Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

octothorp wrote: View Post
    Okay, show me where in this thread or the Pappas those things have been said. Because I've read through every page, and I have not seen anyone other than you talk about his wife, his kids, what language he speaks, where he's served, and or even what citizenship he has. Total strawman argument.

I think it's what an interesting question what really determines someone's national identity, whether it's what passport they have, where they live, where they were born, or what nationality they most identify with. It's totally fine for you as a Greek to identify everyone who has lived in Greece and talked positively about it as Greek. For those of us with an international interest in basketball, the fact that he's played internationally for Yugoslavia is really the most important consideration.
    He has an issue with using quotations for totally false paraphrasing.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Yes, I accidentally reposted the same article and then apologized to the original poster for not noticing his post. I also noted how that article made out his competition level to be quite low. Of course, I don't expect anything like an apology from you. At this point, I was just hoping you meant it when you said you were leaving the forum. You are not contributing to it in any way.
      The competition is not low for the point of this that were are talking about here. I have already explained this here. It's low by Euroleague standards. It's low by NBA standards. It's low by Greek standards. It's low by top FIBA standards in Europe like FIBA EuroBasket.

OK, this is what they mean when they say "low competition". Now, I am going to try to explain this another time, in as simple and easy to grasp way I know how, because although I have tried already to explain it in a clear manner, it seems the points are not getting through -

So I will try a simple way. It is lower than those above standards, which are elite basketball standards on a world scale. Alright, I hope you are with me so far...

However, it is definitely, absolutely, 100% positively NOT low, on the standard of NCAA Division I and NBA D-League. It is indeed a HIGH LEVEL competition against THAT standard. The point being, we are talking about the NBA draft, and comparing to other players that play in NCAA competition.

So he is NOT playing against "low level" competition at all as compared to what the NCAA players play against. He's playing HIGH level competition by that standard. Since we are talking about a draft prospect and comparing him to other draft prospects, that is the point and comparison to be used.

I hope that this makes it clear for you. I do not not know how else to explain it if you still do not understand.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        I wouldn't go so far as asking for a source being a xenophobe or a racist.. If there was a link that showed that Peja grew up in Greece, played for Greece, or has Greek citizenship then I think people would move on.

And a quick google search of "Stojakovic Greek" does show that he has a Greek citizenship (it's in his Wikipedia page)
        That still doesn't make that person of that ethnicity. You are always what your parents are. You can't change something like that no matter where you've been living.

EDIT: sarcasm just now realized
        Last edited by Sig; Sun Apr 14, 2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
          He has an issue with using quotations for totally false paraphrasing.
          There was not one thing false that I posted. I used an exact and direct and proper translation into English. You know what? I think I am just going to ask a moderator about their opinion on your antagonistic posts towards me.

Comment

It is a time like this I wish i was still a moderator.

Comment

Basilis wrote: View Post
              The competition is not low for the point of this that were are talking about here. I have already explained this here. It's low by Euroleague standards. It's low by NBA standards. It's low by Greek standards. It's low by top FIBA standards in Europe like FIBA EuroBasket.

OK, this is what they mean when they say "low competition". Now, I am going to try to explain this another time, in as simple and easy to grasp way I know how, because although I have tried already to explain it in a clear manner, it seems the points are not getting through -

So I will try a simple way. It is lower than those above standards, which are elite basketball standards on a world scale. Alright, I hope you are with me so far...

However, it is definitely, absolutely, 100% positively NOT low, on the standard of NCAA Division I and NBA D-League. It is indeed a HIGH LEVEL competition against THAT standard. The point being, we are talking about the NBA draft, and comparing to other players that play in NCAA competition.

So he is NOT playing against "low level" competition at all as compared to what the NCAA players play against. He's playing HIGH level competition by that standard. Since we are talking about a draft prospect and comparing him to other draft prospects, that is the point and comparison to be used.

I hope that this makes it clear for you. I do not not know how else to explain it if you still do not understand.
              Why so serious..?

Saying the same thing in different ways over and over again is no way to back up any of your claims. The article refers to it as low level, and thats all we know of 2nd division Greek leagues.
              Last edited by enlightenment; Sun Apr 14, 2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

There was not one thing false that I posted. I used an exact and direct and proper translation into English. You know what? I think I am just going to ask a moderator about their opinion on your antagonistic posts towards me.
                You have used quotations to mis quote every single member, probably multiple times. Go back through the forum, I was complaining about it for a long time.

Anyways, if you are right that you translated that quote DIRECTLY, then I want to see the original quote and the original quote's source.

Comment

Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

NO, DON'T CALL A MODERATOR, please don't. We're all going to be in trouble here. We're so sorry, it will never happen again.

Comment

• Basilis wrote: View Post

I do understand....You don't watch NCAA basketball enough. And I'm not even the biggest NCAA fan, but there's a reason the top NBA prospects in the world, and most of the NBA prospects in general, come from the NCAA, as do many players in top level European leagues for that matter.

He IS playign against a low level of competition. You just have to deal with that.
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 14, 2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Oh sorry, I missed this in all the madness.
                        No worries. I think everyone is just flustered because someone isn't using the etiquette that we usually follow and then calling people slanderous things. A lot of what he says (player wise) is correct but he should go read the rules of these forums before he considers posting here again. So many of us are foreigners, yet he calls all of us xenophobic Canadians (a term I've never heard since moving here). We're all frustrated. No worries...It probably needed to be re-posted anyway.

Comment

I do understand....You don't watch NCAA basketball enough. And I'm not even the biggest NCAA fan, but there's a reason the top NBA prospects in the world, and most of the NBA prospects in general, come from the NCAA, as do many players in European leagues for that matter.

He IS playign against a low level of competition. You just have to deal with that.
                          No, you're wrong, those players playing in high school courts are PRO's and I'm with Basilis this time.
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

For people who can't read Greek and want a story on Giannis....Seriously Basilis, you found an interview about him and you focused on the part about Peja.

This article sums up his situation in English. Basically the essentials are that he doesn't have his official citizenship yet, but that there's no reason it should be held up. They expect him to get his Greek passport with no problem and be able to play for national teams going forward as an adult. The article also mentions the substandard competition he's been playing, which is something I was saying before. And just before Basilis calls the writer ignorant, I asked one of my best friends, a die hard Greek basktball fan, about him and the A2 league, and he seemed to share my view that it's pretty bad basketball, and not nearly the level of even A1. Sorry I can't reference my friend, but that shouldn't matter apparently. Oh, he also thinks Giannis looks like a good player who should at least be like a poor man's Deng or Batum type, as his offense might struggle to develop to a high level, but he's got amazing athleticism, good instincts and can be a huge factor on D.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...5082/arti.html

Oh, and this article is a bit older than the Greek one, but from what I understood of the Greek one, it's basically the same still...just waiting for the formality of the passport process to go through.
                            Can we please set this behind us? Once again, I will explain it.........he does not have a Greek PASSPORT. PASSPORT. That means he cannot travel outside of Greece. He never applied for a Greek passport until very recently. Remember please that this guy just turned 18 not too long ago. He's a kid. He never left Greece, so he never had a reason to get a passport.

Does this make sense to you? If it does, let's get to the truth here OK?

He was born in Greece, has lived there his whole life, and is a documented person. He's not an illegal immigrant, an undocumented person, and all this nonsense which is coming from that Draftexpress article. In Greece, it is a law that you cannot attend Greek public schools if you are an undocumented person, and illegal, whatever.

Giannis and his brothers have been attending public school in Greece since they were very little kids and started at school age. They ARE fully documented, and they are NOT illegal immigrants or any of this other nonsense. This is all a big controversy that got started for no reason from that DX article.

What he does not have is a Greek PASSPORT. Because he is a kid, and he never traveled outside the country before. So all of a sudden the Nike Hoops Summit came up and he did not have a passport to play in it. Then this whole crazy nonsense started in US media about he's not Greek, he's an illegal, he is undocumented, he does not have citizenship, he can't play for Greece, etc.

Try to understand this. The issue was a PASSPORT. Which, as FIBA stated, he already applied for. Ioannidis, in that link I posted, clarifies that he already applied for it and that he is being processed now. Ioannidis stated that he is one of many people applying for the passport, so it takes time. They go one by one, in order, from when you applied.

He can't play at the Nike Hoops Summit because there is a back log of all the people ahead of him on the waiting list that applied before he did. Once it is his time to get processed, then he can travel outside of Greece. But he has to wait for his turn like everyone else.

Now, is this situation cleared up? I sure hope it is.
                            Last edited by Basilis; Sun Apr 14, 2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Basilis, you're quoted on one of your first posts in this thread as saying he DID have a Greek passport. But I mostly reposted it because I didn't notice it the first time and thought it would clear things up for people who can't read Greek.

I quote you for the 2nd time since you can't remember what you said:

ANOTHER BS from draftexpress............my God this poor kid. Draftexpress article ruining every fact about him.

He HAS Greek citizenship. He HAS a Greek passport. This whole thing was already debunked in Greek media weeks ago.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 14, 2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Basilis wrote: View Post
                                Can we please set this behind us? Once again, I will explain it.........he does not have a Greek PASSPORT. PASSPORT. That means he cannot travel outside of Greece. He never applied for a Greek passport until very recently. Remember please that this guy just turned 18 not too long ago. He's a kid. He never left Greece, so he never had a reason to get a passport.

Does this make sense to you? If it does, let's get to the truth here OK?

He was born in Greece, has lived their his whole life, and is a documented person. He's not an illegal immigrant, an undocumented person, and all this nonsense which is coming from that Draftexpress article. In Greece, it is a law that you cannot attend Greek public schools if you are an undocumented person, and illegal, whatever.

Giannis and his brothers have been attending public school in Greece since they were very little kids and started at school age. They ARE fully documented, and they are NOT illegal immigrants or any of this other nonsense. This is all a big controversy that got started for no reason from that DX article.

What he does not have is a Greek PASSPORT. Because he is a kid, and he never traveled outside the country before. So all of a sudden the Nike Hoops Summit came up and he did not have a passport to play in it. Then this whole crazy nonsense started in US media about he's not Greek, he's an illegal, he is undocumented, he does not have citizenship, he can't play for Greece, etc.

Try to understand this. The issue was a PASSPORT. Which, as FIBA stated he already applied for. Ioannidis, in that link I posted, clarifies that he already applied for it and that he is being processed now. Ioannidis stated that he is one of many people applying for the passport, so it takes time. They go one by one, in order, from when you applied.

He can't play at the Nike Hoops Summit because there is a back log of all the people ahead of him on the waiting list that applied before he did. Once it is his time to get processed, then he can travel outside of Greece. But he has to wait for his turn like everyone else.

Now, is this situation explained to you? I sure hope it is.
                                Are you saying, you've never claimed that he had a Greek passport?

Comment

Working...
                                X