Raptors Free Agent targets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Why? Do you not believe the rumours or confusion on CBA?

After July 1st, one for one Bargnani for Boozer works straight up.
    How does that work?

Bargnani's salary will be $10.75M, which means the Raps could take back up to $13.5375M [(10.75*1.25)+0.1], but Boozer will be making $15.3M. Given that the Raps will be far over the cap, don't they need to stay within the confines of the formula?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      How does that work?

Bargnani's salary will be $10.75M, which means the Raps could take back up to $13.5375M [(10.75*1.25)+0.1], but Boozer will be making $15.3M. Given that the Raps will be far over the cap, don't they need to stay within the confines of the formula?
      It's outlined in Coon's salary cap faq:
      http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

A team that is not a tax-paying team can take back a player worth the outgoing player's salary + $5M. $10.75M+$5M = $15.75M which is enough to take on Boozer's contract.

The only rule is that the team has to be under the tax after the trade.. I think amnestying Kleiza can make that happen.

Comment

I just want to say that I am not a Boozer fan for this team, I really don't feel he brings what we need to put us over the top. His salary is more expensive and lasts the same length as Andrea's. He does play out of the high post well, but I don't see him as enough of an upgrade to make me excited.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          How does that work?

Sorry, amnesty Kleiza first. But even with that you are still correct. I thought the threshold was when the luxury tax implications came in... I was wrong.

Bargnani's trade value is actually $11.28 due to his 5% trade kicker.

Interesting how JL3's contract added makes up the difference. Still saves $2.5M ($6.25 salary and tax) for the Bulls which is good but more importantly sees $4.8M come off their 2014-15 payroll to sign Mirotic. JL3 was a favourite in the locker room and of Thibs, too.

But yeah, I was wrong on the one for one.... and I"ve said that in a few other threads.... sorry.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Sorry, amnesty Kleiza first. But even with that you are still correct. I thought the threshold was when the luxury tax implications came in... I was wrong.

Bargnani's trade value is actually $11.28 due to his 5% trade kicker.

Interesting how JL3's contract added makes up the difference. Still saves $2.5M ($6.25 salary and tax) for the Bulls which is good but more importantly sees $4.8M come off their 2014-15 payroll to sign Mirotic. JL3 was a favourite in the locker room and of Thibs, too.

But yeah, I was wrong on the one for one.... and I"ve said that in a few other threads.... sorry.
            5% trade kicker for Bargnani?? Ugh... BC really needs to go.

Comment

I don't think most people on this forum realize how important Amir Johnson is to our defensive rotations. Ask yourselves, how many times have we seen a game turn around when Amir goes down/is taken out? Hell we wouldn't have been up by 20 at half last night if it weren't for Amir's 6 blocks, it would have just been open lanes all game. With Boozer, we'd be getting a horrible team defender who might help us on offense but would need the ball in his hands taking away from Jonas, Rudy and Demar as well as Ross. Amir is exactly the high-efficiency guy we need on offense, the type who doesn't need set plays to score. Plus, he's our best defender and rebounder and is starting to hit some long jumpers.

Comment

No, people respect Amir here. The issue is whether he does his thing as a starter or if he improves the bench. The Raptor bench is BAD. Amir could be the first sub on for the PF or C position. That would dramatically improve the bench. I don't think that's necessary, if the Raps get a solid low cost big then all of Amir's pluses stays with the starters and they save a bit of money. Other's don't think that's viable, hence, they want to bring in a PF like Boozer.

No one is under estimating Amir's presence on this team.

Welcome to RR.

Comment

qb5PHILA@hotmail.com wrote: View Post
                  I don't think most people on this forum realize how important Amir Johnson is to our defensive rotations. Ask yourselves, how many times have we seen a game turn around when Amir goes down/is taken out? Hell we wouldn't have been up by 20 at half last night if it weren't for Amir's 6 blocks, it would have just been open lanes all game. With Boozer, we'd be getting a horrible team defender who might help us on offense but would need the ball in his hands taking away from Jonas, Rudy and Demar as well as Ross. Amir is exactly the high-efficiency guy we need on offense, the type who doesn't need set plays to score. Plus, he's our best defender and rebounder and is starting to hit some long jumpers.

Amir is greatly appreciated on this team.

He can play 30 minutes coming off the bench just like he can starting.

As was mentioned, the Raps bench sucks. He is a great benefit coming off it because he can play both PF and C plus he is a total class act, team player who plays balls out. Those guys are in short supply in starting lineups and pretty much non-existent coming off the bench.

Comment

If boozer is on the table for bargs you make that trade and don't look back. I think Amir absolutely has earned the starting spot, and if we don't land a PF who can score down low and in the high post like booze you roll with him. But if you can get booze you do cuz Amir will still see 30mins like most ppl who've wtched all season have noted. Then you go after a back up pg someone like earl watson ( believe hes a FA and wouldn't be expensive) or CJ miles ( prolly won't leave bkn but you can try). Those are the type of back up pgs you need.

I think if we can't trade bargs we amnesty him, and make a run at a veteran rotational PF like elton brand and a shooter or back up pg like korver/dunleavy or watson/miles.

One more thing, despite devin harris' inconsistencies over the years ..hes a MAJOR upgrade to anything we currently have.
                    Last edited by C-Low; Thu Apr 18, 2013, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Boozer's contract is a bit too scary for what you're getting as a player and personality imo. Since we are talking about trade possibilities as much as free agents I would love to see the Raptor's put a package together to try and get one of the true beasts of the East which nobody talks about, Al Horford. Horford next to JV and Amir would give us one of, if not the best front court in the East.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        Boozer's contract is a bit too scary for what you're getting as a player and personality imo. Since we are talking about trade possibilities as much as free agents I would love to see the Raptor's put a package together to try and get one of the true beasts of the East which nobody talks about, Al Horford. Horford next to JV and Amir would give us one of, if not the best front court in the East.
                        I think it would take trading JV to Atlanta to get Horford back. I think they love Horford over there and will not be giving him away cheaply.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          I don't think you get Horford without giving up JV.

Comment

Guys just because Amir CAN start doesn't mean the team is best served by it. He will give you the exact same energy and effort off the bench. I can not tell you how important a deep bench is come playoff time. He will still play starters minutes, he may even be on the floor at the end of games. Just remember there are 96 minutes to go around between the 4 and 5 positions, and to not have any drop off is huge.
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Someone work out a boozer trade where we also get Butler. Sweet sweet Butler.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I think it would take trading JV to Atlanta to get Horford back. I think they love Horford over there and will not be giving him away cheaply.
                                I agree that trading for Horford wouldn't be easy, but considering since he's come to ATL, Danny Ferry has unloaded both the Joe Johnson contract as well as Marvin Williams, and not made an attempt to resign Josh Smith to an extension it's clear he's trying to unload salary to go after a "big fish" in the off season, aka Dwight Howard. If he strikes out he will be looking to the summer of 2015 when LeBron along with a plethora of other star players become free agents.

If trading Bargnani plus our first rounder in next years draft gets him further under the salary cap as well as increases the chances of Atlanta's pick being higher (via tanking) the move may make sense to him. Two shots at Wiggins is a good thing for a team looking to rebuild.

Another scenario which may play out is that if we are approaching next years trade deadline and the season is going the same way as this years is then a team like ATL that is looking to make big moves in free agency would really covet Rudy Gay's contract. Actually any team looking to go after free agents in the year of LeBron free agency would covet that contract, so perhaps a Gay for Horford and filler would be appealing to both teams at that point.

Comment

Working...
                                X