that settled, who fits better around Rudy - Ross, Fields, or DeRozan? Of the 3, DeRozan is the worst. How does the team get better - trade is only realistic option - who is best trade chip? DeRozan.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          I don't agree that you have to replace scoring with scoring (just look at swapping Gay for Prince in Memphis). Especially when you talk about a scorer who doesn't create a lot of space for others. For instance, I think a line-up with Channing Frye (right corner man) and someone like Anderson (left corner man - as mainly spot up shooter and defender) spreading the floor, lots of PnR with Valanciunas/Lowry, combined with post-ups (Gay and Valanciunas) and Lowry driving and dishing would be a worse offensive team.
          To make my point clear, it's safe to say that Gay, JV and Lowry/somebody else equally good are going to be starters next year. This leaves the team with two spots. One of the two must be the second scoring option along with Gay. The only way the team can get such a guy is if they give up something of value. Demar.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
            To make my point clear, it's safe to say that Gay, JV and Lowry/somebody else equally good are going to be starters next year. This leaves the team with two spots. One of the two must be the second scoring option along with Gay. The only way the team can get such a guy is if they give up something of value. Demar.
            Why? Lowry can score, Valanciunas can score. I don't agree that you have to think in terms of second or third scorers. You need a team of players that complement each other well and if you have a team with Lowry, Gay and Valanciunas and you add two players with range you should be able to get enough good shots.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              An unhealthy Fields already posts similar shooting percentages from similar distances as DD but he also moves off the ball, plays defense, and rebounds. I disagree with OK defense but even that is a step up from DeMar.

Your second paragraph make it sound like DeMar is a spot up scoring threat. When has he ever spot up for a jumper? He works off screens, ISOs for pull up jump shots, or in the post. He does not create space for his teammates.

Fields misses layups and has hit little to no jumpers all season... the only time he does score is on cuts and dunks because there are better offensive players out there taking attention away from him how many times has he been wide open to miss whatever he attempts unless he is already in motion? Countless. Im sorry I just dont see what everyone else sees in Fields beside the little things he does thats why he is a bench player.. His injury as well is a big lingering one it doesnt go away hes going to be having it looked at every so often..

At the end of the day its about making the team better, Id rather DeMar moved for something good and Ross start in his place and have Fields remain off the bench until his contract is up and he just leaves T.dot or stays for a new cheaper deal.
              Last edited by Rapstor4Life; Mon Apr 8, 2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                Why? Lowry can score, Valanciunas can score. I don't agree that you have to think in terms of second or third scorers. You need a team of players that complement each other well and if you have a team with Lowry, Gay and Valanciunas and you add two players with range you should be able to get enough good shots.
                JV particularly has shown signs of being an effective scorer. IMO though Raps. will be sensible in waiting for a little while before making him a definite 1st or 2nd scoring option.

Regarding my original post, I just wanted to mention that I'm not against acquiring the 2nd option by giving up a combination of other players. It's difficult, that's all
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I know Matt52 doesn't need my support but he can have it anyway. Landry Fields will start next season AND he will change the way basketball is played in this town. Now there's two of us.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                    Fields misses layups and has hit little to no jumpers all season... the only time he does score is on cuts and dunks because there are better offensive players out there taking attention away from him how many times has he been wide open to miss whatever he attempts unless he is already in motion? Countless. Im sorry I just dont see what everyone else sees in Fields beside the little things he does thats why he is a bench player.. His injury as well is a big lingering one it doesnt go away hes going to be having it looked at every so often..

At the end of the day its about making the team better, Id rather DeMar moved for something good and Ross start in his place and have Fields remain off the bench until his contract is up and he just leaves T.dot or stays for a new cheaper deal.
                    There is a site called stats.nba.com you should look in to. They shoot the same percent from 8 feet and in.... even with a bum elbow.

You know all those flailing no-calls Devlin goes on about? They are missed field goal attempts.

The bold works too.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      I disagree that DeRozan's offence would need to be replaced in any trade involving him, whether it be from a return of another SG or a PF as CalgaryRapsFan suggested.
                      Sorry my post suggested the above but I didn't mean that. I think his offence must be replaced but not necessarily in a trade involving him. It's just easier to acquire such a player by trading him. If a combination of other players can be sent to acquire such a player, why not.

As far as other players being 2nd options is concerned, I see JV developing into that guy but I think Raps. should wait.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        There is a site called stats.nba.com you should look in to. They shoot the same percent from 8 feet and in.... even with a bum elbow.

You know all those flailing no-calls Devlin goes on about? They are missed field goal attempts.

The bold works too.
                        To be honest....I don't think i've seen LF shoot 20 jumpers post surgery (and when he has its been pretty ugly). Check out the sample sizes....they are incredibly small. No matter how you try to spin it - Landry Fields can't shoot! I think its unrealistic to think that he will be anything more than a bench player UNTIL we see how he comes back next season.

Hope springs eternal in Raptorland.... It seems all we ever do is hope.

Hope Kyle can be a better all-around point guard.
                        Hope Rudy Gay will finally realize what a bad shot looks like.
                        Hope Bargs can net us a decent piece or hope he plays better.
                        Hope Landry Fields can figure out how to shoot.
                        Hope JV can turn into an all-star.
                        Hope TRoss can improve greatly next year.
                        Hope Demar learns how to be a better defender and 3 point shooter.
                        Hope DC figures out how to be a better coach and actually hold players accountable.

I just Hope BC gets fired (told to get lost)!

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                          To be honest....I don't think i've seen LF shoot 20 jumpers post surgery (and when he has its been pretty ugly). Check out the sample sizes....they are incredibly small. No matter how you try to spin it - Landry Fields can't shoot! I think its unrealistic to think that he will be anything more than a bench player UNTIL we see how he comes back next season.

Hope DC figures out how to be a better coach and actually hold players accountable.

How is that any different from any other franchise in any sport?

The Heat are on top of the NBA world right now, but I'm sure even their fans are using "hope"...
                          Hope we can repeat as champions.
                          Hope Wade doesn't break down.
                          Hope LBJ doesn't leave after next season as a free agent, per the various rumors.

As the saying goes, expect the worst and hope for the best!

As for Fields, I think you're undervaluing him. Nobody has said he's a better player than DeRozan, nor would he be expected to score the same number of points that DeRozan has. The whole point of replacing DeRozan in the starting lineup with Fields, while simultaneously using DeRozan to upgrade the starting PF position, is to create a better balance. You seem to be missing that point a little bit, from where I sit...

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post

Yes, I made note of the sample size in a post back a couple of pages.

I personally think it is unrealistic to think he will never regain his shot after a 6 months of rehabilitation and practice.

Yes, hope is all Raptor fans have and I agree with the last one more than any others.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Yes, I made note of the sample size in a post back a couple of pages.

I personally think it is unrealistic to think he will never regain his shot after a 6 months of rehabilitation and practice.

Yes, hope is all Raptor fans have and I agree with the last one more than any others.
                              But Fields is a strange fellow when it comes to shooting. He wasn't a particular good shooter (mechanically) in college but somehow suddenly was shooting better in his rookie year. I doubt that it's just his injury and the need for rehabilitation.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                How is that any different from any other franchise in any sport?

The Heat are on top of the NBA world right now, but I'm sure even their fans are using "hope"...
                                Hope we can repeat as champions.
                                Hope Wade doesn't break down.
                                Hope LBJ doesn't leave after next season as a free agent, per the various rumors.

As the saying goes, expect the worst and hope for the best!

As for Fields, I think you're undervaluing him. Nobody has said he's a better player than DeRozan, nor would he be expected to score the same number of points that DeRozan has. The whole point of replacing DeRozan in the starting lineup with Fields, while simultaneously using DeRozan to upgrade the starting PF position, is to create a better balance. You seem to be missing that point a little bit, from where I sit...
                                Your right ....it is somewhat similar to other franchises.....BUT doesnt it appear that we're ALWAYS hoping for things that others expect??? Like hoping to make the playoffs??....Hoping to get rid of useless players..... I'm patiently waiting for us to get some breaks!

However, I know who the culprit is. His name is Brian Collangelo. We had an all-star and he let him walk for nothing. He tried to change the Raptors into a Euro Style team and it backfired because he didn't even get us the best European players!

I don't want him touching the roster again! This means I don't want him trading ANYONE. I don't even want him firing Dwane Casey. He already got rid of Jose (who only received praises from BOTH Sam Mitchell and Dwane Casey).

As much as others want to blame Jose for our losing seasons I just don't buy it. I watched Jose make players around him better. I TRULY believe that if Jose had a better roster to work with (A Real PF/C - NO AB) I think we would be in the playoffs just as we were in his sophmore year. Jose also had a very young DD to work with in the starting line up for many years.

Come to think of it - Jose also had scrubs such as:

Jamario Moon, Petrius, Antoine Wright, Julian Wright, Hedo Turkglu for stretches in the starting lineup. WTF is this?? I guess people just forget that BOSH or JOSE never really got good players in their prime to work with. I guess this is why they never got out of the first round.

It's all on BC.

Let's not lose sight by thinking of players to trade and coaches to hire. I WANT A NEW GM to come in and make these decisions.

End Rant.

Comment

Working...
                                X