National Post: Amir Johnson, Raps MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Post: Amir Johnson, Raps MVP

Since it's all doom and gloom these days in Raptorland (as per usual in April), here's a positive read on one of the few current Raptors worth watching and cheering for:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...uable-players/

There's a bunch of good bits in here but this is pretty eye-popping:

Start here: With Johnson on the floor this year, the Raptors score 1.10 points per possession (an equivalent team would be sixth in the league) and allow 1.05 (the equivalent of 11th). With him on the bench, those numbers fall to 1.01 (28th) and 1.14 (30th).

The overall plus/minus that he puts up is also a huge factor.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious that he has been the MVP, and those numbers just support that. He's not the most talented player on the floor, but he does his job damn well, which is more than can be said of any other Raptor excluding JV.

Comment

In my opinion, Amir has been the MVP of the team for the last three seasons (post-Bosh era). Definitely my favourite Raptor. Not always consistent but he puts his head down and plays hard for the most part, and that's what I'm always looking for as a fan.

Comment

I think Demar should be included with a co-MVP. Consistent, durable, and having a career year. But, Amir has been consistent THIS season with his efforts, and obviously a big part of what this team does.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

And to think, just a few months ago, many here were thinking we should've traded Amir (instead of Davis).

Blasphemy!

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              I think Demar should be included with a co-MVP. Consistent, durable, and having a career year.
              Consistently mediocre.

Comment

amir=boss
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'm perfectly fine with keeping him as our starting PF. Stop it with this "he's a solid third big" and bullshit like that...we're clearly at our best when he's out on the floor.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I wanted to post a quote but the National Post was making it a pain in the ass.

Basically, there's a paragraph where Casey says, "There's something to be said for Johnson's development model, where he wasn't "force fed minutes" but learned to play the right way in practice." This I believe, underscores Casey's philosophy of how to play rookies, ie DON'T.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      In my opinion, Amir has been the MVP of the team for the last three seasons (post-Bosh era). Definitely my favourite Raptor. Not always consistent but he puts his head down and plays hard for the most part, and that's what I'm always looking for as a fan.
                      That's wonderful. Hurray, Amir Johnson has been the most valuable player of a team that hasn't been able to win 80 over 3 seasons! Go Amir!

(sadface)
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        I'm perfectly fine with keeping him as our starting PF. Stop it with this "he's a solid third big" and bullshit like that...we're clearly at our best when he's out on the floor.
                        I think the issue is that our best sucks.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          I think the issue is that our best sucks.
                          I agree lol. We're not amazing with him on, but we're certainly better when he is.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                          X