RaptorTalk: Bryan Colangelo Won’t Be Patient With Early Losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorTalk: Bryan Colangelo Won’t Be Patient With Early Losses

I'm kind of glad that BC isn't about to sit back and wait after a third of the season has gone by to make changes if things don't improve soon. That being said, I don't want any haste decisions either. Sounds like a case of the "we're screwed if you do and screwed if we don't".

Prior to the impressive win against the Chicago Bulls, the Raptors’ GM was interviewed on the FAN 590. Eric Smith suggested that patience was in order and that Bryan needed “at least 25 games before he knew what he had with his roster”.

Not surprisingly, the impatient hoops executive quickly dismissed the idea and said “we’ll know what we've got by the end of the month”.

By the end of November, the new look Raptors will have played only 18 games – but Colangelo is convinced that he will know if he has a team that is poised to be a player in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

If he doesn't like what he sees by then, one can assume that changes will be made.
    Source - Click here

I assume that Bosh, Bargnani and Turkoglu are off the board trade wise.

Outside of Jose Calderon there isn't a lot of trade value amongst the rest of the players. Colangelo's options for improving the team look limited.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post

Outside of Jose Calderon there isn't a lot of trade value amongst the rest of the players. Colangelo's options for improving the team look limited.
      A little harsh again on Bargnani. Don't forget that there are always GMs out there who think that they can extract something out of a player even though he hasn't shown that ability yet. Rebounding is Bargnani's weakness and don't discount a GM falling in love with his offense and working with him on his defense (something I think both Mitchell and Triano failed at).

Talent-wise, he has value. His salary could be the only thing throwing a wrench at a potential trade but that can always be fixed by taking something back.

Comment

If the Raps aren't poised to make a playoff run by December, BC has decide to trade Bosh by the deadline.
        RR OG

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
          If the Raps aren't poised to make a playoff run by December, BC has decide to trade Bosh by the deadline.
          Trading him by the deadline would seem like a haste decision especially because we still stand a great chance in re-signing him. Worse case scenario is that he's dealt in a sign-and-trade before July 1st next summer. I can't see Bosh giving up max money either way.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
            Trading him by the deadline would seem like a haste decision especially because we still stand a great chance in re-signing him. Worse case scenario is that he's dealt in a sign-and-trade before July 1st next summer. I can't see Bosh giving up max money either way.
            At some point before the deadline, Bosh and Colangelo will sit down and have an honest and frank conversation from which BC will walk away knowing 100% whether Bosh will re-sign or walk. At least that's how it should be and if Bosh is fair to the Raps (which he should be), he'll give BC the chance to deal him.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
              A little harsh again on Bargnani. Don't forget that there are always GMs out there who think that they can extract something out of a player even though he hasn't shown that ability yet. Rebounding is Bargnani's weakness and don't discount a GM falling in love with his offense and working with him on his defense (something I think both Mitchell and Triano failed at).

Talent-wise, he has value. His salary could be the only thing throwing a wrench at a potential trade but that can always be fixed by taking something back.
              There we go, both quotes, okay ... Arsenalist,

In my quote up above I was only considering the Raptors -- That they wouldn't be interested in trading any of those three players. Not that other teams wouldn't be interested in acquiring them.

My reasons for that:

Bosh -- He's playing close to an MVP level right now. Unless Bosh tells Colangelo he won't resign next summer then I think there's no way BC looks to trade him now especially since the value of those trade offers will be below Bosh's value as a player.

Bargnani + Turkoglu -- Why give them $50 million and then trade him a few months later? It seems too soon. A year from now, maybe, but not at this point. I'd me massively surprised if Colangelo tried to move either player this year. I think he'd rather try to move other pieces to make those two work better first.

Also, Derozan, too soon after being drafted from him to be the principal in a trade given his potential + performances + likely trade value.

I don't think Colangelo will try to trade those players. Therefore, the only remaining options are trading bench players or trading Jose Calderon -- Calderon is the guy who I think is in trouble here. He's the only remaining player with enough trade value to bring back an impact player in a trade.

I think Calderon is the most likely player to be traded out of the Raptors core.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

Don't forget that there are always GMs out there who think that they can extract something out of a player even though he hasn't shown that ability yet. Rebounding is Bargnani's weakness and don't discount a GM falling in love with his offense and working with him on his defense (something I think both Mitchell and Triano failed at).

Definitely. There will be plenty of teams interested in Bargnani and will be willing to offer substantial trade packages in return for him.

I don't think his contract changes his trade value much, I think it's still comparable to where it was prior to the deal. The only GMs that will be interested in Bargnani will be those who love his game or love his potential ... and in neither of those situations is a $10 mil a year contract for a seven footer who scores 20ppg a problem. The contract extension, for the most part, I think is a non-issue.

That's why I want to trade Bargnan. Because Colangelo could get good value in return for him.

I believe Bargnani has much better value as a trading asset than as a player. As such, I think the Raptors could improve by moving him. Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
                  Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                  I agree with Doc Naismith.

(1) The Raptors are the frontrunner to re-sign Bosh until Bosh says otherwise. Totally because of the financial benefits afforded to players who stick with the teams that hold them ($30 mil or so for Bosh).

(2) The trade packages offered for Bosh are too poor. There isn't enough value. You take a far greater risk by trading Bosh for one of those offers than by waiting it out and trying to sign him in Free Agency (even if he does leave, whether it's in a sign and trade or not).

At some point before the deadline, Bosh and Colangelo will sit down and have an honest and frank conversation from which BC will walk away knowing 100% whether Bosh will re-sign or walk. At least that's how it should be and if Bosh is fair to the Raps (which he should be), he'll give BC the chance to deal him.
                  Most likely, 80-90% likely in my view, I don't think Bosh will know whether he's staying with the Raptors or not at mid-season.

The only way I see Bosh making up his mind prior to the season ending + free agency opening is if he has an extreme reaction to the team's performance + future during the season. Whether that's positive and Bosh wants to stay or negative and he wants to leave. And, I think it's highly unlikely that Bosh has that extreme of a reaction to the situation.

Will Bosh have a reaction? Yes, and I reckon it'll be disappointment because I think the Raptors are a .500 team or slightly below. But that extreme of a reaction? That his (un)happiness with situation decides his future then and there, halfway through the season, I just don't think that is likely to happen.

There is no upside for Bosh -- or LeBron or Wade -- to decide their futures before they have to. They'll wait until the offseason and view their options when they have the most information available to them and then make decisions ... that's the best move for each one of them.
                  nbaroundtable

Comment

Last year Bryan sat patiently hoping the JO/Bosh experiment would work over time. When he finally reacted by dealing away JO, it was too late - the Raps had dug a deep hole.

I can't see that Bryan waits that long, if things aren't going right. That said, I see more promising signs this season than I did last saeason.

Bottomline is that Bryan wants to win now so that Bosh doesn't walk.

Comment

Everyone will know what the Raptors are made of by the end of the month. It may not show in the record, but the trend will be there.

There will be teams wanting to make deals in Dec, especially after the 15th when free agents signed in the off season can be moved.

Also look for NO to make a move for luxury tax purposes. Chris Paul is done for a month and their playoff hopes just went with him! The Raps could make a run at Okafor if they are willing to take back at least a million more in salary than they send over.

And would anyone be surprised if more GSW players find themselves on the trade market?

Don't look to Colangelo to give up assets - he'll be looking to add talent!
                      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                      X