Front office drama: "I never tried to fire Casey." - Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front office drama: "I never tried to fire Casey." - Colangelo

TORONTO - Bryan Colangelo categorically denies he made any attempt to fire coach Dwane Casey during the NBA season.

In a text message response to columnist Steve Simmons, who reported in Wednesday’s Toronto Sun that Colangelo had tried to oust Casey during the season, the Raptors general manager wrote: “Your speculation about me trying to fire DC this year is absolutely false. Your ‘insiders’ are not accurate.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/17...asey-colangelo

Drama.

It sounds to me like BULLSHIT reporting. BC never seemed inclined to give up on Casey. Not even the fanbase is fully in agreement that Casey should be fired, and its usually us reacting first!
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

My guess is the columnist was just desperate for some news/something to write about. It's one thing to publicly criticize the media, but the way BC personally contacted the guy means there was little to no truth involved.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        It sounds to me like BULLSHIT reporting. BC never seemed inclined to give up on Casey. Not even the fanbase is fully in agreement that Casey should be fired, and its usually us reacting first!
        Maybe. When the team was 4-17 Colangelo went on TV during a game and said it wasn't a talent issue, which pointed the finger squarely at the coaching staff. Then, just to cover his bases, he also took that opportunity to throw his #5 overall pick and future of the franchise under the bus, back over him, and then park on his legs.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Colangelo was politicking all season and blaming various people for his failures. It's been his M.O. for 5 years and it's worked. He's ran through a laundry list of coaches and players only to fail with every single Frankenstein monster he's created, yet, here he is and there is no indication he is going anywhere.

My guess would be that they'll keep BC for one more year, he'll keep Casey, the team will start slow and Casey will be gone mid-season. Then, Colangelo can blame next season's failure on having to bring in a new coach who needs a full training camp. And back on the merry-go-round we go....

Comment

we desperately need a winning season around here to turn around some of the cynicism.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            Maybe. When the team was 4-17 Colangelo went on TV during a game and said it wasn't a talent issue, which pointed the finger squarely at the coaching staff. Then, just to cover his bases, he also took that opportunity to throw his #5 overall pick and future of the franchise under the bus, back over him, and then park on his legs.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Colangelo was politicking all season and blaming various people for his failures. It's been his M.O. for 5 years and it's worked. He's ran through a laundry list of coaches and players only to fail with every single Frankenstein monster he's created, yet, here he is and there is no indication he is going anywhere.

My guess would be that they'll keep BC for one more year, he'll keep Casey, the team will start slow and Casey will be gone mid-season. Then, Colangelo can blame next season's failure on having to bring in a new coach who needs a full training camp. And back on the merry-go-round we go....
            If Raps blow next year there is no question Colangelo is gone. I think he should be gone now but given the state of the roster (ie. contracts) I think he gets one more season.

As for Casey, it will be telling how things play out based on any assistant coach changes. If they bring in an established coach with head coaching experience, I would feel the noose tighten a little if I were Casey.

Comment

This is exactly why BC needs to go now.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                This is exactly why BC needs to go now.
                Yeah, I really lost a lot of respect for him during that interview.

Comment

Did Colangelo try to fire Casey? I doubt it.

Would it suprise me if he did? Not at all.

Casey, in a sense, marginalized two of Colangelo's biggest peices.

1) he finally accepted Bargnani was not the franchise player. Made note that Ed was likely to stay in the starting line up
                  2) he moved Colangelo's big offseason accusition (Lowry) to the bench to play behind the guy Colangelo had tried to trade away for years (Jose).

Conviently both these 'issues' were rectified by the Gay trade.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Yeah, I really lost a lot of respect for him during that interview.
                    He talks like a politician.....and many Raptor fans take his word at face value. He has presided over 5 consecutive losing seasons.....that speaks loudest to me.

Comment

For what it's worth, there were stories in December about Casey being on the hotseat. Colangelo denied it whenever he was asked, but the reports cited front office sources who confirmed it. Eric Koreen, in a Twitter conversation this morning with @accfanto (aka dagger, a regular poster on RealGM who I think also used to post here) mentioned that, saying "I can't get into details on that, other than saying what we reported was 100% accurate."

Sounds to me like it probably happened. Those are two of the Raptors media folks who know their stuff and don't usually 'play the company game', IMO.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I thought this was rather humerous from the Grange article

There was a script. The script has been followed. I’ve tried to live up to every aspect along the way
                        I feel like this organization, this management team, this coaching staff has acted in a way consistent of that plan
                        So given what transpired from the end of last season to now, the 'script was'

- take action with the assumption the playoffs are in sight
                        - verbalize in every way possible, although without explicitly saying, the goal is the playoffs
                        - get knocked out of any reasonable playoff contention between games 15-20

Who the hell writes these scripts? And why can't I use them at my job?

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                          I thought this was rather humerous from the Grange article

So given what transpired from the end of last season to now, the 'script was'

- take action with the assumption the playoffs are in sight
                          - verbalize in every way possible, although without explicitly saying, the goal is the playoffs
                          - get knocked out of any reasonable playoff contention between games 15-20

Who the hell writes these scripts? And why can't I use them at my job?
                          You forgot the final act of the script:

-When you fail to meet expectations, claim that you're exactly where you planned on being the entire time

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                            You forgot the final act of the script:

-When you fail to meet expectations, claim that you're exactly where you planned on being the entire time
                            Just keep lowering the bar. After 7 seasons, we are now at the point where just making the playoffs next year, even if just for one year and in 8th place, would be considered a massive success.

It's funny cause after the 2008 season, I remember fans being hugely disappointed they couldn't get past Orlando into the second round of the playoffs and had seemingly maxed out as an Atlanta type team. Now, 5 years later, no one even talks about winning a playoff series anymore.

Comment

Just keep lowering the bar. After 7 seasons, we are now at the point where just making the playoffs next year, even if just for one year and in 8th place, would be considered a massive success.

It's funny cause after the 2008 season, I remember fans being hugely disappointed they couldn't get past Orlando into the second round of the playoffs and had seemingly maxed out as an Atlanta type team. Now, 5 years later, no one even talks about winning a playoff series anymore.
                              I don't know how often teams go from missing the playoffs to winning a championship in a year. At this point making the playoffs is a big step and you build from there.
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                              X