Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Gay/DeRozan's new found 3pt prowess is sustainable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iblastoff wrote: View Post
    I don't think both will. I do think at least one of them will emerge as the consistent 3 Pt threat.

Realistically i think demars corner 3s are going to go up.
    In my mind, I want it to be Amir!
    That is the only 3 point shot I have any faith in DeMar can consistently knock down.

I think Rudy can shoot near 40% again as he did prior to his shoulder injury. He needs work with McKechnie all summer strengthening his body. It appears to me he has weak legs, a weak core, and I would not be surprised if he is still weak from his shoulder injury.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
      Maybe Demar was just really dead set on proving Hollinger wrong with only 33 wins predicted.

I don't think either of them will ever be a Steph Curry and Klay Thomson combination, but they will improve. I feel like even if Derozan is willing to take those shots it has to keep defences honest, and Gay was just having a really bad slump when he arrived.

But more importantly, I'm 99% sure Derozan, Gay and Casey realise they need to be able to hit the 3 ball better to open things up even more, especially if they plan on going to Valanciunas in the post more offseson, so I'm confident they'll work on it this offseason.
      i just rewatched the GS vs Knicks highlight reel where curry knocked down like 11/18 threes. i think his 3pt% is actually higher than his regular fg% which is insane.

Comment

I put no, but I think Rudy is more likely to become a consistent long-range shooter than DeMar.

Rudy has great form and it looks really smooth on release, while DeMar's 3-point shot looks somewhat forced. If he can get back to the high-30%'s range that he was a couple years ago, we'll be just fine.

And face it, DeMar's fallen in love with the 20-footer, and he's becoming quite good at them, so let him be because that's where he is most comfortable. Yeah yeah, I agree it is the most low-percentage shot in the game. But if he can hit 50-60% from that spot in the future, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Would be nice if either of them could develop a corner three. Leaning towards DD on this one.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

DeMar is not jumping as high anymore when launching 3's -- which is a good sign. It throws off the accuracy when you're using too much legs.

Also, part of the reason they were making a sh!t load of three pointers the last few games is because they were taken in catch and shoot situations off penetration.

So, in that context, they will get better in that regard IF those shots are set shots rather than curling off screens. I wouldn't expect + 36% from the both of them though over the course of the season, so no for me.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I think DeRozan is going to at least TRY and become a better 3 point shooter, and I think he'll succeed. Think about 2-3 seasons ago when he could barely knock down a shot outside of the paint, now he's one of the better (maybe one of the best) midrange SGs in the league.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
              I think DeRozan is going to at least TRY and become a better 3 point shooter, and I think he'll succeed. Think about 2-3 seasons ago when he could barely knock down a shot outside of the paint, now he's one of the better (maybe one of the best) midrange SGs in the league.
              I agree he has improved but not totally true.

2009-10:
              less than 8ft: 60.1
              8-16ft: 45.3
              16-24ft: 35.6
              24ft+: 28.6

2012-13:
              less than 8ft: 56.1
              8-16ft: 39.5
              16-24ft: 41.4
              24ft+: 28.3

Source: stats.nba.com

He has improved the least efficient shot in the game.

By the way, NBA stats site is awesome. Looking through stats I noticed in 16-24ft shot range, DD is 2nd in the league in attempts:

1. Aldridge 506
              2. DD 449
              3. Kobe 378

In makes he is also 2nd:

1. Aldridge 212
              2. DD 186
              3. Bosh 174
              6. Kobe 152

Interesting look at Kobe's breakdown on shooting percentages from distance:

2012-13:
              less than 8ft: 60.0
              8-16ft: 49.0
              16-24ft: 40.2
              24ft+: 32.4

Biggest discrepancy when looking at attempts:

Distance: DeMar/Kobe
              less than 8ft: 401/518
              8-16ft: 261/292
              16-24ft: 449/378
              24ft+: 120/401

A grain of salt is needed because Kobe is a black hole but 16-24 feet is the area with 3rd most amount of shots where as it is DeRozan's 1st. If Kobe is who he is modelling his game after he needs to drive more and work on that 3point shot.

Comment

I like what Dwane Casey said about what DeMar needs to improve

(1) Ball handling which leads to better pick and roll play

(2) Continue working on the 3 point shot

(3) Counter move when defenses close out on the shot assuming DeMar does become consistent with the shot -- which is a shot fake - drive

(4) First step launching from a standstill position

He pretty much said what I was thinking DeMar needs to improve on. I hope DeMar listens -- I'm sure he will. I'm excited to see what this translates to going into next year.

If DeMar improves on those, hit shot distribution will resemble more of Kobe's. Right now, he's not shooting as much from within 8 feet because he's limited to cuts under the basket, straight line drive after shifting the defense & off post ups. He doesn't have the creativity to weave through the defense to get a shot in the paint ... yet ... or so I'm hoping.

Also, if the Raptors continue on with more drive and kicks, I see DeMar shooting more from either 24 ft + or under the basket.
                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                X