Raptors Free Agent targets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Free Agent targets?

So I saw this on Bleacher Report (I know silly site take what it is with a grain of salt etc)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...this-offseason

The players listed are intriguing to me though.

SG/SF Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    SG J.J. Redick
    SF/PF Carl Landry
    PG Devin Harris
    PF/C Carlos Boozer
    C JaVale McGee******
    PG/SG Jarrett Jack******
    PF/C Luis Scola

I put*** beside the ones there are no shot of landing. J.Jack was already here and is likely going to stay in GS and Mcgee is a talented knucklehead likely staying in Denver. The list is interesting Toronto is in rumors for these players.

I'd like Redick, but I have a feel he's worth the very least 3/4 of the MLE.

Devin Harris as a back-up guard to Lowry would definitely be nice, although he has had past inconsistent seasons.

No to Carl Landry, a big can be attained via trade, and a better one at that. Dunleavy JR. might be a good pick-up for the right price, solid shooter, solid defender.

I do no want Scola for same reasons as Landry, and he's old.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Via Trade:

- Big man, preferably a power forward.
      - Back-up point guard to Kyle Lowry

Via Free Agency:

- Wing defender AND OR shooter.
      - Back-up point guard to Kyle Lowry, IF trade isn't viable.

Roster:

Lowry, (Back-Up), Lucas/Telfair
      Derozan, Ross, (shooter, veteran, and or defender)
      Gay, Fields, (shooter, veteran, and or defender)
      (Big man), Amir, Acy
      Valanciunas, Gray

Comment

Well this list IS from Bleacher Report so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Other than Landry I've seen none of these posted as rumors. On message boards they have been mentioned as the types of players the Raps should be looking at, but that's it. Of the list:

SG/SF Mike Dunleavy Jr. - Don't think he's available (haven't heard rumors)
        SG J.J. Redick - Can't afford
        SF/PF Carl Landry - Intrigued
        PG Devin Harris - Would be nice (haven't heard rumors)
        PF/C Carlos Boozer - I doubt they can get him for Bargnani. Isn't really a fit for what the Raps need.
        C JaVale McGee****** - No. Cool guy, but no.
        PG/SG Jarrett Jack****** - Why? So he can be bitter that he doesn't start here?
        PF/C Luis Scola - Most fans wish for this guy but no rumors I've seen that the Raps have asked for him.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          PF/C Carlos Boozer - I doubt they can get him for Bargnani. Isn't really a fit for what the Raps need.
          Huh?

The only reason you don't trade for Boozer is if you think the contract is too high or you're concerned about his injury history.

In terms of fit, Boozer is EXACTLY what we need.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
            Huh?

The only reason you don't trade for Boozer is if you think the contract is too high or you're concerned about his injury history.

Agreed.

Comment

I don't see the Raptors as big free agency players unless you are looking at an MLE signing (and even then it might end up being a mini-MLE depending on who they get back for Bargnani).

A trade seems the most feasible but the only real assets on the table appear to be the 2014 pick, Ross, or DeMar and you don't just give those assets away.

If a free agent was picked up, I'd want to go after a backup wing to replace AA/Pietrus in case of injury like Barbosa maybe? I'd want to pick up a backup PG and PF via trade.

Comment

we need another center.
                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

The title of the thread and the article are not in sync.

The article is talking about obtaining veteran players - it is not all through free agency.

First things first, anyone looking to make more than $5M per season you can ignore in free agency: good bye Redick.

Secondly, I don't even know how this is typed:
                  Kyle Lowry/Devin Harris (free-agent add using amnestied Kleiza contract)/Lucas III
                  amnestying Kleiza does not put the Raps below salary cap and it does not create an exception.

Of the list:

SG/SF Mike Dunleavy Jr. Sure
                  SG J.J. Redick No chance.
                  SF/PF Carl Landry Raps need bigger upgrade than this in big man rotation.
                  PG Devin Harris No. Healthy always concern. Underachiever. Inconsistent.
                  PF/C Carlos Boozer For Bargnani with a pick? YES!
                  C JaVale McGee Not going to happen.
                  PG/SG Jarrett Jack Been there done that and I think he has earned a MLE from just about any team in the league this season.
                  PF/C Luis Scola I like Scola. But I think he is at the point of his career where he can earn more in Europe.

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                    we need another center.
                    I don't think that is the case, Gray does a great job with the big traditional centers, what we need is a 3rd big with length and mobility that can play the 4 and 5 spot. Gray only a 5, Acy, only a 4....
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      Huh?

Personal opinion on that one. Not exactly loved for his defense, even in Chicago (or at least on message boards). Is he better than Bargnani? Hell yeah. Do I trade Boozer for Bargs? Yes. Is that possible? No. Do I trade any of the Raps real assets for him? No.

But that's me.

Comment

If we get a starting 4 and amir plays off the bench cant Acy earn his spot off the bench and Amir play C? Doesnt sound bad to me really. This way we dont have to play Gray at all unless we really need his size/foul trouble situations..

Comment

Carl Landry is a very solid, hard working PF putting up very consistent numbers throughout his career.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                            If we get a starting 4 and amir plays off the bench cant Acy earn his spot off the bench and Amir play C? Doesnt sound bad to me really. This way we dont have to play Gray at all unless we really need his size/foul trouble situations..
                            That's exactly what I posted in another thread. Johnson would be the 3rd big in a primarily 3-big rotation, with Gray & Acy both available for spot minutes, depending on matchups. Against big opposing C's, then Gray would get playing time. Against smaller opposing C's, then Acy would get playing time in a smaller lineup. Either way, the bulk of the C & PF minutes would go to Valanciunas, the new starting PF and Johnson.

The problem is that I only see 2 possible ways to acquire an upgraded starting PF, that would be good enough to push Johnson to the bench:
                            1. trade Bargnani (possibly with Ross as sweetener) - seems less likely, unless Boozer (or outside shot at Gasol)
                            2. trade DeRozan - seems more likely

I don't see any way of accomplishing this via free agency.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              Personal opinion on that one. Not exactly loved for his defense, even in Chicago (or at least on message boards). Is he better than Bargnani? Hell yeah. Do I trade Boozer for Bargs? Yes. Is that possible? No. Do I trade any of the Raps real assets for him? No.

But that's me.
                              Why? Do you not believe the rumours or confusion on CBA?

After July 1st, one for one Bargnani for Boozer works straight up.

Comment

Working...
                              X