Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    He's a tough on to gauge. I honestly have a hard time seeing him have an impact if he's drafted in the first round and brought over immediately. He has never played against a high level of competition. So, he seems like the ideal draft and stash pick, which bumps him automatically into the 2nd round. This makes it easier to acquire a pick that could potentially land him, but also less likely he'll still be around, because it's hard to believe he would last very long in the 2nd round. I'd be quite surprised if a team takes him in the first round though.
    He plays two different competitions. Something draftexpress obviously is very strange on showing the videos, making it look very distorted. They just say he "plays in second division in Greece" then say "the competition is really low", then they show YOUTH competitions from high school games.

Basically..........that's crazy. But these draft sites are all a bunch of hacks anyway.

Actually, he plays TWO leagues. The under-18 high school league, and in a senior men's professional league. And yes, the second division in Greece is a fully professional basketball league of grown men. It has many players in it that have played in first divisions of Greece, Italy, Spain, and guys that have played in Eurocup and yes, guys that have played in Euroleague.

It's a higher level than NCAA Division I. Draftexpress is doing something really bad against this kid, by showing all his clips against the high school players, and then saying it's the professional league he's playing in.

He's playing in a VASTLY higher level than what is shown in just the high school games. Let me put it like this.......

the clips of the high school games, that is what is called Greek D League. The senior league he plays on, with his actual team, Filathlitikos senior men's team.......that is Greek A2 League. Here is how that looks on Greek basketball pyramid:

1. Greek A1 League - pro league's 1st division, and one of the best leagues in Europe and the world
    2. Greek A2 League - pro league's 2nd division (where Giannis plays), higher level than NCAA DI
    3. Greek B League - Greece's semi pro level
    4. Greek C League - Greece's amateur level
    5. Greek D League - where the clips are from, the high school leagues.

But draftexpress is making it seem in these reports and videos that those high school games from the 5th level of Greece, are the ones that are the 2nd level of Greece.

I assure you, he is playing at a level that is VASTLY higher than what draftexpress is implying. Maybe they are too stupid to even grasp that the high school league isn't the the Greek 2nd division.
    Last edited by Basilis; Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

You mean D-League?

I know it doesn't necesarily mean 2nd round, but again, he's NEVER played against adult competition. Draft someone in the 1st round so they can spend 2-3 years in the D-League? I'm not sure that's the best route. Frankly, for skills development, I would trust a top tier European league more. 1 or 2 years playing for Olympiacos or Panathinaikos would be much much better IMO. A team could easily draft him in the 1st, but I don't think that's a good decision compared to the alternative.

*Add the knew frugality in decisions as teams are trying to avoid the tax, and it's extra reason for a team not to pay guaranteed money to an obvious project.
      Again FALSE and UNTRUE. Draftexpress is just nonsense. He plays in Greek 2nd division = fully professional men's senior league of grown men pro players.

TOTALLY SEPARATE league from what draftexpress is pawning off, which is a high school tournament.

Greek A2 League is loaded with pro players in their 20s and 30s. Guys that played first division in Greece and other good leagues like Italy and Spain..guys that played second European league (Eurocup), guys that played first European league (Euroleague).

The draftexpress stuff on him is extremely misleading when it uses high school games as a representation of an actual pro men's league in Greece.
      Last edited by Basilis; Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        Not to state the obvious BUT if BC is looking at this kid so is everyone else. That will drive up the price of any draft pick he tries to buy to get him. Also, this kid has some serious immigration issues. You thought that Persian guy the Raps traded for was an issue. Kid has citizenship nowhere. Because of how talented he and his brothers are it looks like the Greek government may help on that side of things...but there are a lot of hurdles for a pick they'll have to purchase, just to stash. Not saying he shouldn't do it. Just don't get your hopes up.

Also, a wise poster a few months back asked when was the last time BC targeted a player and moved up, down, or into the draft to get said player. Colangelo usually does nothing and takes what falls to him.
        ANOTHER BS from draftexpress............my God this poor kid. Draftexpress article ruining every fact about him.

He HAS Greek citizenship. He HAS a Greek passport. This whole thing was already debunked in Greek media weeks ago.

Comment

Basilis wrote: View Post
          Again FALSE and UNTRUE. Draftexpress is just nonsense. He plays in Greek 2nd division = fully professional men's senior league of grown men pro players.

TOTALLY SEPARATE league from what draftexpress is pawning off, which is a high school tournament.

Greek A2 League is loaded with pro players in their 20s and 30s. Guys that played first division in Greece and other good leagues like Italy and Spain..guys that played second European league (Eurocup), guys that played first European league (Euroleague).

The draftexpress stuff on him is extremely misleading when it uses high school games as a representation of an actual pro men's league in Greece.
          Ok man, calm down. The information on this kid is flawed because he came out of nowhere.

Do you have any evidence of how well he is doing in the A2 league?

*And possibly, any links to videos against such competition? Partly because I don't buy what you say about the competition. I've seen some ACB, LKL and Greek A1 ball...the bad teams in those leagues are arguably worse than better NCAA teams, so I can't see the quality of the A2 being that high, especially with the drop off after the better teams....just to say that the league he's playing in could easily affect his draft position. My thought is that at best, the better teams are about the same as the better NCAA teams.
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Apr 11, 2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

ANOTHER BS from draftexpress............my God this poor kid. Draftexpress article ruining every fact about him.

He HAS Greek citizenship. He HAS a Greek passport. This whole thing was already debunked in Greek media weeks ago.
            This is coming from the guy who said all these players are Greek:

Rasho Nesterovic

Kurt Rambis

Rony Seikaly

Peja Stojakovic

Kostas Koufos

Jake Tsakalidis

Marko Jaric

All of those Greek players had an impact in the NBA.

Comment

Not the best guy to take advice from

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Haha, whanted to say the same
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Ok man, calm down. The information on this kid is flawed because he came out of nowhere.

Do you have any evidence of how well he is doing in the A2 league?

*And possibly, any links to videos against such competition? Partly because I don't buy what you say about the competition. I've seen some ACB, LKL and Greek A1 ball...the bad teams in those leagues are arguably worse than better NCAA teams, so I can't see the quality of the A2 being that high, especially with the drop off after the better teams....just to say that the league he's playing in could easily affect his draft position. My thought is that at best, the better teams are about the same as the better NCAA teams.
                  Yes, there are full games of him from the A2 league available to watch for free on the internet.

Seriously.......NCAA better than top European leagues like ACB and A1..................... That's hugely insulting to European basketball.

It's become clear to me that this forum has an exceptionally low basketball knowledge.
                  Last edited by Basilis; Fri Apr 12, 2013, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Not the best guy to take advice from

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                    Haha, whanted to say the same
                    Not one person here was able to disprove the Greek citizenship, living in Greece as kids, or being raised in Greece, and Greek basketball development of those players. NOT ONE person.

You just trolled, OUTRIGHT BLATANTLY LIED, and acted like incredibly rude, xenophobic and ignorant jerks.

Yeah, they have Greek citizenship, they were learning basketball in Greece, etc. But yeah, suddenly none of that is true because a few IGNORANT clown trolls on this forum said so.

You have ZERO credibility. ZERO.

I mean yeah, nothing Greek at all about this guy (after all, he's just doing TV shows in his HOME country Greece to show people in USA where he came from and where he still lived in summers during NBA off season - yeah how the hell could he be Greek???):

Seriously, you are so ignorant it's disgusting.
                    Last edited by Basilis; Fri Apr 12, 2013, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Yes, there are full games of him from the A2 league available to watch for free on the internet.

Seriously.......NCAA better than top European leagues like ACB and A1..................... That's hugely insulting to European basketball.

It's become clear to me that this forum has an exceptionally low basketball knowledge.
                      Ok, well first off, I said the A2 is at best probably around the better NCAA level, and that the worst A1 teams are arguably worse than the better NCAA teams. This isn't so outlandish.

I have watched plenty of ACB and A1 ball. The bad teams in those leagues are really really bad. I would say that in any given year, such weak teams are arguably worse than top NCAA teams, which can be stacked with one and done talent (like last year's Kentucky team). Last year's Kentucky team was better than some NBA teams according to certain analysts....are you telling me that still every team in the A1, and even A2 was better than them?

So, I don't think anyone is being too ignorant...and I question your objectivity
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 12, 2013, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Ok, well first off, I said the A2 is at best probably around the better NCAA level, and that the worst A1 teams are arguably worse than the better NCAA teams. This isn't so outlandish.

I have watched plenty of ACB and A1 ball. The bad teams in those leagues are really really bad. I would say that in any given year, such weak teams are arguably worse than top NCAA teams, which can be stacked with one and done talent (like last year's Kentucky team). Last year's Kentucky team was better than some NBA teams according to certain analysts....are you telling me that still every team in the A1, and even A2 was better than them?

So, I don't think anyone is being too ignorant...and I question your objectivity

I don't know anything about this kid...all I know is that if you can get a 6'10 SF, I usually would take them.

Problem is he doesn't seem to be an elite offensive player....I think he would benefit from a year or two in the NCAA...

I hope no one yells at me...I will go on record and say that Greece is great, all basketball players from Greece, who lived in Greece or who have BEEN to Greece are also great

Comment

he does have really excellent control and instincts, two things you can't really coach. very intriguing prospect.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                            I don't know anything about this kid...all I know is that if you can get a 6'10 SF, I usually would take them.

Problem is he doesn't seem to be an elite offensive player....I think he would benefit from a year or two in the NCAA...

I hope no one yells at me...I will go on record and say that Greece is great, all basketball players from Greece, who lived in Greece or who have BEEN to Greece are also great
                            Oh I totally agree that he's fully worth a pick. And I have no problem with him playing in Europe for a year or two in the ACB or A1 (his contract is owned by an ACB team, so he should be over there next year). My comments originally were just to point out that the league (or leagues after being corrected) he's playing in are not exactly high-calibre competition, and that it just adds to how unpredictable his situation is. He's a hugely intriguing talent, but if the Raps wanted to target him, I don't know what kind of pick it would take ....20s? a 2nd rounder?

About offense, tha'ts extra hard to tell with a young player who just had a growth spurt. He looks to have good skill level, so I'd have to think some aspects of his O will come along just fine, and some may even be stalling as he fills out. As ceez noted, he has solid control and instincts, so I don't think you're looking at a pure physical talent, there are definitely some impressive ball skills there to build off.

Comment

Not one person here was able to disprove the Greek citizenship, living in Greece as kids, or being raised in Greece, and Greek basketball development of those players. NOT ONE person.

You just trolled, OUTRIGHT BLATANTLY LIED, and acted like incredibly rude, xenophobic and ignorant jerks.

Yeah, they have Greek citizenship, they were learning basketball in Greece, etc. But yeah, suddenly none of that is true because a few IGNORANT clown trolls on this forum said so.

You have ZERO credibility. ZERO.

I mean yeah, nothing Greek at all about this guy (after all, he's just doing TV shows in his HOME country Greece to show people in USA where he came from and where he still lived in summers during NBA off season - yeah how the hell could he be Greek???):

Seriously, you are so ignorant it's disgusting.
                              Can I summarize your post? If yes, then:
                              "Greece, Greek, Xenophobic, Home country, Greek, Lied, Zero, clown trolls, ignorant, disgusting, jerks"

So you're basically saying
                              That we are rude.
                              That you love Greece.
                              That you love every player who has played in Greece.
                              That you are nationalist.
                              That you are here to debate everything Greece related

And I'm basically saying.
                              This is Raptors fans forum.
                              You don't seem to be nice and reliable source.
                              And:
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                Can I summarize your post? If yes, then:
                                "Greece, Greek, Xenophobic, Home country, Greek, Lied, Zero, clown trolls, ignorant, disgusting, jerks"

So you're basically saying
                                That we are rude.
                                That you love Greece.
                                That you love every player who has played in Greece.
                                That you are nationalist.
                                That you are here to debate everything Greece related

And I'm basically saying.
                                This is Raptors fans forum.
                                You don't seem to be nice and reliable source.
                                And:
                                Hahahaha i literally fell on the floor laughing

Comment

Working...
                                X