ESPN: Early Ride on the Coaching Carousel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treviso Basket bought by Colangelo Family

The Raptors announced today that Dwane Casey has assumed the position of Coach and General Manager of the Toronto - based team. Casey explained the changes that are to come into effect immediately:

Jose Calderone, a former star player with the team, has agreed to become player coach for the Raptors commencing in the 2014/15 season. Until that time, Calderone will play one final "farewell" year as the point guard for the team - sharing that role with their current Captain, Kyle Lowry.

Brian Colangelo has resigned to join his father Jerry Colangelo the new owner of Treviso Basket, a professional basketball team in Italy. The senior Colangelo purchased the team in March 2013. Rumour has it that the Colangelo family has purchased the contract of Anrea Bargnani from the Toronto NBA team so that Il Mago can return to ( the previously Benetton Treviso team and ) lead the Treviso squad.

Casey stated in his press conference that there will be 'a change in the way things are done around here' mentality from the coaching staff. "Any one of our players can choose to do a Kleiza and ride the pine for the entire season. But if the players are prepared to play my system then they can get up off the bench and actually enter the game."

Casey was surrounded by a contingent of his current players during the press conference. Notable by his absence was the latest star acquisition, Rudy Gay. When asked about Gay, Casey mentioned he was not available due to ongoing brain spasms that were being treated by the team psychiatrist at an undisclosed location in North Korea.

"Rudy should be back in plenty of time to participate in our training camp that starts the 2013/14 season." Casey said, fielding a question from the assembled press.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I hope both are gone.

Problem with Brown is he makes Casey look good when it comes to giving rookies a chance.
      planetmars wrote: View Post
      I actually don't believe that.. I posted this in another thread, and evidence shows that Brown plays a lot of rookies, and gives them heavy minutes. In Philly he gave a lot of minutes to AI and Stackhouse. In Detroit Prince played over 32 mpg. In Indiana, Dale Davis as a sophomore played the most minutes on the team.

Charlotte was a different story, but they had guys like Morrison, Hollins, Brown and Dudley.
      As I see it, Brown plays rookies if he thinks they can help him win. Don't give him a raw rookie with upside because that rookie won't be developed (at least not on the court); DeRozan would have had a really hard time getting on the court (in his rookie season) if Brown had been his coach.

Comment

Roarque wrote: View Post
        The Raptors announced today that Dwane Casey has assumed the position of Coach and General Manager of the Toronto - based team. Casey explained the changes that are to come into effect immediately:

Jose Calderone, a former star player with the team, has agreed to become player coach for the Raptors commencing in the 2014/15 season. Until that time, Calderone will play one final "farewell" year as the point guard for the team - sharing that role with their current Captain, Kyle Lowry.

Brian Colangelo has resigned to join his father Jerry Colangelo the new owner of Treviso Basket, a professional basketball team in Italy. The senior Colangelo purchased the team in March 2013. Rumour has it that the Colangelo family has purchased the contract of Anrea Bargnani from the Toronto NBA team so that Il Mago can return to ( the previously Benetton Treviso team and ) lead the Treviso squad.

Casey stated in his press conference that there will be 'a change in the way things are done around here' mentality from the coaching staff. "Any one of our players can choose to do a Kleiza and ride the pine for the entire season. But if the players are prepared to play my system then they can get up off the bench and actually enter the game."

Casey was surrounded by a contingent of his current players during the press conference. Notable by his absence was the latest star acquisition, Rudy Gay. When asked about Gay, Casey mentioned he was not available due to ongoing brain spasms that were being treated by the team psychiatrist at an undisclosed location in North Korea.

"Rudy should be back in plenty of time to participate in our training camp that starts the 2013/14 season." Casey said, fielding a question from the assembled press.
        Are you aware that it's not april 1st anymore?

Comment

we're doing fan fiction now?

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            we're doing fan fiction now?
            Don't you already do that all the time?

Comment

What happened with voting poll.... I was so happy couple days ago when it was 15-3, now its 22-15??? Conspiracy?
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                Don't you already do that all the time?
                nah. i'm pretty much as dysfunctional and depraved as i present myself here

it's when i take the moral high ground, you know i'm completely full of shit

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  What i want: Fire BC, Give Casey the option, see what he does with the team next season then determine whether to extend or not from there.
                  What will probably happen: Both get extended.

JV shouldve been BC's last hurrah. They shouldve fired him after picking JV, at least he still had some dignity intact. I think his reputation in the league is now sort of a saver of scraps. A taker of incognito stars. The raptors need a GM with fresh ideas and new strategies.

Casey seems like an old school coach, and we all know back then, unless youre a #1 draft pick you really wont get that much burn on the floor. Maybe JV and Ross were not earning their keep during practices thats why Casey were'nt giving them time during games.
                  I think we're in the minority but I agree. I want to see a whole year with this roster and Casey.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Wouldn't it have been nice if we retained BOTH Triano and Casey, but as assistant coaches. One for offense, the other for D. And then have a real head coach manage the players etc. The way it worked out is the way it has always worked out during the Colangelo era: plug one hole and opening up another. Fire an offensive coach who doesn't have a clue on defense, and replace him with a coach with a proven track record for D, but is apparently just as clueless as the first guy on the other end. The funny thing is, it has been the same way with players, most of whom only play on one side of the court.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                      Yikes, we're trading Demar and Bargnani - and not getting back a piece for the starting 5? That would hurt.
                      I'm with you on SVG and McMillan though ... Shaw would be another first-timer in Toronto, which doesn't excite me.
                      I didn't include a name because I really have no idea who the takers would be. I agree though, perhaps a starting 5 PF in Josh Smith? See that's why I didn't include a name for fear of ridicule (a man could dream right?).
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I feel like whoever the next coach would be that they must be able to appease the team's 2 biggest alpha-dogs in Lowry and Gay. We can talk strategy and style all day long but they need a coach that can get to those 2 specific players.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

He should not be fired. To say most people want him gone is misleading. More people than not who have responded to this thread want him gone. I think his popularity is still pretty high. I'd rather see Kyle Lowry gone first.

Comment

Sprechen wrote: View Post
                            He should not be fired. To say most people want him gone is misleading. More people than not who have responded to this thread want him gone. I think his popularity is still pretty high. I'd rather see Kyle Lowry gone first.
                            C'mon, internet polls responded to primarily by disgruntled fans are guaranteed, and I mean GUARANTEED, to have a margin of error of 100% or less.

It can't get any more precise that that!

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to fire Casey and keep Colangelo. Casey is an extension of Colangelo.

But I must say, I'd be shocked if Colangelo's extension is picked up. And unless the new guy is Stefanski, I can't see him sticking with Casey for another year.

Comment

We need to keep Casey and have some continuity on this team, if anything, bring in some assistants that can run and offense with DC.

Comment

Working...
                                X